Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Pale Moon browser yet?

Hello all,

I just found what is supposed to be an 'optimized' web browser for Windows, called Pale Moon. It looks and acts sorta like Firefox.

Have any of you tried it, and what was your thoughts on it?
    www.angeltone.com

Originally posted by ken View Post
    Hello all,

I just found what is supposed to be an 'optimized' web browser for Windows, called Pale Moon. It looks and acts sorta like Firefox.

I did a search on it, and it says it is a optimized firefox for windows.
    Interesting.
    If anyone tries it let us know what you think.
    I have used Firefox for Years.
    I like the stripped down versions with no specialized toolbars, like yahoo.
    I am still on Firefox 12.0 with several add ons like Add block plus and do not track plus.
    I wonder if the add ons also work with pale moon?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
      Hello all,

I've been using it for several months now and have been very happy with it. Before that I had been using an old version of FF (3.5.10) since the versions after 10.0 were so bloated and buggy. That worked fairly well but some sites did not support it at all.

One thing I really like about Pale Moon is that issues new versions once every month or two (with FF it was like a new version every week or two.) Even better is that Pale Moon recognizes all of your FF bookmarks so it is not like you have to export them to a different browser. As for cookies some sites evidently link their cookies to the specific browser being used so I did have to re-enter some of that information. As I recall that did not happen with all site but I could be mistaken about that.

As I understand it Pale Moon uses the open source code of Firefox and eliminates a lot of the bullshit that really isn't needed by most users. Give it a shot- if you don't like it you can just run FF instead. Its not like installing PaleMoon will uninstall FF or screw it up. As far as I know browsers these days are not a jealous god, so to speak- you can install several browsers and select one of them as your default browser while the others wait patiently for their turn.

One drawback with Pale Moon and FF: the Internet Options applet in Control Panel applies only to Internet Explorer- it allows you to fine-tune your security settings. It seems to me that Pale Moon is slow in initially going to site, but once there it runs just fine. I have a hunch that it is determining that the site is safe by checking white lists and black lists as well as other indicators. I was running into a problem similar to that with FF which would give me a message that the chosen site was not responding or terminated the connection with a "Try Again" button at the bottom. (I had a hunch that FF was not waiting long enough for a proper response from the site since after trying again the page would usually load.)

Here is a link to their site. Note that it an "org" and not a "com." Orgs are cool!

http://www.palemoon.org/

Steve Ahola

EDIT The add-ons that I used for FF also work for Pale Moon- Video Downloader is the main one I use for saving YouTube videos and other FLV videos to disc.
      Last edited by Steve A.; 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
      X