5G9 'clone' build question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G9 'clone' build question

I've just been 'challenged' by a friend to build a 'clone' of the old Tweed Tremolux amp, which to him, was one of the best amps he ever heard or played through. This guy has a collection consisting of some 80 amps, has a complete 'professional' Recording Studio, is currently in 4 different bands, and has been playing for probably 40+ years. He also owns my old Tweed Bandmaster..which I sold to him some 20 years ago....and have regretted doing ever since!

Anyway...... I've been looking at the 5G9 circuit, and I see that it differs from the venerable 5E3 Tweed Deluxe circuit in not only having the addition of Tremolo, but also in that it's a 'fixed bias' amp. So, this poses a bit of a 'build' problem in that I don't have the 'proper' power transformer with a bias tap for this purpose. I guess I could go the 'virtual' bias tap route straight off one of the HV leads..... or I could install a small 60V transformer if I could find one. I guess that's the point of this post: Does anyone know of such a transformer, and if so, do they have 'make and model' info along with 'where do I find one?' Also, and suggestions as to a suitable 'output transformer' for this thing?

Just as a quick 'aside'...... in discussing this project with my friend, he doesn't want the Tremolo on the amp...which will make it somewhat easier, and it also only needs to be 'one channel'. So, any suggestions as to which of the two channels to eliminate would be appreciated.....OR.... I'm considering leaving it one channel, but adding a little 'toggle switch' to bypass the tone control and render the amp as being one channel but with a 'tone in' or 'tone out' option? Again, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, if I do the switch program, that would leave the second stage of the AY tube 'open' and it could also be on a switch to be 'added' as another gain stage. Just thinkin' here............

Thanks, Tom D.
Working...
X