Help locating Squier Affinity 5 way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help locating Squier Affinity 5 way switch

Can someone point me in the direction of a replacement 5 way switch for a Squire Affinity Strat ??

I used a Strat kit from StewMac only to find the actual reason 2 different switches are utilized. It won't fit cavity due to narrow body.

I'm going to leave the pots and cap in place & just change out the 5 way so it should be simple.

I just don't want to get the wrong switch (again)

Thank You,

5 way switch

Did you try Fender Support?

Comment

I have been to both the Squire & Fender sites and saw no provisions to order parts, The best I can tell is the part # is 0055412000 Switch, 5 Way Shallow Box Style.

Did a lot of searching and came up with little.

Comment

They have some of the box style here:

Guitar Parts Resource* ::* Lever Switches

Here's another compact style:

5-Way Lever Switch

And some more here:

Switches by GPDUSA.COM

I'm not sure if they are the right size, but you can compare the original to these.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank You,

I ordered 2 different 5 ways from GPD, one looks like the original switch that was in the 3rd party pickguard that is on guitar currently. I also ordered the sealed 5 way switch. If they are the same dimensions I will give the sealed one to my friend for his HSS Squire, he may need one in the future.

Comment

Tell me something, because I'm the owner of Squier Affinity Strat by Fender for 7 years, and there's something wrong with this pickup switch. One guy who seems to be kinda into this stuff, told me that this is very common thing, taht after few years those switches stop working properly.

I mean on the bridge and neck positions (so outtermost) the guitar switches off. Why is it so? Do I have to buy new switch or can I do somenthing with the old one?

Comment

If you slightly move the switch (staying in the current selection) while it is producing no sound in either of those 2 positions does it try to work or make any sound when moving ??

The reason I replaced this switch was due to intermittent no sound in the (front) neck only position.

Comment

It works exactly like You said! Slightly moves helps, but I can let I going that way. It's annoying. Why it happens like this? What can I do? I heard it's quite common...

Comment

You may be able to clean with contact cleaner... which in this day and age can be hard to locate and some cc will melt plastics. The switches sell for $5 retail so you can't expect much & they get used a lot.

These switches are only about 1" deep.

Comment

Thanks a lot (specialy for the plastic-melting note - it's inportant). So I have two options. I suppose using CC won't help much? What You think? It's better to change whole switch. But switches are different depending on model of the guitar. Mine is Squier Strat by Fender Affinity Series, so it looks like this:

Does anybody knows the symbol of this one?
                    Why does it happens like this? Is there a way to buy even more expensive one, but stay working properly longer?

Comment

GFS

GFS has alot of parts for overseas made tele and strat copies that will work with the squier brand their website is Home

Comment

What is the depth of that switch shown ??

The guitar i'm working with has a 3rd party pickguard and the switch does not look like that, it uses the "box type" switch. It also looks like a box switch on the service info from Fender.

That looks similar to a standard strat switch.

Comment

Originally posted by slimeMD View Post
                          Mine is Squier Strat by Fender Affinity Series, so it looks like this:

Does anybody knows the symbol of this one?
                          Why does it happens like this? Is there a way to buy even more expensive one, but stay working properly longer?
                          That looks like an older Schaller Megaswitch, like they sell at Stew-Mac. Stew-Mac now shows them with a square circuit board, but the older ones look just like that.

The ones I have from the 90's say Schaller on them, so that may be an OEM model, or an Asian copy.

But any switch should work in this case. That's not an unusual size. Sometimes you have to install them with the circuit board on one side or the other.
                          Attached Files
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Make sure to measure your switch and use the mounting depth information. The box switches that I recieved were both 1 1/8" to the flat folded terminals. Pay close attention to your lead dress and solder connections. Even into the 1 3/8" cavity it was still a tight fit.

The specs for StewMacs switches are 1 3/8"

Comment

So I can order no matter what kind of switch until it is short enought to fit? AAnd 5 positons of course. Am I right?

Comment

Working...
                              X