Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 2012 color trademark court desicion. Pay attention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rjb
    replied
    Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
    bastard amber
    Yea! Translucent bobbins could be classy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-sugary-bastard-amber-322260974.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	843350
    Seriously.
    Last edited by rjb; 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• salvarsan
    replied
    Pantone has a bunch of similar colors that will serve in place of cream.
    Ivory and vanilla top the list of marketable descriptors for pickup bobbins.
    Banana or bastard amber, not so much.
    Bisque is effete unless accompanied by boiled lobster shell.
    Sarcoline is way out there.

Double cream bobbins may be an unhealthy obsession.

At some point, you must accept that there's always a litigious @#$%&! willing to trademark prior art at the expense of the entire industry and that the inevitable response is to innovate past them.

Super Tuscan was an informally-named generic wine blend intended to get past a restrictive Italian standards body in the '70s. Thirty years later, we got Super Texans, similar blends that served to distinguish a market category instead of a branded offering.

. . . until some short-sighted sociopath trademarked the Super Texan name and went on to dilute his own brand with inferior offerings. It didn't occur (or matter) to him that Texas wines would soon escape local distribution and compete internationally.

Moral: Make cool stuff and let the trademark monkeys destroy their own brand.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    A message that appeared here briefly, then got edited away, troubles me.
    Please be advised:

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
    Another thing that can happen is that anyone who has received a threat from Dimarzio in the past can file for a declaratory judgement that ask the court to find the trademark aesthetically functional (citing previous cases, of course) -- as I understand it, Dimarzio would then have to come prove that it's not aesthetically functional... which I don't think they could do. Why?? Simple question: Why do pickup companies offer pickups in more than one color?
    That would only apply if the mark were listed in The Supplementary Register.
    Since the mark is listed in the Principal Register, the plaintiff would have the burden of proof to show that the mark is aesthetically functional. The only advantage the plaintiff might have is that he could file in a "friendly" district.

I am certain of this. Look it up.

Just tryin' to keep the boys from hurtin' themselves.
    -rb

PS
    But.. if 1000 people donate $100 to the defense... or 100 people donate $1000...
    I would be willing to kick in for a mass card at the Shrine of St. Jude (patron saint of lost causes).
    Last edited by rjb; 08-18-2016, 05:04 AM. Reason: Moved "donation" to PS

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    Does Wayne happen to remember what color or kind of pickup that was Did he mention it?
    I provided the link. Look it up. Wayne said EVH had a DiMarzio pickup, that's all I know.
    According to at least one of the affidavits, cream SDHBs were originally known just as "DiMarzios".
    DiMarzio said he made humbuckers with a cream laminate top before introducing "the present configuration".
    Whatever it looked like, it had to be out of the guitar for Wayne to pot it.
    What does a pic of EVH playing a guitar with single coils prove?
    He's not even two-hand tapping. Are you sure EVH used that technique?

I think we've exceeded my silliness tolerance level.

Bye,
    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 08-18-2016, 04:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    From my research, it looks like they moved between June and July to the Richmond Terrace location.
    Hey, nice digs!
    Maybe that's just where they stored the money.
    Did you know that the headquarters for many large corporations are post office boxes in Delaware ?
    (No, I don't have a photo.)

While you're Google-Earthing around, could you look up Bill's Custom Guitar Shop, 1971 in NYC?
    I don't have the address.

The most important thing here is functionality. Not first use, that's secondary.
    Please avoid that word. It has another meaning.

We can certainly show without a doubt that his use was not substantially exclusive,
    Define substantial. What were Mighty Mite's sales figures during the same period?

(Even if we do politely ignore the striking resemblance of the Mighty Mite Model 1300 Distortion Humbucker to the DiMarzio Model DP100 Super Distortion Humbucker.)

and that it is harmful to competition.
    Jason seems to be doing just fine.

In a previous statement, you mentioned that LSR never made replacement pickups. I've found several ads for LSR replacement pickups, by the way.
    There you go again! <Insert Ronald Reagan recording>
    I, quoting Bill Lawrence, said that Lawrence Electrosounds (founded 1965 in Germany) never made replacement pickups.

