Recapping humming 9v power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recapping humming 9v power supply

I've got an old 'Powerbank' from the 1990s which supplies 5 lots of 9v for effects pedals. I haven't used it for about 20 years and when I plugged it in it's very noisy, so I assume the electrolytic filter cap (2200uf 25v) has dried up. I've ordered a replacement but could only order a minimum of 2, which prompted the question: is there anything to gain by wiring them both in parallel to double the available capacitance, or is one x 2200uf more than adequate for the job? Cheers!

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
    is there anything to gain by wiring them both in parallel to double the available capacitance, or is one x 2200uf more than adequate for the job?
    Sure why not, if there's enough room to fit the second one. Especially so if any of your effects draw significant current, reverb/DDL/harmonizer & like that.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

In addition to a fresh cap, it is best embed LM7809.
        It's All Over Now

Comment

Hi. Could you explain what you mean by 'embed' please? It already has a voltage regulator.

Comment

Hi
            You mentioned the replacement (2200uf 25v) and thought that it would do would better filtration if in addition to the existing one to install in parallel another one (2200uf 25v) .

If Powerbank have a voltage regulator, subsequent install parallel cap will not affect the improvement of filtration because the voltage regulator at the same time performs filtration.
            If you are already deciding to replace the cap, let the choice be low-esr caps and for 105 ° C
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                ...If you are already deciding to replace the cap, let the choice be low-esr caps and for 105 ° C
                Also look for a product line with a long operational life, eg 10,000hours.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X