Private messages vs Visitor messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private messages vs Visitor messages

This is just a heads up for those unaware. When you click on a user, you go to their profile. There is a text box open there for you to write a message. That is not a Private message, it is a Visitor message that can be seen by any member who views the profile.
    If you want to send a private message, when you get in the persons profile, you must click on the 'Private Message' button.

I really dislike this. It was better before when you clicked on a user name, you were given options, one of which was 'send Private Message'. It was very clear.
    When you were in a profile, there was an option to leave a 'visitor message' which was also clear.
    This new way creates a visitor message without ever telling you that is what you are doing. The 'private message' button hovering over the text box just adds to the confusion.
    tboy , is there any way to get around this issue?

edit: also, if you are in a thread, next to the user name is a 'bubble', which if you hover over, says 'start a conversation'. This will be a PM, but the 'subject' will automatically be entered as the thread title. You can backspace that title away, and enter a subject of your choosing.
    Last edited by g1; 11-25-2020, 12:26 AM.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

I will make a point to remember that g1....thanks for the tip...I tried to remove my message a couple of times...did it work after??and I have another issue...I always have to sign in every time I enter the site even though I have highlighted the Remember Me checkbox....any thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
      I always have to sign in every time I enter the site even though I have highlighted the Remember Me checkbox....any thoughts??
      Your browser may be set to dump all cookies every time it is closed. I think that would do it.

I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Your browser may be set to dump all cookies every time it is closed. I think that would do it.
        I'll check it out.....I do get notifications when somebody replies to a thread that I am subscribed to.....

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          That is what it was...... Thank you very much...
          Cheers

Comment

My profile says I have 8 visitor messages. Those are probably left over from the last software version. I can't figure out how to see those messages now. I had content in those messages like my favorite threads. There were a couple that should have been deleted, but the old software didn't allow me to do so.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              My profile says I have 8 visitor messages. Those are probably left over from the last software version. I can't figure out how to see those messages now. I had content in those messages like my favorite threads. There were a couple that should have been deleted, but the old software didn't allow me to do so.
              When you go to your profile, it should default to the 'activities' tab. Click on 'filter' and select 'all time' as well as 'visitor messages only'. You won't be able to delete any that were left by others, but you can edit your own if you left yourself any.

Comment

Thanks g1, another feature I hadn't discovered how to access.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The 'filter' button in the profile activity list seems to be the key to everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X