X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmholtz
    replied
    .. has that worked for you?
    Haven't tried yet. Was just curious if acetone or extra fine steelwool would work. Up to now the dead zone hasn't been a problem for me.
    My main problem is to find strat pots that actually measure 250k or above. I feel that -20% pots dull the tone. So I sometimes transplant wafers. I've heard of people who increase resistance by using fine emery paper or steel wool on the track.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-31-2020, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pdf64
    replied
    Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Have you tried to remove some of the conductive silver paint in the dead zone with acetone on a Q-Tip?
    No, has that worked for you?
    I just tried some judicious scraping at the outside edge of the metalised 'dead zone', but the metalisation seems to go all the way through to the substrate, rather than being on top of the resistive element.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2E0CD9C2-C4F5-432F-A0D3-E05DC1AD0AF4.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	912368
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Helmholtz
    replied
    Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
    The 15% dead zone at the start of CTS audio tapers is somewhat off putting.
    Have you tried to remove some of the conductive silver paint in the dead zone with acetone on a Q-Tip?

Leave a comment:

• mozz
    replied
    Yes, from one end to the wiper. To the original question, swap out to another pot. Either that or you are using a very high gain pedal or amp input. OP said 450k =375k/75k @50 % is more of a taper than any i have listed. Maybe the tone cap is shorted or leaky, there are only so many things to go wrong with 2 pots and a cap, change them out.

Leave a comment:

• Dave H
    replied
    mozz, you must be measuring from wiper to cw end which would make most of those 10% audio taper.

Leave a comment:

• mozz
    replied
    What's the make/model of the guitar? Most everything is linear vol today and i think Gibson is using 300k.
    Just measured 10 pots, mostly new. All full sized, different makes cts bournes alpha, korean, unnamed, stackpole.
    You seem to have more taper than any of these. Full reading, 50% reading.
    493k-451k
    496k-440k
    560k-483k
    490k-419k
    518k-440k
    522k-451k
    475k-425k
    458k-381k
    511k-465k
    457k-362k

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200829_203827.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	912288

Leave a comment:

• daz
    replied
    The pots/guitar are 2 months old.

Leave a comment:

• Helmholtz
    replied
    In my experience worn out pots typically show increased overall resistance and/or uncurable scratchiness. Another indication could be reduced (!) output at 50% travel.

Leave a comment:

• mozz
    replied
    Alpha, Bournes, Cts, should all have datasheets on their websites. Like i said, the pot could be worn out, the fingers could be riding on hardly any material therefore you would read high. The overall resistance would not change as there would be places the fingers do not touch.

Leave a comment:

• daz
    replied
    Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
    A linear pot will have far more output at 50% rotation than your current pot, so at a setting 2-3 you would have more overdrive than now; that's surely in opposition to your goal?
    If your current pot is 75K at 50%, then its taper seems to be 15% audio; several manufacturers use that as their standard audio taper, eg Alpha USA.
    My guess is that a well implemented 10% taper pot would suit you better; Bourns have a good rep,10% seems to be their standard audio taper, and they have a range of guitar specific pots.
    Ok, well i didn't take note of the side of the pot that was 75k but i assumed when i measured it that the 75k was between the wiper and input which would be worse for what i am looking for. I assumed that because it made sense as to why there was little effect at 50% rotation. I suppose i should measure it again to be sure but looking at pots just now it seems very few spec the taper %.

Leave a comment:

• pdf64
    replied
    Originally posted by daz View Post
    Doh ! I see. In any case, i wonder if a linear pot would get me what i want. After all, at 50% rotation it would be a lot closer to what i'm after. 250k vs what is now about 75k. I'd have to rotate the current pot to where it gets as clean as i want it to be on 5 then measure it and see how close linear would get me.
    A linear pot will have far more output at 50% rotation than your current pot, so at a setting 2-3 you would have more overdrive than now; that's surely in opposition to your goal?
    If your current pot is 75K at 50%, then its taper seems to be 15% audio; several manufacturers use that as their standard audio taper, eg Alpha USA.
    My guess is that a well implemented 10% taper pot would suit you better; Bourns have a good rep,10% seems to be their standard audio taper, and they have a range of guitar specific pots.

Leave a comment:

• daz
    replied
    Doh ! I see. In any case, i wonder if a linear pot would get me what i want. After all, at 50% rotation it would be a lot closer to what i'm after. 250k vs what is now about 75k. I'd have to rotate the current pot to where it gets as clean as i want it to be on 5 then measure it and see how close linear would get me.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    I think he may have meant the measurement to the wiper from one end cannot be higher than end to end. A "450k" pot can measure 475k, but you can't have a pot measure 450k end to end and then measure 475k wiper to end.

Leave a comment:

• daz
    replied
    Thats a typo. I meant 375k. I'll change it. By the way, they are usualy 20% tolerance soe they CAN be higher. I have a 250k labeled pot that measured 300k recently.

Leave a comment:

• mozz
    replied
    It can't be higher, 475k if the pot is only 450k? They could just be worn out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X