Jimmy didn't want them back.
    A likely story. Your honor, are we to believe the testimony of an incorrigible bobbin thief?

I mentioned earlier that that is not the main focus, it's functionality. However, Dimarzio must have been aware of concurrent use,
    "Concurrent" as in 1974, or "concurrent" as in blatant copies made before the trademark application?

exposed coils,
    on a few hotrodded guitars, not on replacement pickups (which were a new industry).

and was certainly aware that '59 PAF bobbins were not white.
    Aged bobbins exposed to light may not have been white, but they weren't "DiMarzio cream" either.

If nothing else, DiMarzio, through market saturation and print ads, undoubtedly pioneered the use of the name "cream" to describe plastic bobbins.
    Can you buy "cream" plastic switch plates at Home Depot? No.
    You can get white, ivory, almond, grey, brown, or black- but not cream.
    Why no "cream"?
    "Real men" just don't use that word- unless they're talking about coffee.
    "Real men" certainly didn't use that word to describe plastic in 1970.
    "Cream" is an interior decorator word.
    Have I won this round of the "silliest arguments" contest?

My inbox has been cleared.
    Message sent.

Later,
    -rb

EDIT
    I just noticed this
    Now, IMO, 6 million bucks worth of pickups "in the present configuration" is an awful lot of pickups. Especially when you consider 1974-1978 dollars. Blah, blah, blah......
    Not again!
    The quoted figure was 3 million, not 6 million.
    Last edited by rjb; 08-18-2016, 04:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WolfeMacleod
    replied
    Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    So is this all just wishful thinking?
    Or, is someone really going to to Take DiMarZZ to court?
    Or, is this thread, just a way to take out their frustrations in futility, by the means of type print?
    I don't see this ever changing without a real court battle.
    Don't see how you are ever going to overturn a 40 year standing ruling?
    Like Lollar mentioned below, spend you time and efforts, trying to come up with something new and viable, and live and let die!
    T
    So far, it's just research.
    Last edited by WolfeMacleod; 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WolfeMacleod
    replied
    Originally posted by rjb View Post
    . Wayne Charvel says he potted EVH's DiMarzio pickup shortly after he opened his shop in 1974
    Does Wayne happen to remember what color or kind of pickup that was Did he mention it?

Supposedly, this in a VH pic from 1974.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    So is this all just wishful thinking?
    Or, is someone really going to to Take DiMarZZ to court?
    Or, is this thread, just a way to take out their frustrations in futility, by the means of type print?
    I don't see this ever changing without a real court battle.
    Don't see how you are ever going to overturn a 40 year standing ruling?
    Like Lollar mentioned below, spend you time and efforts, trying to come up with something new and viable, and live and let die!
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-17-2016, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WolfeMacleod
    replied
    OK, you caught me. I was being facetious. My real point was that if he was only manufacturing pickups in New York and selling them in New Jersey, that would be enough to establish interstate commerce. If he had a legitimate mail-order business, that would be enough to establish use in commerce. And before you mention it, please note that you do not need to be incorporated to be a legitimate business.
    Incorporated, maybe not. New York Secretary of States office shows no Dead sole proprietor business listed either, before that time. First address was 88 Brewster St in 1975.

By January 1978 they were here... and still in June '78...From my research, it looks like they moved between June and July to the Richmond Terrace location.

Now, IMO, 6 million bucks worth of pickups "in the present configuration" is an awful lot of pickups. Especially when you consider 1974-1978 dollars. A current Super Distortion retails for about $79. Surely, they weren't that much back then...but lets assume $79 anyways. That would be 75,949 cream pickups alone. In four years time... or 18,978 pickups per year. Given the size of those two locations, and the one year in Richmond Terrace, and the production capabilities of myself and others I know, I find that a tough pill to swallow. Especially when you consider 1970's dollars.

