Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi ES-175 Fizz/crackle

Hi there,

This forum appears to be a zone for people who really know what they're on about, so I thought I'd try my luck.

Not being able to quite stomach the $5000 NZD (that's New Zealand dollars btw) it would cost me for a Gibons ES-175, I decided on the Epi reissue 175. It sounds pretty jolly nice by my ears, and produces a much warmer, fuller sound than my Japanese tele. This is pretty darned ace as I've been playing jazz for the last couple of years.

I was under the impression that humbuckers didn't hum and the hum is certainly about a quarter of that from single coils on the tele. The frustrating thing is the 175 has a slight crackly, fizzle sound when plugged into my fender deluxe 85 solid state amp. I guess it's something to do with grounding as the crackle goes away a wee bit when I'm touching the strings. It is present in all pickup positions and the amp does not produce the same crackle when the tele is plugged in.

I'm wondering if this could be a symptom for a whole bunch of possible wiring problems and guess this is partially what I get for purchasing a Korean made guitar (I've had to add a fibre washer under the jack plug and am considering another 3 way switch as the stock one is rattles a little).

At any rate, any suggestions on possible fixes? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter and can follow any wiring diagram that doesn't give me too big-a headache. I realise eliminating buzz can be a bit of a mission on guitars so if explaining it involves too much typing, does anyone know of any guides on the internet or books relevant to arch top guitars I could check out?
    Last edited by Hamish; 01-20-2008, 05:44 AM.
Working...
X