Buzzing Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing Strat

I have a strat with SSS setup. If I play with any single pickup it sounds fine. Any combo and I get a buzz. I have replaced the switch and the volume pot. The pickups all test fine and I have checked all my grounds and are good. Any ideas out there?

Actually, let me correct that. Position 1, 3, and 5 buzz. 2 and 4 are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by nevjim_3 View Post
      Actually, let me correct that. Position 1, 3, and 5 buzz. 2 and 4 are clean.
      Um, that's normal.
      Positions 1, 3, and 5 are the individual neck, middle, and bridge pickups. Individual single coil pickups hum & buzz.
      Positions 2 and 4 are neck+middle and middle+bridge. The middle pickup is wound so it hum-cancels with the neck or bridge pickup.

-rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Welcome to the world of 60 Cycle Hum.
        If you want to experiment.
        Try standing further away from the amp.
        Try it at the side.
        Now move closer to the tube, or SS output section of the amp.
        It should get much worse.
        Some people will tell you all about shielding, and all the gyrations to overcome it.
        You can reduce it some, but, as long as you have single coils you will have Hum.
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thanks guys. I just never noticed before on my small amp. Now that I am playing with some wattage it's very noticable.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just never noticed before on my small amp. Now that I am playing with some wattage it's very noticable.
            I am a pickup builder.
            If it is something that really bothering your playing.
            You may want to try different pickups.
            I have rail type blade pickups in my strat.
            They do have a little different tone.
            They are real quiet and I like them.
            Seymour duncan Dimarzio and others make rail pickups.
            good Luck,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Thank You. i will look into that. I am kind of fond of the tone I get with these and my JMD-1, I hate to give that up but who knows.

Comment

Thank You. i will look into that. I am kind of fond of the tone I get with these and my JMD-1, I hate to give that up but who knows.
                Sounds like a good time for GAS.
                Have one with Single Coils and one with Humbucking Pickups. lol
                T
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X