Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$8.50 Chinese wraparound bridge fits PRS SE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $8.50 Chinese wraparound bridge fits PRS SE!

I have not strung it up yet but it does fit the stock PRS studs. The ~$100 TonePros bridge requires the locking studs since it is about 0.040" thinner than the stock bridge- I was able to make up two shims but have not been able to find any more of the special brass washers. One note about the TonePros bridge and locking studs: for low action I have had to pull the stock bushings out and then drill the hole a little bit deeper with a 3/8" drill. Otherwise it can bottom out with the bridge too high. Here is a link to the listing:

QZO Chrome Badass Style Wrap Around Bridge Tailpiece for LP Electric Guitar | eBay

Steve Ahola

P.S. The Chinese bridge fits better using the included studs which give a little more slack which is necessary. Those studs have the same metric threads as the PRS SE but the slotted top of the stud has a slightly smaller diameter and is flat rather than domed like the PRS. If that bothers someone they can order the TonePros locking studs which cost about $35 on eBay.

P.P.S. People looking at the PRS SE non-trem models often think that the fixed-intonation wraparound bridge must be a problem. However I have never noticed intonation problems with those guitars. For one thing, guitars are tuned to a well-tempered scale so that the "right" note might be not be exactly on the fret. I may bend the strings just enough to make a chord sound right to my ears.
    Last edited by Steve A.; 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

I've used a few of those on new guitars. I wouldn't let the price scare you. It's difficult to tell any difference between them, and components that cost many times more. They are taller than most wrap-around types by 2-3 mm which is a problem on most guitars if you use them for a retrofit. The saddles are tall enough that they can be reworked to match a tighter radius which you'll probably need to do on a PRS. (aren't they a 10"r?) Anyway, there's enough meat there to work with if you want.

Comment

John: I noticed that some of the wraparound bridges make it very difficult to change strings when they are sitting right next to a humbucker. The fixed-intonation "Z" bridge on the 2014 Melody Maker doesn't have that problem- the engineers made it very easy to replace strings.

One question... to replace the MM bridge with one of the adjustable intonation bridges from China or from Tone Pros I would want to use the TP locking studs. The Gibson studs have 5/16 24 tpi threads. Do you know if that is the same as the PRS USA studs? (I don't want to bother Tone Pros again right now- they have been very helpful and I don't want to wear out my welcome! )

Steve
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

its all from China (or Korea or Taiwan) so compatibility isn't a surprise. Did you think PRS has American artisans hand carving everything out of sweet American materials? LOL at those prices they should...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          John: I noticed that some of the wraparound bridges make it very difficult to change strings when they are sitting right next to a humbucker. The fixed-intonation "Z" bridge on the 2014 Melody Maker doesn't have that problem- the engineers made it very easy to replace strings.
          I haven't seen the new Melody Maker bridges. Are you having intonation issues? I never considered wrap-around bridges as being difficult compared to very many others, but an improvement would be cool.

One question... to replace the MM bridge with one of the adjustable intonation bridges from China or from Tone Pros I would want to use the TP locking studs. The Gibson studs have 5/16 24 tpi threads. Do you know if that is the same as the PRS USA studs? (I don't want to bother Tone Pros again right now- they have been very helpful and I don't want to wear out my welcome! )

Steve
          IDK if the studs are compatible or not. Occasionally I'll do a repair or setup on a PRS, but never really paid that much attention. They're nice guitar's, but not anything I get excited about. I checked out the TP locking studs. The diameter of the locking screw seemed like a very weak link. When needed, using the thin washers as shims works well for me.

Comment

Working...
          X