Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Don't Understand Guitar Wiring: Where's the Circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I say something wrong? I certainly mean no offense. I do feel that without understanding basic DC (and AC) circuit concepts Rob may actually find the answers here more confusing rather than clarifying. We've all had to start somewhere.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

No you didn't. I just meant I think he's doing fine.
      If you come from a electronic background like some of us do, We take so much for granted with circuits.
      I think it's neat how he's really grasped so much in just a few days.
      And, If his goal is only to build and wire guitars, that's probably all he wants to concentrate on.
      I know I'm a hands on guy. I can only read and study so much.
      If I can get a hold of something and see what works, and what doesn't, it makes more sense, then I can read and learn.
      Somewhere down the line, I recommend the hands on approach, and make a few Mods, then it will all start making more sense.
      Rock On!
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Getting it step-by-step like this is going to work out better than if I tried to swallow it all at once. I will keep this in mind when I get to the chapter in the on-line book on electronics that deals with impedance. I'm sure that will make it more interesting and perhaps more understandable. I've read the first full chapter on DC current (probably had a lot to do with my response to Joe! I was in a DC frame of mind), but then I was away for the weekend. It will come.

Thanks Rob R

Comment

Hi, nice to see so much attn paid to 'basics'. And also great to hear a neg-(health issue),turned into a +(yeah pun intended). There might be some help on Hoffman amps site if you look for 'guitar signal flow through an amp', or something like that in his library info. maybe the answer is in the capacitors blocking of A.C. and passing D.C. and possibly looking @ the whole (guitar, amp,) as a large group of circuits, some passing,some blocking, some w/a small A.C. signal riding on a D.C. signal, but complete nonetheless. hope this muddies it up!

Comment

check out hoffman amps site library of info on 'guitar signal flow in an amp' or something like that. maybe your answer lies somewhere in the passing & blocking properties of caps & resistors. and congrats on turning a neg.-(health issue) into a poss.+(yeah, pun intended). I was a wood worker, musician, blah, blah, but a bad burn, & 5mo. of recovery & I'm making amps, & effects.

Comment

Wow! I don't know you guys from Adam, but I already feel like I'm home. I have started building electric guitars a couple of years ago as a hobbyist and have struggled through the wiring in self defense. I have been searching for basic theory of guitar 'circuitry' to learn how it works and why it works...not just a follow the dot ---do this, hook this there approach. RobRed has hit this squarely in the jaw. I have been struggling with precisely the same issues he has. Thank you ever so much for this thread. I Googled and found this and saved this thread to my favorites so I wouldn't loose it before I found out where it actually was. I just joined and I too want to learn the hows and whys. My daddy did house wiring and I have a basic understanding of that, but like RR this electronics thing really rattled me. I will go back and study this carefully, but just wanted to thank RR for speaking for us that need to have the onion peeled down to the core.

Comment

Working...
              X