Peavey VTB 300 - What do you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VTB 300 - What do you know?

It's big. It's heavy. It has lots of tubes. It was cheap. I understand it's a 200 watt bass amp. Any love for these?
    Attached Files

Wrongly placed output tubes. Place them in the middle (2 and 3)
    It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      Wrongly placed output tubes. Place them in the middle (2 and 3)
      Wrongly placed and the wrong tubes. Ones is and EL34 and the other is a 7435. I think the amp uses 6550 output tubes.

Comment

There was a story that these may have been handmade by Hartley Peavey. Unofficial specs I've found were kind of weird, 200 watts at 2 ohm, 150 at 4 ohms, 100 at 8 ohms, or something like that. Schematic wise is is supposedlly 1/2 of a VTA400, so 1 channel instead of 2. I think the output section is the same. I have a VT300 (maybe same as VTB300? ) that I got as a fixer but haven't gotten around to working on yet.

Comment

There was a post about this amp on the peavey forums. A member from peavey posted that they have a schematic for it. Call peavey.
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
            There was a story that these may have been handmade by Hartley Peavey. Unofficial specs I've found were kind of weird, 200 watts at 2 ohm, 150 at 4 ohms, 100 at 8 ohms, or something like that. Schematic wise is is supposedlly 1/2 of a VTA400, so 1 channel instead of 2. I think the output section is the same. I have a VT300 (maybe same as VTB300? ) that I got as a fixer but haven't gotten around to working on yet.

I read that they were designed by Hartley Peavey in 1969. Handmade by Hartley would be something, but hard to believe.

Comment

We all definitely want gut shots of the amp too. Very curious indeed.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/peavey-vtb-300-schematic.952692/
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                  We all definitely want gut shots of the amp too. Very curious indeed.
                  Here you go.

Attached Files

Comment

Recapped and new power tubes. Never found the actual schematic. Never heard back from Peavey support. It's 200 watts of sterile tube power.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Compare layout your Peavey VTB 300 with schematic VTB 300 (maybe?), which is based on schematic #8
                      The difference in schematic is minimal, and is most likely in the value of the parts.
                      If it's not hard for you, I would be grateful if you would upload the corrected schematics.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	VTB 300 maybe.GIF
Views:	350
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	930291
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                        Compare layout your Peavey VTB 300 with schematic VTB 300 (maybe?), which is based on schematic #8
                        The difference in schematic is minimal, and is most likely in the value of the parts.
                        If it's not hard for you, I would be grateful if you would upload the corrected schematics.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	VTB 300 maybe.GIF
Views:	350
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	930291
                        Oh where were you when the amp was apart on my bench. If I have another chance to take it apart, I will surely check the schematic.

Comment

A bass player in NJ saw a pic of the amp and responded that they used to own the amp. He sent me this story.

In early 1975, when I had been playing bass for about 6 months, I found a VTB300 complete with it's original refrigerator sized folded horn 1-18" speaker cabinet for sale in the local paper for $250.00. Turned out the seller was Al Sucz... (later Alec John Such of Bon Jovi) he decided to quit playing in rock bands in favor of club gigs at that time, and was getting rid of the big bass amp, or at least that's what he said. He gave me 50 bucks in trade for the little Univox UB250 I'd been using. I tried the amp out, rattling the china on the shelves in his parent's house for a few minutes, handed him $200.00, (all the money I had in the world at the time) and me and my old man roped the monster (with with "Shazam" stenciled on the head and cabinet) into the trunk of his '71 Pontiac Catalina, and we were off... Upon seeing this collossus of an amplifier, my Mom refused to let it in the house! Now what was I going to do? It sat on the front porch overnight, I had hoped she'd change her mind by then but nope, no way. I called Alec, his mother answered the phone and said he'd gone on a skiing trip. Oh boy, now what? I called a friend who owned a Chevy Vega wagon and asked of he would drive me around to some local music stores to see if I could recoup my $250.00 and get the massive pariah of a bass amp out of my life without too much financial damage. After a whole day of offers around $100.00 (with me laying next to the huge 1-18" cab in the back of the Vega like a mummy in a sarcophagus, since a 3rd friend was riding shotgun) we returned home, and the amp was returned to its place on the front porch. Another friend said he knew a kid who might want it, and introduced me to him. He had a Traynor YBA1A (great amp!) with a matching 2-15" cabinet (AWFUL cabinet!) that he offered to trade me even up. I said, OK, if my Mom will allow the Traynor in the house, which, mercifully, she did.

Comment

Working...
                          X