fix a loose trem arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix a loose trem arm

I have an idea for adding some drag on a loose ,screw in, trem arm. I'm thinking I'll drill and tap a small hole into the back of the trem block so that it intersects the arm hole, and insert a nylon tip set screw. If I drill it near the top I should be able to access it for adjustment by pressing the arm down.
    Any thoughts? Any reason not to try it?
    Vote like your future depends on it.

A lot less fiddly to wrap the threaded part with some Teflon "plumber's tape", very thin, also cheap & readily available. If you whammy a lot, might have to replace it every now and then. One of my favorite low tech tricks.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

You didn't specify the guitar model or type.
      s it possible that you have one that is missing a coil spring in the bottom of the trem arm hole?

Comment

I've heard about the teflon tape, and the spring trick. I would like something more permanent, adjustable and no spring to lose. Most of the trem equipped guitars that I've had have had an adjustable arm tensioner. Now I'm putting together a partscaster, and I don't like the way the arm fits. The machine that I operate at work has nylon tip screws that add drag to adjustments. They work great and very rarely have to be fiddled with. Plus the guitar is in pieces now, so it will be really simple to drill and tap a hole.

Comment

If you have the machine shop necessities to do it, what the heck, you could be on to something good!
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I just have to see if I can get those screws locally and what size they come in.

Comment

I believe Kahler has used these type of set screws (nylon tipped) to adjust tension on screws,
              McMaster-Carr
              check soft tip (conformable)
              you just tap a screw perpendicular to the arm and I like to use non-permanent thread lock to increase the holding power. Typically you want a set screw about the same size (diameter) as the arm but the tip is smaller than the thread. I had a machine at work that used set screws to hold SS wire rope and changing to brass tipped solved the problem of the set screws cutting through the rope when we tightened them down.

Comment

Yeah I figured McMaster would have them. I am hoping to find them locally. I'm only doing 1 so I don't want a whole box. I may ask the maint dept at work if they have any.

Comment

I wonder if its possible to swap out the thread system for an Edge type with the nylon arm washers. I always wondered as this would be a great upgrade and we wouldn't have to buy those expensive Ibanez Edge Floyds!

Comment

The side of hole tap and thread has been stock on many trems. Including some Fender clones (I think Peavey did it to theirs). It's no better than the Teflon tape. In fact it's not as good, and I'll tell you why... If the trem is loose, how long do you suppose it'll take to smash a small nylon insert if you're whackin' on it?!? Teflon tape is tougher and actually protects the threads. As far as adjustable and permanent.?. The adjustment for a set screw would be located such that you need to either block the trem up (full dive) to adjust it or remove the bridge. With Teflon tape you just wrap the arm threads and screw it in. It's also easier to replace a roll of Teflon tape than a tiny allen wrench whose size you can't remember. Especially since you'd need to either take your guitar into the hardware store or remove the bridge from it. Just saying, if it's a matter of convenience, ease of access and a lasting solution the Teflon tape beats the nylon insert hands down. I have two guitars that have the nylon insert. I NEVER bother to adjust them because they both failed so quickly and need new nylon pieces I've never bothered to replace.

The spring and ball is old school Fender and works well enough. It's hard to get a spring that will give useful tension though. And once you do it seems to add stress to the threaded parts making them strip and wear more quickly. It's a solution where none existed before, but not a particularly good one IMHO.

I'll endorse the Teflon tape solution.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'll endorse the teflon tape too, I've had to do it. I was a machinist at the time and eventually made a new trem block from aircraft aluminum, along with a trem arm from steel rod...but most guitar pickers don't have that option...the teflon tape worked fine, it's quick and easily replaced, and the smallest roll you can get will last till your kids have grey hair...
                      Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

I ended up not doing it anyway. There wasn't enough meat on the trem block where I wanted the hole. I think you are right though. As loose as it was it probably would have beat the plastic screw to death. What I did was buy a new (Mex) big zinc block. I thought it would have the same 6mm threads as the new trem arm that I had already bought. It turned out that it had 10/32 threads which worked out okay because I was able to cut new tight threads on the arm with an adjustable die. Fits pretty good, but I might use the tape anyway just to protect the threads.

Comment

I do it the old way. I use the head off a Qtip. You fold it over the end of the threads before you screw the arm in. I have heard this is what SVR did. Works fine. An old guy told me once there is very little you cannot do on a guitar with a Qtip, a match book, and a zippo. Lol.
                          Last edited by olddawg; 09-25-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I use to keep toothpicks and wood glue in my guitar case. I only used such items for repairs at home. My guitars were always in working order for practice and shows but it's good to be prepared. I did use them to fix band mates axes though. Sometimes between sets at gigs.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                            X