X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dude
    replied
    Warning: Rabid Speculation:

I always thought many of them didn't want to work for "The Man". IMO, it seems to fit the profile. So, working for the corporate world probably wouldn't appeal to those types. HOWEVER, I know lots of self employed, and/or work at home, solo talents that make good money (for instance) designing web pages, writing code for other businesses, etc. I think the work is there if you choose. And like you, I can't identify with motivations for hacking or scamming. It makes no sense to me. Then again, some steal property while some work for it. I suppose it isn't much different, except I never understood the thieving mindset either.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dude View Post

I always thought the same about hackers. Programming jobs pay good money if you have skills.
    I guess it may come down to how many jobs are available in that expertise. *oogle, *icrosoft and *pple have people crunching programs to chase and follow internet activity by individuals that can then be used for marketing, etc. But if you're not working for them what would you do with similar skills??? I think it's that combined with individuals that have lost all ability for a humanitarian connection that choose to scam. But this is just me thinking on it. I really can't identify with many motivations for scamming.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    You'd think anyone that clever could figure out how to make a living in the legitimate world.?.
    I always thought the same about hackers. Programming jobs pay good money if you have skills.

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Checkout Black Market on Vice with Michael K. Williams. He goes in and shows the underbelly of scams and such. pretty interesting.
    nosaj

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    You'd think anyone that clever could figure out how to make a living in the legitimate world.?.

Leave a comment:

• Mick Bailey
    replied
    A new scam I hadn't come across before;

My Wife posted an item on Facebook marketplace (I don't use Facebook) as cash on collection, and within seconds there was a reply saying they would pay a lot more than the asking price if the item is reserved. My wife replied that there was no need to pay extra and we would keep the item until it could be collected. The reply was then something along the line of "I was intending to pick it up, but I'm too busy at work. I'll arrange a courier and they will pay you and collect the item". We checked, and the courier named does not handle cash and will not collect unpackaged items.

So she replied saying we wanted no involvement with couriers. The prospective buyer had no profile details and no posts on Facebook, then disappeared.

We wondered where the scam was, and it turns out that just before the item is 'collected' There's a request for a substantial bank transfer payment to cover insurance, but that would be added onto the total cash that the driver leaves. So, you keep the item, but the sting is the fake insurance payment. Apparently this is very common, but It's a new one on me.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    My brother likes to keep them going, too. They will ask if (insert name here) is available. He'll say yes, just a minute. He'll then put the phone down picking up periodically to tell the spammer he'll be there shortly. Then repeat every minute or so. It's surprising how long some of them will wait.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    You should simply answer scammers by reciting in a thin almost inaudible trembling voice your signature here

Taking some 15 minutes each, all the time asking yourself loud "what was I talking about?", "did I call or was it you?", "is it you Cousin Joe?"
    In the Bay Area, Ca. there's a radio segment on the classic rock station called "F'in with telemarketers". Though most of the segment is scam calls. The D.J. effects an old man's voice and spins all kinds of strange, but not implausible scenarios intended to keep the scammer on the line. Like the dog humping the Rumba vacuum cleaner or wound care dressing allowing intestines to spill out. Matter of fact descriptions of impossible circumstances like medical conditions including a seven day boner, etc... It's hilarious. And expertly executed and documented. No way anyone could be more ridiculous and keep these predators on the line any better. Just funny as hell.

This is what I strive for when I get such calls. I usually can't manage to keep their interest long and they just hang up. It's a work in progress
    Last edited by Chuck H; 02-24-2022, 03:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J M Fahey
    replied
    You should simply answer scammers by reciting in a thin almost inaudible trembling voice your signature here

Taking some 15 minutes each, all the time asking yourself loud "what was I talking about?", "did I call or was it you?", "is it you Cousin Joe?"

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Ah, Yes it's HHGTTG.

And I've been all over Oakland. My brother still works in the Bay area and has been doing some painting maintenance at Laurence Livermore. He said it's an incredible PITA because they have to hold a meeting for safety and hazard considerations for every drop of paint he applies. He says between the continuous staff meetings and the extra time it takes to qualify agreed procedures it has to the most expensive painting he's ever done for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Dave H
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    I might just change it up and say "42". Which is the Dr. Who answer to "life, the universe and everything".
    It's from 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'

Didn't you once live in Oakland Chuck? I've been to Oakland. I used to go to a pub there when I was working at Laurence Livermore.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    I get some guy with an Indian accent wanting my Medicare number or some other ID number. SO I tell him "four". He then tells me there are more digits than that, so I explain I am very old and have one of the first numbers issued, so "four." By then they usually give up.
    I might just change it up and say "42". Which is the Dr. Who answer to "life, the universe and everything". But so brilliant. 4. Awesome.

I actually live in a small town. Hard to imagine such a thing exists anymore, but aside from the tourists that Main St. and the boutiquey farm steads rely on a lot of the locals know each other. At my bank I tell them the last two digits of my account number and they go right to it. having known me and my time here on the island that is enough. The family here that we moved here to be closer to has an account number so old that it only has four digits at the tail of a bunch of zeros. I love this aspect of the lifestyle though I can surely grump about other things. You take the good with the bad though.

So from now on my answer to tele scams asking for numbers will be 42. It'll make things faster if they get it right away and it's the same schtick if they don't. Either way it's more fun than just getting pissed off at them

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    I get some guy with an Indian accent wanting my Medicare number or some other ID number. SO I tell him "four". He then tells me there are more digits than that, so I explain I am very old and have one of the first numbers issued, so "four." By then they usually give up.

Leave a comment:

• dmeek
    replied
    I've been watching some scambuster videos on youtube, in particular RinoaPoison. She talks-over, misunderstands, changes the subject, plays dumb and generally
    sends the scammer into a rage while a clock at the top of the screen shows how much time she has wasted. Take a look if you have a few hours to spend.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    CYBER SECURITY?
    It is being thrown around on the news channels, the possibility of cyber attacks world wide, as a result to unrest in the Ukraine?
    Even in the US, the UK and beyond.
    Just a reminder to keep your computer, tablet, and smart phone virus, and malware software, up to date!
    T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X