RedBear N 602 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RedBear N 602 Head

Ok... where is Stan (km6xz) when I need him!!! With my best fake Russian accent and channeling Captain Marko Ramius of the ballistic missile submarine Red October, "I present you the Russian made Tube Amp RedBear N 602."

This is one of the amps I have in my possession from my friend's estate. I know very little about RedBear, expect that I see the MK 120, MK 60, something called the "Cub", but I have never seen this one or can find anything on the net.

The good news is that the amp is working, passing a signal through both channels, but it appears the output is a bit weak.

At this point in time, I am hesitant to pull this puppy from the case. And here is why....

-I don't want to break anything including tubes that haven't been pulled out, probably ever !!
    -This amp uses the Russian made 6N2P tubes, similar to the 12AX7 but the heaters are wired differently?
    -I am not sure about the power tubes (as I do not read Russian). But I see something that says 8912? Are these in fact 6L6 or 5881 tube equivalents?

There is a schematic for the Cub Combo so maybe this one is close - http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sch...ombo_mkx50.pdf

The other thing I am not sure of is the switch on the back - the one that says Series Parallel. Does this have something to do with the Effects Loop? The line makes it look so (see pic).

And the big question (just like they ask on the TV show "Storage Wars"), what is this worth? Again, I cannot find anything about this particular model.

I think I am better off selling it as is and letting the next owner decide if they want the Russian preamp tubes or re-wire for 12AX7's.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	RB Front.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	932025

Name:	Back Side.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	932026

Name:	Power Tube.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	943.4 KB
ID:	932027
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Interested in buying this. I have the Red bear 4x12 cabinet.

Comment

Thanks VK.... I went to those links and did not see the amp I have. I saw a 602 but that is a different amp.

Mozz... I appreciate your interest in the amp. I am not sure I want to ship this thing. You gonna be in the Sacramento area any time soon? And I am still trying to figure out if I have a $500 amp or a $1K amp.

Comment

I think there is a number above the 8912 that is the tube designator? (ending with C-E)
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

G1 - it looks like 66π3 where π is a Russian and Greek letter for pi.

Comment

If it’s anything like the MK60 or MK100 or MK120 it is all hand wired. It’s a thing of beauty on the inside. The 1st tube amp I ever bought was MK120. Here it is in the link. My cousin is involved with that website. I would say $500-$700 is very fair price for such a well built amp.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/projects/Redbear/
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

http://web.archive.org/web/20160401143800/http://tubes.ru/AllTypes.html
              A list of some Russian tube datasheets
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                G1 - it looks like 66π3 where π is a Russian and Greek letter for pi.
                Looking at the photo it looks like it says 6N5C-E or 6H5C-E. Probably 5881/6L6 tube basically. Hard to read it in the photo.
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

About 6П3С-Е (6P3S-E)
                  Russian 6P3S-E are equivalent to 6L6 = 6L6GT = 6L6GC = 5881
                  The four-digit number below the tube designation indicates the year and month of production (YYMM)

http://www.popular-hifi.com/projects/nad_stereo/tubeamp/6n3c.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20160714120814/http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6p3ce.html

http://rutubes.com/product/6p3s-e-6l6-5881-tube/
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                    If it’s anything like the MK60 or MK100 or MK120 it is all hand wired. It’s a thing of beauty on the inside. The 1st tube amp I ever bought was MK120. Here it is in the link. My cousin is involved with that website. I would say $500-$700 is very fair price for such a well built amp.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/projects/Redbear/
                    Your cousin JD here. I still have that amp too! I actually got it out and put it through it's paces with the kids. Needs some deoxit, but the sounds is just so full!

I don't know much about this model, but it looks like it was made for a different distribution channel.

Comment

Ok... decided not to be a fraidy cat and took the chassis out for a look.

Even with Russian text, you can read the value of the caps and resistors.

One odd thing... that loose jack that is just flying around on the left side? That came from the footswitch hole which was covered up with black tape. I am not sure why. Two wires go to the Channel Select button and a third wire goes to the Red button that is located between the Gain and Bass on the Clean channel. So I will put that jack back where it belongs.

The power tubes are 6P3C-E. I found a thread on Audio Asylum where it was suggested this tube is equivalent to a 6L6GC. So thank you VK for your links.

There is a RedBear Facebook group that I requested membership. With some 500+ members, maybe someone knows the origins (and subsequent fate) of this amp. And if I learn anything, I will post that here.

And here are some photos showing the inside of the chassis.

Name:	Full.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	932100

Name:	Left.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	932101

Name:	Center.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	1,013.9 KB
ID:	932102

Name:	Right.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	873.0 KB
ID:	932103

Comment

Thanks VK.... I went to those links and did not see the amp I have. I saw a 602 but that is a different amp.

Mozz... I appreciate your interest in the amp. I am not sure I want to ship this thing. You gonna be in the Sacramento area any time soon? And I am still trying to figure out if I have a $500 amp or a $1K amp.
                        Never been out west so chances of me picking it up are slim. Let me know if you want to ship. Some of them Russian tubes are not equivalent to a 6l6GC, they are more like a 6l6gb, 19w.

Comment

Update - the link below shows a similar datasheet to the one VK posted - thank you.

I am not sure who published this, but it appears to be a spec sheet for this tube - Russian 6P3S, 6P3S-E = 6n3C, 6n3C-E
                          Last edited by TomCarlos; 05-16-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

One odd thing... that loose jack that is just flying around on the left side? That came from the footswitch hole which was covered up with black tape. I am not sure why.
                            Those plastic nuts often come loose and fall off. Someone who didn't want to open the unit up might just tape up the hole. Out of sight out of mind.

Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                            X