No announcement yet.

Looking for 1965 Supro Handle Replacemnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. As they say in these parts "Proper Job".
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Nice job!

I think that if you look for them, the mounting hardware parts are probably available as well. I personally like to use as much of the old parts as possible to keep things looking original.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        … I think that if you look for them, the mounting hardware parts are probably available as well…
        Yes. In fact I have some NOS and some used end cap hardware that appears to be identical to the originals. Many of the tube era Tektronix scopes used the same handle hardware too.

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        …I personally like to use as much of the old parts as possible to keep things looking original.
        Agree. If I were to shotgun replace too much then the result just doesn’t look right. In this case I would have used the original hardware even if new hardware came with the new handle.

The handle fix was only a small part of the revival effort for this Supro Royal Reverb.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

I was excited to tell you that "hardware elf" has the original handles, but it looks like they no longer stock them!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            To close out this thread, attached is a photo of the installed replacement handle from the Ohio Travel Bag site that 52 Bill recommended. The replacement was their P/N L-176SM-BLK. It was supplied, as shown in the second photo, with hardware loops but did not include end cap hardware. I used the cleaned up original end caps which was the preferred approach for the job anyway. This turned out to be a good and proper looking handle replacement for this amp as well as a significant upgrade. Valco apparently used the similar shaped plastic handle for only a very short time and the modern Supro branded amps use a different style handle with a completely different mounting hardware footprint. Additionally, there were no suitable handles available from the existing amp parts suppliers so this turned out to be a good solution.
            Thanks again 52 Bill.
            Cheers,
            Tom
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]41900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41899[/ATTACH]
            This is a fantastic restoration job, Tom! I have the exact same amp with the same issue: the plastic cracked and the handle is useless.

I notice in the previous photos, you were somehow able to open the silver mounting hardware (i.e. the brackets that hold the screws to the cabinet). How did you open them? Do they simply pop off?

Comment

Originally posted by Liāl Andy View Post
              ...I notice in the previous photos, you were somehow able to open the silver mounting hardware (i.e. the brackets that hold the screws to the cabinet). How did you open them? Do they simply pop off?
              Hi Li’l Andy,
              I gently pried the caps off of the base of the end cap that is screwed to the cabinet. Pry under the side that is closest to the handle. The cap should be rotated up and away from the handle. It does not pop straight up.
              I hope that makes sense,
              Tom

Comment

Ohio Travel Bag still carries the handle I used during my Supro Amp restoration. You can see the handle at https://ohiotravelbag.com/search?q=L...K&type=product
                The 5 3/4" version was the correct fit for the Supro Royal Reverb that I worked on. I mention this because there are other sizes of the handle available.
                Cheers,
                Tom

Comment

I just did the same thing and it worked!

I’m trying to remove the handle, mounting brackets, and screws entirely. While it’s nice to have the original pieces, the plastic of the handle and the metal brackets, they rattle around on top of the cabinet and make a huge noise.

Anytime I record or play a show, the rattle is too loud. And stuffing foam or a rag around it doesn’t fully dampen it.

One of the nuts that secures the screws to the wooden cabinet and mounting hardware is stuck — perhaps rusted. And it’s tricky, tight spot to work in; you can’t get a wrench in there to adjust the nut.

Which begs the question: when you removed the old handle and installed your replacement, did you have the aluminum box that contains all the wiring completely removed to get access to the nuts and bolts of the handle?

Thank you kindly for your help,
                  Andy

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                  Hi Li’l Andy,
                  I gently pried the caps off of the base of the end cap that is screwed to the cabinet. Pry under the side that is closest to the handle. The cap should be rotated up and away from the handle. It does not pop straight up.
                  I hope that makes sense,
                  Tom
                  Last edited by Li’l Andy; 03-13-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liāl Andy
                    ...I'm trying to remove the handle, mounting brackets, and screws entirely. While it's nice to have the original pieces, the plastic of the handle and the metal brackets, they rattle around on top of the cabinet and make a huge noise.
                    Anytime I record or play a show, the rattle is too loud...
                    The new leather handle that I installed using the original brackets did not rattle. The leather is soft and held the metal pieces firmly when the handle was pushed down in the non-lifting position. The owner subsequently used the amp for recording and both the owner and the recording engineer praised the amp.

Originally posted by Liāl Andy
                    ...when you removed the old handle and installed your replacement, did you have the aluminum box that contains all the wiring completely removed to get access to the nuts and bolts of the handle?...
                    Yes. I had the preamp chassis completely removed from the cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                    X