Leo Fenders pickup winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Fenders pickup winder

I may be having a blond momment right now, but I seem to remember someone had a picture of one of Leo Fenders original hand pickup winders. Does anyone have a link to that photo anywhere? I'm just curious and want to see it.

Here you go
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

2:42 An original winder from 56 shows up.

YouTube- Billy Gibbons&Ron Sharp tour Fender Factory
      Last edited by tboy; 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Huh?

It that a rubber band driving it?
        Shannon Hooge
        NorthStar Guitar
        northstarguitar.com

Comment

That was my first thought too.. and it looks like a potentiometer sitting behind the counter too..

That motor looks to be something like 1/20th of a horse, probably 1000-1300 rpm

Comment

that's gets me thinkin

Originally posted by belwar View Post
            That was my first thought too.. and it looks like a potentiometer sitting behind the counter too..

That motor looks to be something like 1/20th of a horse, probably 1000-1300 rpm
            I have a little sewing machine motor that I could do that with. Put a dimmer on it, and an old bike counter I also have. Ta da! Winder
            Shannon Hooge
            NorthStar Guitar
            northstarguitar.com

Comment

Read Forrest White's book for info on the rubber band....
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

The '50 winder isn't all from the 50's the counter is much later. The other winder is Leo Fender's you can see other photos of it on G&L's website gallery. There is a specific reason Leo used rubber bands
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

a guess

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                  There is a specific reason Leo used rubber bands
                  I'm betting it's to help alleviate wire breakage. Funny, but the Schatten winder isn't that different from this....
                  Shannon Hooge
                  NorthStar Guitar
                  northstarguitar.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonH View Post
                    Funny, but the Schatten winder isn't that different from this....
                    Why? If it ain't broken, don't fix it...
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

Well, from what I've heard the Schatten winder is an unmitigated POS. I doubt it would have outlasted Leo. He probably would have dropped it down an elevator shaft if he could afford one.

Comment

Built a winder based on that many many moons ago. Out of all my winders is still the easiest and best to use. Simplicity in itself. No traverse, no wire guides just a motor. shaft assy, triac speed adjuster and very accurate mechanical counter. What else is needed. Pic back on the cutting alnico thread page 11.

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
                          2:42 An original winder from 56 shows up.

YouTube- Billy Gibbons&Ron Sharp tour Fender Factory
                          Ha, hah, hah! That machine is a Coweco automatic coil winder! I already knew the Fender Custom shop had this machine and another like it but had only speculated about when they got it. I had speculated they got it around 1959 as I have the exact same machine and mine is from 1959. But this nails the date of 1956. This machine has a sloped cam and it can do Strat and Telecaster pickups without a cam change. So I ask you, if Fender was only hand winding pickups why on earth would they go to the expense of buying an automatic coil winder? I say it is because as far back as 1956 they were starting to machine wind pickups. I know others have found machine wound fender pickups from 62'. One detail about this machine depending upon how it is adjusted it can be very sloppy.

What is so hilarious about this is that Fender apparently uses this machine for hand winding and uses the modern machines for machine winding. I have seen other video of the Coweco being used for hand winding. The cool sloppy wind that this thing can do is being completely bypassed by using it for hand winding. It never ceases to amaze me that people are of the mind set that machine winding should be or must have been perfect and that if it is not a perfect winding pattern it must have been done by hand.
                          Last edited by JGundry; 01-09-2010, 11:43 PM.
                          They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                          www.throbak.com
                          Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                            Well, from what I've heard the Schatten winder is an unmitigated POS. I doubt it would have outlasted Leo. He probably would have dropped it down an elevator shaft if he could afford one.
                            The winder I have is mechanically OK, but the motor is a bit underpowered and the speed control is defective and stopped working. The top speed is too slow.

Until I get my new winder made I've been powering mine with a variable speed Dewalt hand drill! That works much better.

It's really not much more than an axle with some bearings and a counter. So in that aspect it's not much different than the old Fender winder.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                              Ha, hah, hah! That machine is a Coweco automatic coil winder! I already knew the Fender Custom shop had this machine and another like it but had only speculated about when they got it. I had speculated they got it around 1959 as I have the exact same machine and mine is from 1959. But this nails the date of 1956.
                              I didn't look at the video. Is that like this one?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X