Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s Traynor YGM-3 advice

Hi

I have a 1970s Traynor YGM-3. It is a superb amp, I need some advice on a replacement speaker if anyone can help.

It's a 20-25w amp. When I bought it I was given the (terrible) original speaker and a replacement, a Cannabis Rex by
    Eminence rated at 50w / 8 ohms. There's nothing wrong with the Cannabis Rex, it sounds good but it's not quite what I'm after ...

I don't play in massively loud bands, the amp doesn't need to be way up in volume ... my issue is that it only seems to get
    to that nice sweaty cooking sound louder than I would normally have it ... I was wondering if this was in part due to the
    speaker rated much higher than the amp?

Can anyone advise me on a perhaps lower rated speaker to try?

I'm very far from rich at the moment so lower cost would be preferable

Just to clarify, I'm more of a country picker than anything so I'm NOT looking for a burning 'classic rock' sound ...
    I'd be much more into the Fendery end of things than anything Marshally, say ...

The Cannabix Rex is ok, just a bit lifeless in my context and I wanted a bit more drive (but not too much) ... awkward b**ger aren't I?!

Many thanks, Danny

It's not the wattage rating that creates the difference you are concerned with, rather the sensitivity of the speaker. Usually rated as 'db at 1W/1meter'. The C Rex is rated 101.8db, something with a lower rating (3db less should be noticeable) will allow you to get the amp working at higher power to achieve the same loudness.
    Some others here may have actual brand/model recommendations.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Cheers

Comment

I have a 1970 YGM-3 as well.
        I put a Celestion G12H in mine and it sounds awesome!
        Kinda pricey speaker tho, but for me it was worth it.
        That speaker seems very well suited to this amp,
        I have also used it with several other amps (solid state and tube) and sounds very good with those as well.
        It just may be my favorite speaker, I'd own more of them if I could find them on sale somewhere.
        YMMV.

These amps have a "bright cap" I think on the PI???
        I haven't looked at the schematic for some time.
        Anyway, snip that out, it really helps tame the thin trebly sound.

Last edited by galaxiex; 10-22-2020, 01:14 AM.
        If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
          These amps have a "bright cap" I think on the PI???
          I haven't looked at the schematic for some time.
          Anyway, snip that out, it really helps tame the thin trebly sound.
          Excellent suggestion. I've seen it referred to as the 'fixed presence' cap. Everyone who tries snipping it out seems to like the result and it seems to be the #1 suggested mod for these.
          C11 on the schematic attached (in parallel with R13 of PI). Other versions may have a different designation but that is the position in the PI circuit.

Attached Files
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            Excellent suggestion. I've seen it referred to as the 'fixed presence' cap. Everyone who tries snipping it out seems to like the result and it seems to be the #1 suggested mod for these.
            C11 on the schematic attached (in parallel with R13 of PI). Other versions may have a different designation but that is the position in the PI circuit.

Ya, C11 or C31 depending on which schem you look at.
            BTW some of those schems floating around have mistakes in them, something like 2 R's with the same number, things like that...
            If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
            I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Interesting stuff, cheers
              I'm thinking of one of these:
              https://www.thomann.de/gb/jensen_c12...ntage_8ohm.htm

Comment

Something "American voiced" has been suggested for a country picker like me

Comment

Why go all the way to Germany?
                  Speaker price is fine but International Freight will MURDER you.

As ofthe speaker,I was chiming in to su8ggest a Jensen typespeaker, the soundyou are asking for.

Bright and squeaky, "the" american sou nd speaker (even if currently made in Italy), much better than the dark voiced Cannabis Rex.

IF you can splurge, upgrade to the Jensen C12N, the classic "Twin Reverb speaker" ... hope you can live with that

Basic same sound as C12Q but meatier and louder.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Postage seems to be Ģ8? I think I can survive that ...
                    Am I missing something? I'm in the UK if that matters ...

Comment

Originally posted by drdanny View Post
                      Postage seems to be Ģ8? I think I can survive that ...
                      Am I missing something? I'm in the UK if that matters ...
                      Actually yes.
                      Suggestions depend heavily on where you live; and unless stated otherwise, users are assumed to be in USA, simply because of Forum location and statistical reasons.

Itīs always a good idea to fill the "Location" field in the User Profile page.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I agree with JMF.... consider the Jensen C12N. I installed a C12K (100 watt) in my Peavey Encore 65 tube amp... sounds great. For most other amps, I pretty much go with Eminence speakers, mainly the Legend series.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                          I agree with JMF.... consider the Jensen C12N. I installed a C12K (100 watt) in my Peavey Encore 65 tube amp... sounds great. For most other amps, I pretty much go with Eminence speakers, mainly the Legend series.
                          Cheers - out of interest, what would the C12N have over the C12Q that I was looking at?

Comment

Look up (google search) "C12Q vs C12N" and you will find several posts where guys are giving you an opinion on sound, breakup, highs, mids, etc. You can look up the speakers on Musicians Friend or other site. The N has the heavier magnet and rated for 50W. The Q is rated for 35 watts. Perhaps you can find some demos on YouTube.

Comment

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X