How to warm up a bridge humbucker in split single coil mode ...cap/resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to warm up a bridge humbucker in split single coil mode ...cap/resistor

i have one of my humbuckers going in the bridge of a custom esquire & in split single coil mode on a push pull but he wants a warm tone .Now i will wiring that the slug coil will be the coil the works in single coil mode & i will overwinding that coil ..My question is about adding a cap & or resistor to tame some of the treble . & if so what value ..... thanks
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    ..My question is about adding a cap & or resistor to tame some of the treble . & if so what value ..... thanks
    I'd try the same values you'd use for the normal tone control turned down a little. eg. 22n or 47n in series with a 25k to 100k resistor. Small capacitor values will just move the frequency of the resonant peak.

Comment

I think that sounds about right.

The "Eldred Mod" (~4.7nF switched straight across the pickup) produces what some describe as a "half-cocked wah" or "vocal vowel tone". I like it, but it doesn't seem to be what your customer is after....

-rb
      Last edited by rjb; 06-29-2017, 09:07 PM.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Thanks guys did some test 22k,51k,100k resistors with .022uf & .047uf & settled on the 22k+ the .047k

Comment

I assume that "Esquire" means "one pickup".
          Just wondering:

Is the 22K + .047uF in all the time, or just in split mode?
          In addition to the push-pull, is there a 3-way selector?
          What are the planned selections?

-rb
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I was told on a push pull . I tested it in my test guitar which has a 3 way blade & tested the split coil wires red & white (same as Seymour's) with the cap & resistor wired to neck position .& i do believed it worked as it should .

Comment

My question wasn't very clear, and I am still confused about the answer.

I know that the original Esquire had a bridge pickup, and a 3-way selector which changed wiring configurations to get 3 different tones out of that one pickup. I also know that some Esquires have been modded to add a neck pickup.

So the first part of my question should have been "How many pickups in this custom esquire?"

Second part is about your bridge humbucker with the push-pull to split coils. "Will you have the 22k/.047uF across the pickup always, or only when in single coil mode?"

Third part is about the 3-way selector. If the guitar has two pickups, I assume the switch will be wired like a Tele. But if the guitar has one pickup, then what are the three different configuration/tones?

If anything is a trade secret, forget I asked.

-rb
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

When someone says Esquire ,,it's a one pickup tele .

Comment

Working...
                X