If you are trying to prove DMZ did not have first use in commerce in 1974, you are truly grasping at straws.
    All three "statements from the trade" (including one from Washington DC suburb Wheaton MD) establish the date as 1974. Wayne Charvel says he potted EVH's DiMarzio pickup shortly after he opened his shop in 1974. Even the Brit "dweeb with a blog" says it is hard to find a DiMarzio pickup made "before 1974".
    If DMZ did not have first use by 1974, that would indicate even faster meteoric growth by the time of publication of the 1978 catalog.
    The most important thing here is functionality. Not first use, that's secondary. We can certainly show without a doubt that his use was not substantially exclusive, and that it is harmful to competition.

OK, got it.
    Now show proof that BL was building and selling humbuckers with uncovered cream-colored bobbins before 1974.
    Because that L-100 ad doesn't cut it.
    Currently difficult, but beign worked on. In a previous statement, you mentioned that LSR never made replacement pickups. I've found several ads for LSR replacement pickups, by the way.

I'm happy for you. So, wait, Kent stole Jimmy Page's PAF bobbins, eh?
    Jimmy didn't want them back.

Yes, I've read that. Some, if not most, undoubtedly were. But, as I've said, Japanese guitar companies were amorphous animals. During the same time period, Maxon also made pickups for Greco. By no later than 1978, some if not all Greco guitars were equipped with DiMarzio pickups.
    I'm not looking for it right now, but I think Ibanez started with Dimarzio in about 1980 or so, if I'm remembering the catalogues I've seen correctly. According to an Ibanez historian I spoke to, it didn't happen until they hooked up with Steve Vai. Not sure when that was.

OK, if you say so.
    So, you are saying LD committed intentional fraud, even if he was unaware that Ibanez was selling crappy copies of Freddie King's flying V and EC's faded burst LP?
    And by exposing this heinous lie, you and the FTC are going to cancel a 40-year old trademark?
    I mentioned earlier that that is not the main focus, it's functionality. However, Dimarzio must have been aware of concurrent use, exposed coils, and was certainly aware that '59 PAF bobbins were not white.

My inbox has been cleared.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    We're workign on other periodicals. For example, I spoke with the editor of Crawdaddy from that time period. He will be searching his vault for evidence of Dimarzio ads between Feb 1974 and Sept 1075 (the earliest found ad so far)
    Have you called Larry?
    He may have a framed copy of the first print ad on his office wall- next to the dollar bill.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this endeavor is silly?
    Note: That wasn't rebuttal. Just plain snark.

Later,
    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2016, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
    Different judges will give different results- assuming you even get that far and the closer you get to a jury trial if applicable the less confident your lawyer is going to be about predicting the results because apparantly juries are known to be unpredictable.
    This might be a good time to share my courtroom anecdote.
    I originally told it in a PM to Wolfe, but I've edited out most "private conversation" parts.

I am not an attorney. But I have had the unenviable experience of witnessing a high-stakes Intellectual Property (patent) trial at the United States District Court, District of Maryland, Baltimore Division.

The defense team estimated the trial would take two days- three at most. The plaintiff was a notorious patent troll. His legal team managed to drag the trial out for four full weeks.

As you should know, mention of the plaintiff’s previous suits or predilection for suing was not allowed during the trial. I thought the defendant was a goner when, during mock deliberation, two nice old lady “ghost jurors” (I’ll explain later) admitted they didn’t understand a word of the testimony, and that they would find in favor of the plaintiff “because he seems like an honest man.”

But “justice prevailed”. The real jury found that the defendant did not infringe the patent- but also that the patent was not invalid. You could say “the defendant won the case”- in the sense that the company was not obliged to pay exorbitant damages to the plaintiff- but only for about five minutes. In that time, an agent for the plaintiff had filed an appeal at the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, Richmond VA.

Jason Lollar and “Possum” have both related how legal actions typically drag on for years. You have stated that Seymour Duncan “won” the DiMarzio infringement suit- but DiMarzio appealed until Duncan ran out of time and money. These are standard legal strategies. Why on earth do you think you or your fellows would be immune to them?

