Cheap Practical Strap Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Practical Strap Locks

The straps fall off my guitar while I'm playing now and then, but so far I have always caught it, and have never broken one. I know that if I don't use strap locks I will drop a guitar and break it when the audience is finally large enough to be truly humiliating, and then I will end up in one of those youtube guitar fail videos. Still, I have never been satisfied with strap locks. They are expensive, mutually incompatible, gadgety, plastic-ey, feel weird like my guitar is mounted on thrust bearings, or some combination of these undesirable traits that I find off-putting.

While I was browsing at the hardware store today, my mind turned once again toward alternatives. I have tried snap rings, hairpin cotter pins, and various other things, but what finally worked for me was: 3/8" fender washers. If you unscrew the strap pin, they slide over the narrow end, and then you can screw the pin back on with the strap underneath. 3/8” fit the Gibson strap pins, 7/16” for the Fenders. They cost 12 and 17 cents, respectively. When they didn't quite fit over the strap pin on one of my guitars, I almost had to spend an extra 12 cents for a bigger one, but then I drilled a bigger hole instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheaplock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	870303

Pros:
    Strap will not come off without a screwdriver or breaking something.
    Costs 12 cents.

Cons:
    Strap will not come off without a screwdriver or breaking something.
    Looks like it cost 12 cents.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but if it saves just one guitar it's worth boring the rest of you. Cheers!
    Last edited by elipsey; 01-28-2016, 01:44 AM.

In a pinch, you can do the same thing with guitar picks and a pocket knife.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Maybe try painting them the same color as the ends of your strap, then they will look like they cost 13 cents.

Comment

Is it even legal to use a "fender" washer on a Gibson?

Comment

The rubber washers from Grolsh bottles work pretty good.

evh did it like this
          Last edited by John_H; 01-28-2016, 01:49 AM. Reason: fixed picture link

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
            The rubber washers from Grolsh bottles work pretty good......
            Plus it gives you an excuse to have a fine lager.

Comment

I've used those flat hex head 1/4"-20 furniture bolts (you know, the ones that hold IKEA together) for the strap pins on the guitars I've built. You really have to torque your strap slot over them, and I even had to widen the strap slot on a couple to get em on. Not locked, but that 1/4" post and flat head don't let go easily, and they come in black.

Comment

I just recently came across the Fender "strap blocks", and they worked very well. They are a stiff rubber, (probably similar to the Grolsch washers). Each pack has a black pair and a red pair for around $3 per pack.
                Fender Strap Blocks | Fender
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Bread bag clip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	840850

Comment

I use these - straplok

Comment

I took a chance on some Deal Extreme Schaller-type locks and they're pretty good. Just lucky, I guess. A tip when buying from DX - make sure you don't buy anything that you'd be upset about if you took it out of the package and threw it straight in the bin.

Guitar Zinc Alloy Strap Locks - Silver (2 PCS) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Comment

Spend the $12 and buy shallers.

Comment

Or Dunlops... I learned that the Dunlops allow another player to use a non-lock equipped strap to use your instrument. Schallers, if not used with the Schaller locks, the strap easily slides off the button.

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                            another player .... use your instrument
                            what does that even mean!?

Comment

Most Levy's traps have very sturdy leather ends. Put them on once and they're not coming off accidentally, especially with the oversize strap buttons that are common.

Comment

Working...
                              X