Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big_teee
    replied
    I was also thinking of the Brian May guitar wiring.
    Each of the 3 pickups have an on off, and each pickup has its own reverse polarity.
    You can get any combo, you could do that with a 4 pickup, by using eight switches.
    T
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct14_PG_CLM_ModGarage_image1_WEB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	853978

Leave a comment:

• agabinet
    replied
    Thanks, I want to use the accordion switches that were original -- but that is just pickup selection, I will be adding switches -- at least one . . . but is my concept correct, that I have to wire the phase switch between the pickup and the selector switch? It won't do my much good to put the phase switch at the volume or tone pot (push pull) since I have this bizarre set of selector switches.

TIA

Leave a comment:

• Bloomfield
    replied
    This seems like a good time to speak in praise of the Mustang switching arrangement where each pickup has a 3-position slide switch that allows each pickup to be switched off or on in either phase. Dead simple and really effective. I think what you were describing could be done, but it would be complicated and less versatile. I just saw that you are planning on using the original controls so that may limit the options somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• agabinet
    started a topic Four pickup wiring - with phase switch

Four pickup wiring - with phase switch

I have a set of pickups, switches and pots from a mid sixties Italian -- probably a Galanti or Eko. There are four pickups, and they are all on a board with a circuit built in, two pickups above the circuit, two below it, so, PUs 1&@ above, 3&4 below. The switching is awesome, six positions -- all four pickups, no pickups,one, 1 by itself, 4 by itself, 1+4, or 2+3. https://link.shutterfly.com/ePOtUkVYlX

As the picks show, it looks like someone divided the leads from the pickups, wired the top two and bottom two so they could then pass through the circuit board, and then the individual pickup signals go out to the switch mechanism.

Because I don't know what the original wiring looked like, and because I have heard that lots of people thought the circuit was not very good, and because I have read that the Galanti Grand Prix 4V was meant to be played with pups out of phase . . . I am considering rewiring all this, so that I can have 1+4 in or out of phase, and 2+3 in or out of phase, and put a cap/resistor pair for treble bleed at the tone pot. I want just single tone and volume, so I can use the pickguard that I had copied from the original.

My question is -- what does this wiring look like -- should I run from the pickups to a phase switch to the pickup switch? With a simple phase switch, I could run PU 1 and PU 3 to the phase switch, so that the polarity of the signal is reversed when it hits the pickup selector switch . . . and from there is goes to tone, vol and out.

FYI -- I am in Providence, Rhode Island, USA

TIA

Ari Gabinet

If this works, I could, in theory, run both phase controlled pickups to the same, single phase switch, right? And that way I could even have all four pickups selected with the pairs in phase or out of phase. Two phase switches would give me more options . . .

I am not an expert in this area, so I am looking for help and advice. I a building a reproduction of a Galanti Grand Prix around these controls . . .

Any help much appreciated.
Working...
X