So now, <cough> just what are ghost juries ?

There is a common psychological phenomenon (which I don’t know the name of) whereby people involved in legal actions become so convinced of the righteousness of their position that they become blinded to weaknesses in their own arguments, and cannot imagine anyone having an opposing viewpoint. This can happen to anyone- even lawyers. Or maybe (because of their competitive nature) especially lawyers.

In high-stakes cases, law firms, recognizing this phenomenon, hire consulting firms, typically headed by a shrink, to help them “keep it real”. I don’t know the details, but the consultant’s job is to evaluate the legal team’s courtroom performance and provide feedback to adjust strategies to….

Any “good” trial lawyer is so confident of his presentation that he believes he is “knocking them out”- as in wowing the jury to his position. Part of the consultant’s job is to let the lawyer know if he is “knocking them out”- as in lulling the jurists to sleep or confusing them into catatonia.

To that end, the consultant assembles a “ghost jury”. He finds people with similar demographics to the people in the real jury, hires them to attend the trial, and quizzes them daily to find their opinion on “which side is winning”. At the end of the trial, they go to a room and deliberate like a real jury. Incidentally, ghost jurors are never told “which side” they are working for.

So, that’s how I got to spend a full month in a federal courthouse. Don’t ask how, but I got a gig as a ghost juror. Seriously, don’t ask how. NDAs and all that. I will neither confirm nor deny that when it became apparent I had a knack for detecting and ferreting out discrepancies and contradictions in testimony and evidence- “slips” that went unnoticed by most people (including lawyers)- I was promoted to “Courtroom B.S. Detector”. But no need to mention that. Seriously. Really. I mean it.
    From there, I segued into some private conversation... where I told Wolfe he was "pathologically pig-headed".
    Ooops.

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
    Good luck with it- hope its worth your time and $. Imagine if everyone spent the time they did on this developing new products and construction methods, tooling etc. you might come up with something that could really put you ahead.
    Ah-yup.

-rb
    Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2016, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WolfeMacleod
    replied
    So, you're looking for invoices, receipts, packing lists, etc. from 1974? Maybe a tax return?
    What can I say- statute of limitations for keeping those records is long past.
    Besides, those are not the types of documents called for in the TMEP.
    There's a large box of tooling invoices from the 70's being put together for me.

You say "no ads". Have you checked all the periodicals listed in the affidavit?
    What about commercial displays and/or posters in music stores?
    What about Kiss's appearance on the Mike Douglass Show?
    Have I won this round of the whacky arguments contest yet?
    We're workign on other periodicals. For example, I spoke with the editor of Crawdaddy from that time period. He will be searching his vault for evidence of Dimarzio ads between Feb 1974 and Sept 1075 (the earliest found ad so far)

You know that they did not claim P-Bass and Strat style pickups as being representative of the mark. On the bottom of page 48, the lawyer meticulously identifies which "specimens" are and which are not representative of the mark. Why do you insist on making specious claims that can be disproved in an instant?
    Good catch. Somehow, I did not put that together.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    Calling Mr. Tone

Hey Wolfe,

I tried to reply to your last PM:
    WolfeMacleod has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    Still, they provided nothing in the way to back up the claim of the Mark being used prior to the filing date aside from those statements. No ads, no receipts, no nothing.
    So, you're looking for invoices, receipts, packing lists, etc. from 1974? Maybe a tax return?
    What can I say- statute of limitations for keeping those records is long past.
    Besides, those are not the types of documents called for in the TMEP.

You say "no ads". Have you checked all the periodicals listed in the affidavit?
    What about commercial displays and/or posters in music stores?
    What about Kiss's appearance on the Mike Douglass Show?
    Have I won this round of the whacky arguments contest yet?

When I applied for my trademark, I had to prove use at my claimed date. They did not do that.
    That was then, this is now.
    The examiner accepted DiM's documentation in accordance with standard practice of that era.
    End of story.

