Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampage - Malware?

Hey all,
    Been getting malware almost daily, and this is the site I'm on most. Curious if anyone else is having any issues. Luckily Malwarebytes for Mac works really well.

Not me.

Sometimes teh banner ads trigger my protection, but unless I click on them, the site itself seems clean.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Is this the same computer that you had issues with back a few months ago? Do you run Facebook account on this computer?
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
        Hey all,
        Been getting malware almost daily, and this is the site I'm on most. Curious if anyone else is having any issues. Luckily Malwarebytes for Mac works really well.
        Back in the old days my friends with Macs were always bragging about never getting viruses like the PC users. I guess that has changed...

We had problems here with the banner ads but that was quite awhile ago. BTW at least on Windows computers some malware would hide in files that the anti-virus programs would not check so they would keep popping up when you would reboot. Sometimes it required a special program developed by the AV firms to get rid of the malware for good.

I don't know if this appljes to the Mac but I usually got the best results running the AV programs before the Windows OS loaded. I would download the free AV boot scans from the reputable firms and run them all to get rid of the persistent viruses.

Steve Ahola
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Also, double check your internet settings and make sure that the malware did not set you up on a proxy server. Some malware will do this. What happens then is that whenever you connect to the web, you are connecting through someone else's server and they throw the malware at you again, even though you may have removed it once. For IE, Internet settings, connections, and make sure proxy server is not checked and delete any server entries there. I would think there would be similar settings somewhere on the Mac, but I'm not a Mac user, so I'm not sure where they'd be. This assumes you are not intentionally using a proxy server on your network.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes it's the same computer as before. I checked Safari proxies and none of the checkboxes are checked. However, there is a box with this in it "*.local, 169.254/16". And it says "bypass these proxy settings for these hosts and domains".

The "use passive FTP mode" box is checked.

Not sure what any of those mean or if they're relevant. The problems SEEMS to be gone since running Malwarebytes, and it did find two trojans.

Comment

"*.local, 169.254/16 bypass these proxy settings for these hosts and domains" Is more or less a protocol to tell your computer bypass proxy settings to allow services like Apple's Bonjour to work correctly without interference. Since you are not running a proxy it is just there and is harmless as far as I can tell.

Trojans are horrible since they hide out on a computer and can activate on a certain date or by many other trigger methods. If there is a way to run no-script on your browser I would read up on that and figure that out right away. Perhaps scripts are what keeps triggering the trojan to activate. Not saying that is what is happening but just a thought. Also, I asked if you use face book on your computer since so much crappy malware is passed on through that site. For example, I don't even use facebook but MEF always seems to run a Facebook.net script. I have No-Script set to stop it from running when I access the net.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
              X