• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    Originally posted by tedmich View Post
    well he's posted Pt 10 and promises Pt 11 tomorrow on the Superlead,

so Leo may well be correct about his slooooow delivery !
    Rolling it out sloooowwww..... like an old horror movie serial. Or that interminable search for pirate treasure off Nova Scotia. Or a Sea Chief thread. The torture never stops.

Meanwhile Uncle Doug recently ran a 68+ minute vid on his encounter with a 1950 split-front Fender Super. Rat whiz & all... quoth Uncle Doug: "It's a stench that almost defies description.....sort of like being downwind from a crematorium on 2 for 1 day" At least it's all of a piece, not weeks of psionic suspense, though I did space watching over the course of a couple days as I found spare minutes. His cats Ollie & Jack as usual were of considerable help.

Meanwhile ol' Leo hasn't (yet) started to tik tok. And Twitter, well twitter is for twits. For a brief moment I was almost attracted to have a gawk at Gawker, but it disappeared all of a sudden in a puff of digital smoke. So I'll continue to mostly ignore so-called "social media" and stick with you fine folks here on MEF, also our good neighbors at The Amp Garage. See you around!

Leave a comment:

• tedmich
    replied
    well he's posted Pt 10 and promises Pt 11 tomorrow on the Superlead,

so Leo may well be correct about his slooooow delivery !

Leave a comment:

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    Well I guess it makes sense for Leo to be in such a hurry, since you young-uns are all into speed dating, microwave, Instasnap immediate gratification! I for one love to see a problem develop about 1/2 the speed it takes me to recognize it! Thats why I watch dashcam videos!

Leo probably binged all of Netflix and is suffering from severe digital peripateticism!
    Woops, WRONG-UM BOYO!

I have never watched a Netflix anything. Not bouncing all over "cyberworld" either. So much for severe digital pataperistalsis. Not a game player. Never owned a TV nor microwave. Though I do have a smarty pants phone, it's only as smart as the one using it. Not at all hip to all the modern stuff. I don't take pictures of restaurant meals and post them on Farcebook and/or Instasnap/Chatgram. I'd rather go speed skating than speed dating.

What I have are customers who have been waiting extra-patiently for me to fix their stuff. So... to glue my eyeballs to video of someone else who works slow as molasses in January just won't do. I reserve the right to do that myself, and without a video audience, thank you veddy much. On those rare occasions I do indulge in watching one of those YT boffins, I'm thinking much the same as the A&R guy who has to wade through acres of music submitted by wannabee rock stars: "Don't bore us, get to the chorus!" Young-un indeed. There's a different sort of impatience at work in the tiny so-called "mind" of LG, "how much longer am I gonna last? Hope I get all this stuff done before I croak." You may find yourself thinking that someday, I'm sure in the far off future.

Back to your dashcam videos now. Have fun! And keep in mind, I do have respect for you tedmich. Please take my repartee' in the good humor in which it is offered.

Leave a comment:

• tedmich
    replied
    Well I guess it makes sense for Leo to be in such a hurry, since you young-uns are all into speed dating, microwave, Instasnap immediate gratification! I for one love to see a problem develop about 1/2 the speed it takes me to recognize it! Thats why I watch dashcam videos!

Leo probably binged all of Netflix and is suffering from severe digital peripateticism!

Leave a comment:

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    Originally posted by g1 View Post
    With the gear button you can set the speed to double time. It actually was more coherent than I expected.
    However, I did end up jumping ahead to the board flip anyway...
    Sometimes I do resort to the speed-up mode. Having to do that further reinforces the idea that I'm wasting time. Sometimes I'll have a look at Uncle Doug or D-lab & go 1.5x speed. And I skip Guitologist entirely. OTOH I'm entirely smitten by The Electric Lady at Fazio Electric, who isn't?

Although it has nothing to do with amps or anything like that, I'd like to pass along that Photonicinduction is back on the air after a 4 year absence. He does go on a bit, making the 1.5x or 2x options necessary, but if you like to see someone test 5000 amp fuses and other high current, high voltage hijinks, he's your man. A couple days ago he lit up a huge mercury rectifier that had been in storage last 50+ years. Worked perfectly! But there's not much point in watching him clean the dust off his contraption in real time, hit the speed button for that part definitely. Here's a link to the eye poppin' fuse poppin' episode. All he needs is Paul Harrell's byline "Don't try this at home, I'm what you call an expert. " Diabolical... 2.7 million views since 9 Jun, he should be raking in a big pile of YT loot as well, I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGhhdPgXG8

Leave a comment:

• Tom Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by alexradium View Post
    ...its all word to mouth,they come by themselves
    Agreed. I didn't even print new business cards after my last move in 1998. I'm not saying that I'm the greatest but advertising for more business would just put me in a constant state of overwhelm. When I tell people that, they sometimes suggest that I could hire help. Well...then it's not me doing the work utilizing the skills that I have learned since the 1960's. Not to mention the potential horrors of managing employees. I get a sadness when I need to tell people that I can't take on the job they need done and when I disclose how long they may need to chill on the waiting list. I do the best I can though. Meanwhile, my own equipment languishes on my to do list for decades.

Leave a comment:

• alexradium
    replied
    my guess is that if you make these kind of long documentations,how much time is dedicated to actual repairs and buildings,and overall you do it to acquire new clients.
    If you are really good and charge honest bills its all word to mouth,they come by themselves

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Not so much favorable, holey smokes does he take forever to get around to doing it...
    With the gear button you can set the speed to double time. It actually was more coherent than I expected.
    However, I did end up jumping ahead to the board flip anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Leo_Gnardo
    replied
    This guy makes very nice fix videos!
    I've seen a few including this Marshall fiasco. (Spoiler alert: eventually he substitutes a Hoffman turret board then everything's just tiddley-boo, what a surprise.)

In his favor Mr. Psionic has a pleasant deep calm "radio announcer" voice, and seems on a track to do everything right.

Not so much favorable, holey smokes does he take forever to get around to doing it... some editing would be in order! A lot of editing in fact. Nobody needs a 7-part serial bore-fest to fix a Marshall Mk II*. Then, there's the "camera" work. Apparently he's working while holding his smarty-pants phone which makes for moments beyond awkward. Like ... dropping the phone. Oops, I did it again! Waiting for the focus to auto-set. Losing the audio. Etc, etc etc.... If Mr Psionic is going to put himself in public on YT, really needs a good camera or two, proper support for cams, also proper microphone(s), and a whole lot of editing. Me, I've seen enough. I gotta lotta things to work on, so I can't spend any more time watching him do his work.

Recommended watching for those in need of basic repair instruction, or if you're super bored and have lots of time to burn.

- - -

*Now 8 parts, another was just added. When's he gonna shut the lid on this amp, say "enough!" and ship it back to its owner. Stand by for Part 9...

Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 06-28-2021, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tedmich
    started a topic Psionic Audio Vids

Psionic Audio Vids

This guy makes very nice fix videos! This video is sad but he fixes it by Pt 7!

my blood ran cold when he finally lifted the board...
Working...
X