Would This Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would This Work?

Hi Guys, It;s been ages since my last post and I feel like I'm in a confessional.

Any way, ever since my cousin started moaning about the hum coming from his Fender Strat. I've thought about winding say a fender single coil pick up by using two wire spools, soldering the ends together, winding the bobbin and using the two remaining ends for hooking up . It should have the same resistance but half the coil will be reverse wound.

Would it cancel the AC hum?

Would it sound any good?

Has any one tried it?

best to all

Walt
    I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

If I understand you correctly the pickup will indeed cancel hum... and all the sound too.

Comment

Why not buy your cousin one of the many available hum canceling pickups that fit in a single coil space. Then he can moan about something else.

Comment

Make sure that the hum is in fact from the pickup. One way to tell is to short the pickup out, and see if the hum goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
          Make sure that the hum is in fact from the pickup. One way to tell is to short the pickup out, and see if the hum goes away.
          If you replace the pickup with a short circuit, that could eliminate some other sources of hum related to the guitar electronics.

The cousin probably plays with as high gain as possible, which means that a single coil pickup will always have hum.

Comment

Stacks, and blades are IMO the best options for No Hum Strat P/Us.
            I prefer the Blade rail pickups in the bridge of a strat for rock and roll gain.
            Stick with SCs in the neck and middle. A combo hard to beat.
            Blades can be wound in many versions, low or hot wound, with 42-44 awg wire.
            Also blades are very quiet!
            GL,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Walcen, welcome back! Your idea sounds like that bifilar, capacitively coupled pickup from Italy that we mentally dissected way back when. I've always wanted to try that idea out.
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/t11439/
              The Gaglio site is gone but he still has the sound samples up on a MySpace page:
              https://myspace.com/pickupsgaglio/music/songs
              Remember MySpace?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                Walcen, welcome back! Your idea sounds like that bifilar, capacitively coupled pickup from Italy that we mentally dissected way back when. I've always wanted to try that idea out.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t11439/
                The Gaglio site is gone but he still has the sound samples up on a MySpace page:
                https://myspace.com/pickupsgaglio/music/songs
                Remember MySpace?

Thanks for your answers guys.

Thanks David, It looks like the links to the the threads you posted may suggest that the idea is not quite dead in the water. I have a couple of spools of 42 and 43 so I'll sacrifice some wire and wind one up for pioneering purposes. I'll let you know what happens.

regards to all,

Walt
                I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

I have tried this years ago , I found it to low output to use no matter what wiring configuration
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I made bifilar single coil strat pickup years ago. I actually used real bifilar wire, ie, two strands bonded together.

I had ideas to have a single with multiple tones, by using the coils in series, and also in parallel... or even one coil on its own

what I found was in parallel, the pickup sounded thin and extremely bright

in series it was dark and muddy,

I suspect the coupling capacitance in this case was extreme and made for a useless pickup. I would say this effect would be lessened somewhat if the coil was wound using two strands of different size.

I never pursued it further as I found the initial results unpleasant musically

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                      I made bifilar single coil strat pickup years ago. I actually used real bifilar wire, ie, two strands bonded together.

I had ideas to have a single with multiple tones, by using the coils in series, and also in parallel... or even one coil on its own

what I found was in parallel, the pickup sounded thin and extremely bright

in series it was dark and muddy,

I suspect the coupling capacitance in this case was extreme and made for a useless pickup. I would say this effect would be lessened somewhat if the coil was wound using two strands of different size.

I never pursued it further as I found the initial results unpleasant musically
                      On this forum are some of the smartest people I know, if you say it's not worth the effort I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks all and regards

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post
                        On this forum are some of the smartest people I know, if you say it's not worth the effort I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks all and regards

Walt
                        hey walt

it may well be worth exploring.... I did spend a LOT of money on bifilar wire.... its bloody expensive.....but you never know other formulations might work I plan to get back to it one day... at least then I can justify the money I spent on that expensive wire. in my days as an R&D engineer I made many a coil using bifilar windings by feeding two wires from two separate bobbins and for certain applications it worked extremely well...its something I will explore again in the future....however I think for pickups, bifilar wire may not be best solution. as always , I guess you may wish to just feed two separate wires ... you should try it....that's the only way in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X