They ignored the fact that when the trademark was filed, they were not "substantially exclusive" user of the cream color.
    If you're doing close to a million $ in sales per year, and I can barely recoup the cost of an ad in GP, you have "substantially exclusive use" of the color.

Why would they claim a P-bass and strat style pickups as being a representative of The Mark? (p23) Why all the catalogue pages for stuff that was clearly not The Mark?
    I don't know why they included every page of the catalog. It does cause some confusion, but apparently the examiner figured it out.

You know that they did not claim P-Bass and Strat style pickups as being representative of the mark. On the bottom of page 48, the lawyer meticulously identifies which "specimens" are and which are not representative of the mark. Why do you insist on making specious claims that can be disproved in an instant?
    EDIT:
    Still just sparring, folks.
    Don't worry, it'll be over soon.
    I'm hanging up the gloves.
    For now.
    Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2016, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied
    Actually, you're wrong. Sporadic, minor use, test market sales, or other "token" use is not enough to be considered "Use in commerce." Neither would "selling to friends." And remember "use in commerce" in that which "may be lawfully regulated by US congress"
    OK, you caught me. I was being facetious. My real point was that if he was only manufacturing pickups in New York and selling them in New Jersey, that would be enough to establish interstate commerce. If he had a legitimate mail-order business, that would be enough to establish use in commerce. And before you mention it, please note that you do not need to be incorporated to be a legitimate business.

If you are trying to prove DMZ did not have first use in commerce in 1974, you are truly grasping at straws.
    All three "statements from the trade" (including one from Washington DC suburb Wheaton MD) establish the date as 1974. Wayne Charvel says he potted EVH's DiMarzio pickup shortly after he opened his shop in 1974. Even the Brit "dweeb with a blog" says it is hard to find a DiMarzio pickup made "before 1974".
    If DMZ did not have first use by 1974, that would indicate even faster meteoric growth by the time of publication of the 1978 catalog.

Bill and Becky Lawrence, myself, and Kent Armstrong are good friends. I spoke with Bill regularly up till he died, since 2001, sometimes for hours at a time. Kent knew about the pickups that Bill had made prior to Dimarzio, and he's positive that Larry did as well.
    OK, got it.
    Now show proof that BL was building and selling humbuckers with uncovered cream-colored bobbins before 1974.
    Because that L-100 ad doesn't cut it.

Kent has already sent me a statement that he's willing to swear to. In that statement, he also describes repairing a PAF for Jimmy Page in.. 1970 I think. The PAF was cream. Not white, not unpigmented. Kent replaced it with coil on black bobbins... and he still has those cream bobbins.
    I'm happy for you. So, wait, Kent stole Jimmy Page's PAF bobbins, eh?

By the way, early Ibanez pickups were made by MAXON.
    Yes, I've read that. Some, if not most, undoubtedly were. But, as I've said, Japanese guitar companies were amorphous animals. During the same time period, Maxon also made pickups for Greco. By no later than 1978, some if not all Greco guitars were equipped with DiMarzio pickups.

As for the statement or "original" guitars being sold, it doesn't matter if a guitar was a knock-off or not. "original from the factory" as in "the way the company made it"
    OK, if you say so.
    So, you are saying LD committed intentional fraud, even if he was unaware that Ibanez was selling crappy copies of Freddie King's flying V and EC's faded burst LP?
    And by exposing this heinous lie, you and the FTC are going to cancel a 40-year old trademark?
    Why doe that slug coil look odd? Because the none-adjustable polepieces were square on those particular pickups.
    One of those "staple" jobs? Maybe, hard to tell without greater resolution.
    But I still like the "See! They even knocked off a DiMarzio prototype!" story better.

Later,
    -rb

BTW folks, we're only sparring.
    IMHO, mounting a legal action with easily rebutted arguments is not a fruitful strategy.

EDIT
    On closer examination, I concede that the pickup with "weird slug coil" is a Maxon "staple job" with clear bobbins.
    However, I still like the story that Ibanez made and sold a knockoff of a DiMarzio prototype pickup.
    Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2016, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X