Marmac Super 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C Upp View Post
    I just lifted the leg on the larger resistor and it still measures 100.7K. The underside was damaged as well so I’ll need to replace that one for shure.
    If it's that close then I agree it must be 100K. The yellow band must have browned from heat.
    This unit looks so much like Hiwatt that I would look to Hiwatt schematics in case there is a match. There is a good chance it is a copy, or at least parts of it.

Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Help us
      If it's not a big effort, look and draw1) where the wires go from pwr amp (less) pcb.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/filedata/fetch?id=921927&d=1609963221

The end left and right power resistors are certainly Rg2 (470 or 1k), the two yellow capacitors are the transfer capacitors PI / g1 power tubes ... ...
      Last edited by vintagekiki; 01-08-2021, 04:16 PM. Reason: 1)
      It's All Over Now

Comment

I’m on it. Trying to trace and draw up the power amp. I just haven’t had very much time this week ’cause of work and zoom meetings. Weekend looks like I’ll have more time so I’ll try to get something drawn up tomorrow.

really learning how hard it is to wrap my head around these things without a schematic. Love learning though.

Comment

Ok. So I drew this up of the small board and PI. I find it really hard wrapping my head around it all. Thankful for all the help. Click image for larger version

Name:	marmac-small-board.gif
Views:	142
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	922162

Comment

Ok, what I see is an input amplifier ("common cathode" circuit, right side triode) followed by a cathodyne PI (left side triode): http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/cathodyne.html

I recommend to start any schematic by drawing a lower ground bus line and an upper B+ line. Then place the tubes including power tubes between and see what connects where.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marmac Super60 pwr.GIF
Views:	271
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	922203
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Marmac Super60 lay.GIF
Views:	271
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	922204

Minor errors probably exist. Compare the schematic with the power board lay.
              From the attached I did not infer positions for resistors 390, 1.5k and 6.8k
              Try to determine where they belong on the schematic.
              thanks
              vk
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Just to informatively, ask how the restoration is progressing, is help needed?

vk
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Sorry. I’ve been very busy working so I haven’t really had that much time to put into this yet. Got the new electrolytics in and built the limiter. Started it up on the limiter and it looked good. Stable voltages and no smoke. Put in some new tubes and it does amplify signal so I suppose the transformers are ok and that’s awesome.

I will need to order some new resistors to replace the ones that are damaged before I take it off the limiter and try it out at full power. Thought I could get them locally but that place went out of business last year.

Thanks for everything so far. I really appreciate the help. I know I’m an annoying newbie, and that I move slowly but I really hope to learn more from this. Will be another 2 weeks of a lot of work before I can get into this amp more. I really don’t wanna do anything after a stressful day because I’ll just break something. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Hi folks, it is I who has the Atomic Analog page on Facebook and I who has a rather rough schematic of said amplifier here for your eyes and minds to get confused upon :-P :-). The OP contacted me directly and although I will send this to him I also thought it useful to post it here also. Marmac amps earn a warm place in my heart, even though they are not so reliable. Mine also had two burnt up resistors which were in fact the upper and lower resistors of the phase splitter. Mine were still conducting and measured 63k (upper) and 59k (lower) and I probably replaced them with the closest values.

https://www.facebook.com/atomicanalo...05616319597105

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	140842380_1805616322930438_2330424157354282725_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=K6NwMNYNDYkAX_UfhEz&_nc_ht=scontent.fbeg2-1.fna&oh=19338f1a21dfde40627bf698376e5607&oe=602E04D9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.8 KB ID:	923158
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	140753196_1805616306263773_2116839458092535485_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=dr0q20DWh98AX8onEMT&_nc_ht=scontent.fbeg2-1.fna&oh=52de6c1d7359067fdd351403849b3ea2&oe=602EBF0D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.1 KB ID:	923159
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                      X