wireless guitar cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless guitar cable?

Hey guys, a friend of mine dropped off a guitar cable to me to replace the 1/8" plug that goes from the guitar to the wireless pack.I need to wire up a new 1/8 stereo jack(3.5mm R/A 3 pole plug). The problem is that one end of the cable is a 1/4" mono which plugs into the guitar and the other end is 1/8 stereo plug. How do I wire up the stereo plug when all I have is two wires,one ground and one tip? Do i connect the tip to tip and jump the ring and sleeve with the ground?

Chuck.
    Last edited by chuckb; 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM.

Every wireless manufacturer has their own wiring scheme, there is no standard. You could be correct about jumpering ring to sleeve, however they could also be using only 2 of the 3 connections. You are replacing the plug, not building a cable from scratch, so you only need to do it the same way as it was before.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'm not really sure how it was before only that it had a stereo plug which my friend didn't keep. It had twisted off and he discarded it and so he bought a new right angle stereo plug. I'm thinking that's the only way it could be wired,jumping the ring and sleeve together with the ground and tip to tip. My friend said he seem to think that the ground wire was separated into two individual pieces which were going to ring and sleeve. so that would be the same as grounding sleeve and ring together I guess?

Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
        I'm thinking that's the only way it could be wired, jumping the ring and sleeve together with the ground and tip to tip.
        So here's how an XLR is wired:

Now here's how you wire a TRS balanced phone plug:

So the tip is (+) in red, and the ring is the (-) in blue. And of course the sleeve is ground.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hey david, the cable has only two wires, one for the tip and a ground wire, that's it. I know the wiring for xlr etc but they have three wires, that's why I was stumped. I'm thinking the original 3.5 mm plug was mono and not stereo. I wired it up like i suspected(jumping the ring and sleeve with the ground) and it works fine. thanks for your reply much appreciated.

chuck.

Comment

Right, so the (-) ring goes to ground. But thats why they use a stereo jack, incase it's a balanced inout like from a microphone.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Oh ok, i wasn't aware of that, so the stereo plug was correct. Thanks again David.

Comment

Working...
              X