No announcement yet.

Restoring 70s STRAT low pickup volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried clipping jumper wires straight from the pick-up to the jack ??
    Last edited by shortcircuit; 04-30-2020, 06:34 PM.
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Not necessarily. Switch contacts can become corroded and have some resistance rather than being a dead short. This will also lower the output level. It could be a few different things. It's certainly worth the couple of minutes spent checking pickup resistance right at the pickup wires to be sure.
      I think the give away here is that no readings are not the same as open coils. The pot resistance should still be in circuit even if the coils are wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        I think the give away here is that no readings are not the same as open coils. The pot resistance should still be in circuit even if the coils are wide open.
        But will be out of meter range with 20k manual setting.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

So i've opened up the pickups today and i think it's definite:

both neck and middle are shot and due to be rewound.

Neck pickup: no DCR reading and shows "dent" in the wiring

Middle pickup: no DCR reading, no apparent damage

I'm getting these babies rewound for sure!

Comment

That's a bummer, but glad you got it figured out.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

yeah because the original tone will be lost forever :\ but oh well, my father was extremely negligent with this guitar as you can probably tell by the looks of it. It was then exposed to dust for 13 years, probably moved around without the case too.

Still, i been wanting a vintage strat since forever, and this one is from the the family so, i'll face it as just a bump in the road

Comment

There are guys here that could rewind them for you.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just noticed you are in Portugal. Shipping would probably be prohibitive.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Not only shipping, having to deal with customs is a hassle in normal circumstances, i can only imagine having to deal with them customs during lockdown and reduced customer service.

There are a few good guitar techs around, i'll give them a call next week will keep posting the news here

Comment

We have guys here on the forum, that are in EU.
                    You can also put your rewind requests on the pickup forum.
                    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...splay.php?f=11
                    You should be able to get the original tone back!
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      We have guys here on the forum, that are in EU.
                      You can also put your rewind requests on the pickup forum.
                      https://music-electronics-forum.com/...splay.php?f=11
                      You should be able to get the original tone back!
                      T
                      this last line put a smile on my face hopefully i can get the original tone back

i'll give it a try too, really appreciate all the help! Big THANKS!

Comment

Since you have decided to rewind anyway. Have you inspected where the coil wires connects to the eyelets and tried reflowing the connections at the eyelets with some flux and fresh solder? It’s not unusual for the connection to open up with the coils still good. I’ve seen it many times.

Comment

Originally posted by brunobliss View Post
                          yeah because the original tone will be lost forever :\ but oh well, my father was extremely negligent with this guitar as you can probably tell by the looks of it. It was then exposed to dust for 13 years, probably moved around without the case too.
                          It has the patina of age, and the finish worn out in spots by actual use. Nothing wrong with that! Fender sells "relic" guitars with factory applied wear spots & blemishes, charges plenty extra for it too.

Here's an extreme case, Jeff Beck Esquire, originally sold for $11,500 in 2008, limited edition of 150, each one accurately "relic'd" by Fender Custom Shop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	beck esquire relic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	857632

Now offered thru Reverb at $15,000. Just a snip...
                          Attached Files
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                            Since you have decided to rewind anyway. Have you inspected where the coil wires connects to the eyelets and tried reflowing the connections at the eyelets with some flux and fresh solder? It’s not unusual for the connection to open up with the coils still good. I’ve seen it many times.
                            I tested both ends of the wire and get no reading at all, i'm guessing the coil is broken somewhere, so soldering wouldn't make much of a difference?

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                            It has the patina of age, and the finish worn out in spots by actual use. Nothing wrong with that! Fender sells "relic" guitars with factory applied wear spots & blemishes, charges plenty extra for it too.

Here's an extreme case, Jeff Beck Esquire, originally sold for $11,500 in 2008, limited edition of 150, each one accurately "relic'd" by Fender Custom Shop:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58327[/ATTACH]

Now offered thru Reverb at $15,000. Just a snip...
                            Daaaaayyyyyummm that's like the walking dead of guitars i actually love the patina and worn out spots, in fact i been wanting a true vintage nitro finish guitar for a long time. It actually bothers me to know my current strat will never age with that indestructible poly finish

Comment

she is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack <3<3<3<3<3

both neck and middle pickups fixed! Absolutely looooooooooooooove that strat glassy sound

Comment

Originally posted by brunobliss View Post
                                she is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack <3<3<3<3<3

both neck and middle pickups fixed! Absolutely looooooooooooooove that strat glassy sound

That's a STRIKING guitar. The darkest fingerboard I've ever seen on a stock strat. And the "distress" is au natural, and looks it to the coolest degree. That with the sharp black on the edge of the "burst" and the black pickup covers with white knobs. I just think it's great looking. Glad you like the tone.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X