Aluminum corrosion cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum corrosion cleaner

A friend gave me his 1967 black face Fender Vibrolux to repair. The first thing I have noticed is the aluminum corrosion on the chassis and tube shields. It is like someone sprinkled baby powder all over it. There is a thin film of white powder. How to I clean this corrosion?

Maybe try various light cleaners on it first

like meths rubbed on with a clean rag.

Or vinegar or (real) lemon juice

You will need to clean the this stuff off afterwards
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Touch a magnet to that chassis. I don't think it is aluminum. A lot of old Fender amps have a breakdown on the metal surface. I THINK it is zinc oxide or something, because I think there is a galvanized finish on it, or was. MAybe? Someone? I brush it off, and for the most part leave it. But that's just me.

If I needed to clean an aluminum surface, I'd look two places - household cleaners and automotive cleaners. They make cleaners for aluminum cookware, and the auto industry has cleaners for aluminum wheels. ANd the hardware store probably has general purpose amuminum cleaner, I'd bet.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Be careful with aluminium wheel cleaners, some of them contain some really nasty chemicals, hydrofluoric acid and ammonium bifluoride.

http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/c...er.danger.html
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Oops.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
            .... The first thing I have noticed is the aluminum corrosion on the chassis and tube shields.
            Try Flitz Metal Polish; http://www.flitz.com/index.html perfect for tube shields, control panels, and chassis surfaces. John

Comment

Aluminum cleaner on my tube shields

I just cleaned the aluminum tube shields on my 60's Gretsch amp. I noticed the exact same powdery coating. I used two rags. Put the polish on one and rub the finish. Then quickly wiping off excess with another and buff. You get a lot of black crap that comes off on the rag. Try and rotate the rag to keep that stuff from redepositing on the clean metal before it dries. Mine now look brand new!

Comment

Stainless steel wire brush or emery cloth would be my first choices. You can pickup the wire brushes at Lowe's in the welding department, they look like tooth brushes.
                -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mutato View Post
                  I just cleaned the aluminum tube shields on my 60's Gretsch amp. I noticed the exact same powdery coating. I used two rags. Put the polish on one and rub the finish. Then quickly wiping off excess with another and buff. You get a lot of black crap that comes off on the rag. Try and rotate the rag to keep that stuff from redepositing on the clean metal before it dries. Mine now look brand new!
                  Hi Mutato; the chemicals in the cleaner turn the corrosion black. If they are covered in 'bumps' and you've cleaned them as far as you can go, then only resort to emery cloth; it's gonna scratch so if you want a highly polished finished, you're going to have to use #1200 and #1400 and so on before you get a shine. John

Comment

Mine came out great. Just had a fine powdery finish. No pitting. Not sure what the original poster did, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X