Slowly clipping off the top.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowly clipping off the top.

I am still working on the GK 200MK keyboard amplifier. I thought I had it repaired until this cropped up.

I put a sine wave into the input and dummy load with scope on the speaker output. The sine wave initially looks great but after the amp warms up for about 2 minutes the top of the sine wave slowly gets cut off. The flattening out of the top slowly starts creeping downward.

What are your thoughts about what could be causing this behavior?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1933.jpg Views:	0 Size:	799.7 KB ID:	963480

The output cannot source current into the positive half cycle into the load. When it is in this state, just disconnect the load and run without, does it still clip it off? Or does the sine wave restore to full cycle?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agree plus: POST-THE-SCHEMATIC
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I would guess the driver Q8 TIP29C or the 10 ohm resistor R224 to start with, assuming the power supply is OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	200MK pwr.gif
Views:	213
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	963615

Comment

bias drift?
          Is the scope set to AC or DC input?
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Check if the positive rail drops to determine whether it's a supply or amp issue. If it is the amp then maybe localize the fault with freeze spray.

Comment

Working...
            X