Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Super Strat design

Hi all new here!

I've finished my super strat design. Just need some fresh eyes to check it over for errors before I crack out the soldering iron .

I've actually got mini humbuckers on the strat (singlecoil sized humbuckers) each with four wires + bare. But I'm going to wire those as as standard Seymour humbuckers aka:

South Start = Live (or Hot for our american friends)
    South Finish connected to North Finish,
    North Start = Earth (Ground)

I used standard single coil images for my diagram for simplicity.

I have a spare push/pull that I can use as my tone pot if someone can think of a use for it. (I tried coil splitting these pickups before, but the sound isn't great when split, so I don't want to do that).

4PDT is a super Series/Parallel switch

With switch in parallel position we have standard strat config:
    1: B,
    2: B+M,
    3: M,
    4: M+N,
    5: N

With switch in Series position we have an entirely new setup: (brackets refers to pickups in series aka. (BM) means bridge and mid in series)
    1: (BM),
    2: (BM)+N,
    3: (BM)+N, (again) - (I would have liked to do (BN)+M but i ran out of poles on the super switch to connect my B- to my N+)
    4: (MN)+B,
    5: (MN),

Pulling the PUSH/PULL reverses the middle pickups phase.
    In parallel position this will have an effect only in dual pickup positions.
    In series position this - as I understand - will have an effect at all positions, causing the 2 pickups to be wired out-of-phase AND in series - looking forward to that!

Rotary switch switches capacitors of various types/values (P.I.O, Orange Drops etc.)

Anyway let me know what you all think! (and any improvements!)

EDIT: MY DIAGRAM IS MISSING THE OUTPUT FROM THE VOLUME TO THE JACK - I FORGOT TO ADD IT lol. But it's there in spirit..

WakaClick image for larger version

Name:	super strat.png
Views:	1
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	867151
    Last edited by Waka; 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM. Reason: Mistake in diagram!

Whatever turns you on... I couldn't ever remember what all the switches do under gig pressure.

Also the value of the tone capacitor is way more important than the type/brand.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Whatever turns you on... I couldn't ever remember what all the switches do under gig pressure.

Also the value of the tone capacitor is way more important than the type/brand.
      I agree with Steve.
      Pretty impressive, but not too practical under gigging situations.
      Same as tappable humbuckers, most players just end up playing them in humbucker mode.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I have two humbuckers, a three position pickup switch, a volume knob, and a tone knob with a pull switch to engage the coil taps on both pickups.

I like to use both pickups together in single coil mode for rhythm playing, especially if I'm singing. For lead parts I usually switch over to the neck pickup and put it in humbucker mode.

That's about as much complexity as I can handle.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          I have two humbuckers, a three position pickup switch, a volume knob, and a tone knob with a pull switch to engage the coil taps on both pickups.

I like to use both pickups together in single coil mode for rhythm playing, especially if I'm singing. For lead parts I usually switch over to the neck pickup and put it in humbucker mode.

That's about as much complexity as I can handle.
          I'm getting where I like AC Hum less N less.
          I make Pickups, so For my own stuff I have gotten into making real clean sounding Low wound humbuckers.
          I can't stand a muddy Neck pickup, so I make them underwound.
          I can't stand an Anemic bridge Pickup, so I still Overwind them.
          I have a Strat guitar with HSH, with 2 Handmade Minis, and a SC in the middle.
          I have the 2 Minis where they are splittable, and do RWRP in Pos. 2 & 4.
          It is complicated enough.
          The Neck Mini is underwound and IMO sounds just like your fav. Strat Neck SC(minus the Hum).
          Lots of Options these Days. Above all else, Have Fun!
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Hey all thanks for the replies, sorry been a while I've bee busy. Yeah I did feel it getting complex. I think most of the switches etc wouldn't be used under gig pressure. Probably only the series/parallel switch or Phase reverse (rarely).
            Mainly it would just allow for a diversity of sound from the one guitar.
            Nice to hear about other's wiring fiddling. My first design for this strat had a similar setup to Steve's guitar but with 3 pickups. 5 way switch, 3 mini humbuckers, volume with pull for coil tap on mid and neck, and tone with pull for coil tap on bridge.
            But the pickups sounded weak so I decided to series switch instead.

I'm gonna try my design out as per my diagram and i'll let you know the results.
            If anyone can look over it and just check for any obvious mistakes(pickups poles connecting to wrong ones, my (far too technical) 5 way switch wired wrong let me know thanks

Comment

Working...
            X