frequency low down on smaller output tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frequency low down on smaller output tubes

'been thinking for a while if low power tubes, el84 - 6v6, can mean out bass frequencies like EL34 or KT 88s. Maybe not 20 Hz but maybe 45-7- or so?

If so, what would be a good transformer avail. from Hammond or EH that would work well?

From my limited knowledge point of view, tubes should be able to pass current all the way down to DC. I think the reason smaller amps usually have a weaker bass is that they use smaller coupling capacitors in the PI to intentionally roll off low frequencies.

The real reason however, as you probably hinted at, is the OT. It has a lower 3dB point given by
    f = Z/(2*Pi*L)
    and as Randall Aiken explains: "This means that if you want better low frequency response from your transformer, you have to increase the primary inductance, which means a larger core and/or more turns on the primary."

So pick the biggest OT you can find, and you can go all the way down to 20Hz with El84's.
    "A goat almost always blinks when hit on the head with a ball peen hammer"

Comment

OK, that's what I hoped. Larger inductance? I'm sure you're right, but why does Hammond list it opposite? http://www.hammondmfg.com/guitarLine.htm
      6V6 and EL84 both are intriguing tubes, every amp i owned with those were fantastic. Now , I hear the samples and YouTube video on the Suhr Badger, WOW great going Mr. Suhr and friends! That's an amp.

Forgive me, just slam dunked tomorrow's term paper. NOT on electronics, thank God.
      Last edited by Guitarist; 11-14-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

6v6

Hmmmmm, 8x6v6's Hmmmmm !

JJ

Comment

Working...
        X