Trans for Peavey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans for Peavey

Ive got an old Peavey Classic 100 , late 70s / early 80s VT series with a shorted power trans. Ive tried Peavey..3 weeks no responses. I even tried the manufacturer - Basler Electric.

trans number is 70516731...i cant find anything new that will work because it has 4 secondary taps . Didnt see anything at Hammond . The voltages are on the scem by the way
    Any ideas or is thing a door stop now ?

Peavey-Classic-VT-Series-3-78-Schematics.pdf

Wow, two posts about shorted Peavey PTs within minutes. That's weird. Seems like other models of that timeframe also used that PT (Artist VT, Deuce) so you might be able to find a donor amp. Seems like you might be able to use a generic tube PT to get the plate, bias, and filament voltages and then a small PT to get the +/-15V.

Comment

Hammond : Marshall replacement for jcm900 or tsl100- 290 JX or 290 CG...should work.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 04-19-2022, 11:37 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
        Wow, two posts about shorted Peavey PTs within minutes. That's weird. Seems like other models of that timeframe also used that PT (Artist VT, Deuce) so you might be able to find a donor amp. Seems like you might be able to use a generic tube PT to get the plate, bias, and filament voltages and then a small PT to get the +/-15V.
        i was thinking that...add an extra small transformer

Comment

I'll ask the same question here as in the other thread. Was the transformer tested with all secondary windings disconnected?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Of course

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post

Hammond : Marshall replacement for jcm900 or tsl100- 290 JX or 290 CG...should work.
              Yes. That could be made to work. You would just have to derive the bias supply from the HV winding since there is no 55V bias supply winding like the original Peavey. It wouldn't be at all difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

Yes. That could be made to work. You would just have to derive the bias supply from the HV winding since there is no 55V bias supply winding like the original Peavey. It wouldn't be at all difficult.
                Depending on which Hammond, and the rectifier arrangement, you might have to go with cap coupled type bias circuit, like the 900 and TSL use.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, agree. That's exactly what I meant by "derive the bias supply from the HV winding".

Comment

I bet all of you a steak dinner the owner will say..: " oh geez..i dont want to spend that kind of money on this amp "

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Yes, agree. That's exactly what I meant by "derive the bias supply from the HV winding".
                      Now I see. I always incorrectly assume that 'HV derived' is just a simple resistor off a CT type rectifier arrangement. But as you say, both cap and resistor type are HV derived.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"I bet all of you a steak dinner the owner will say..: " oh geez..i dont want to spend that kind of money on this amp "

Years ago I ended up with a Fender Champ 25 that had belonged to my nephew, seems when the fuse blew, he wrapped some foil around it, and it took out the PT. I could not find a replacement anywhere, and finally let MM build me one for more than the amp was worth. Troubleshooting revealed bad rectifier diodes which I assume was the original blown fuse.
                        Working, it was a nondescript tube amp, but my nephew was no longer with us, so it was more for sentimental reasons to repair it. I gave it to my sister in law who got him started playing guitar in the first place, and she plays through it once in a while just to remember!

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
                          I bet all of you a steak dinner the owner will say..: " oh geez..i dont want to spend that kind of money on this amp "
                          These amps aren't that valuable (maybe $300 but probably less), and it seems like no matter what happens a transformer replacement + labor is going to be close to the value of the amp.

Comment

I tend to agree with glebert and Bill, moving forward may not be worth it. I spend time and $$ to repair a Peavey Deuce and cannot get a single bite at $350 (as it has been on Craigslist for nearly two months). All new electrolytic caps, new tubes, repaired Phase Inverter section, has a footswitch, etc etc etc. So I guess the potential pool of "Southern Rockers" is diminishing. :-)
                            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

I forgot that i still have a couple Blackstar 200 amp heads/chassis that were used as stage props. I never verified they have working power and output xfmrs, but they are available for fee (you pay shpg). Here's the link I posted some time back.

Blackstar 200 chassis-cabinet avaiable for builds - Music Electronics Forum (music-electronics-forum.com)
                              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                              X