Wax potted pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax potted pickup question

I know that you may groan and say this is stupid but I would really like to know.
    I have an ibanez semi-hollowbody guitar that I want to put a set of alnico 2 pickups in Like the SD or the gibson 57. I want to keep the black nickel covers from the ibanez if they will fit (meaning if the pole piece holes line up). So my question is this If I remove the cover and put it on a different pickup that is wax potted with this mess up the potting? I dont think it will but a friend of mine swears I will have to re-pot the pickups. So for the sake of argument I figured I would ask you guys.
    Thanks

Originally posted by tribaltattoos View Post
    I know that you may groan and say this is stupid but I would really like to know.
    I have an ibanez semi-hollowbody guitar that I want to put a set of alnico 2 pickups in Like the SD or the gibson 57. I want to keep the black nickel covers from the ibanez if they will fit (meaning if the pole piece holes line up). So my question is this If I remove the cover and put it on a different pickup that is wax potted with this mess up the potting? I dont think it will but a friend of mine swears I will have to re-pot the pickups. So for the sake of argument I figured I would ask you guys.
    Thanks
    Hi Tribal

It should´nt be a problem, if the pickup was properly waxed in the first instance. The wax should be in the windings in the bobbin so changing covers won´t make a difference in sound unless the the cover materials are different. A good idea would be to melt some wax into the cover when you put the pickup into it to stop the cover vibrating, go over the cover holding the pickup upside down with a hair dryer to remelt the wax, cover polepice holes with some tape before doing this.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

You won't reverse the wax potting but you might negate it to an extent. Potting basically keeps parts of the pickup from vibrating independently and thus being microphonic. If you put the cover on in such a way that it isn't secure, it will want to be a bit microphonic in itself. I'd make sure to solder it in place, then you should be fine. In my experience covers are never a problem unless they aren't fixed, waxing the actual cover in is unnecessary; although the prior poster seemed to be recommending it in lieu of soldering. I've never tried that.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was planning on soldering the case to the baseplate since most pickups Ive seen with covers are done this way. Just one question on waxing the case if you put tape over the pole pieces then heat the pickup how do you get the tape back off?
        Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
          You won't reverse the wax potting but you might negate it to an extent. Potting basically keeps parts of the pickup from vibrating independently and thus being microphonic. If you put the cover on in such a way that it isn't secure, it will want to be a bit microphonic in itself. I'd make sure to solder it in place, then you should be fine. In my experience covers are never a problem unless they aren't fixed, waxing the actual cover in is unnecessary; although the prior poster seemed to be recommending it in lieu of soldering. I've never tried that.
          Hi
          I was´nt saying no solder, the wax in the cover will remove some of the air space to prevent unwanted resonances´. I normally vacuum wax the pickup and when cool give it a dip in hot wax to fill any voids and finish by soldering cover to base. Sorry about any misunderstanding. All this is important if the players use really high gain amp settings, I have had customers guitars feedback reduced by filling any air spaces under bobbins with wood or hard plastic and making sure the bobbin hold down screws are tight. Again mainly relavent in high gain three channel amps cranked right up.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Andrew - Thanks for the clarification, I just wanted to emphasize the point. I've seen a lot of people throw covers onto a pickup because they found one on the parts wall, and I've even seen some 70s japanese instruments with covers just attached with some sort of adhesive... and not even a good one. Boogers maybe? I'm not sure. Anyway, I just thought it was worthy of repetition. Personally I think securing all components in a pickup is more important than the waxing, but I'm not a high gain player so I'll admit some ignorance on that front.

Hint on the soldering: Big, big iron! Those baseplates make impressive heat sinks, and a big iron will let you be quick on and quick off. It is tricky the first couple times you try it... but, getting them on is easier than getting them off so you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
              Andrew - Thanks for the clarification, I just wanted to emphasize the point. I've seen a lot of people throw covers onto a pickup because they found one on the parts wall, and I've even seen some 70s japanese instruments with covers just attached with some sort of adhesive... and not even a good one. Boogers maybe? I'm not sure. Anyway, I just thought it was worthy of repetition. Personally I think securing all components in a pickup is more important than the waxing, but I'm not a high gain player so I'll admit some ignorance on that front.

Hint on the soldering: Big, big iron! Those baseplates make impressive heat sinks, and a big iron will let you be quick on and quick off. It is tricky the first couple times you try it... but, getting them on is easier than getting them off so you should be fine.

Hi FunkyKikuchiyo

You are spot on with the big soldering iron. Years ago when I was working at Peter cooks in London we had a new Jackson Neck through body pearl white guitar come in for some work and the pickup cover was held on with chewing gum fresh from the factory. I must say that was a new one for me!

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
              X