Individual Coil Pickup Winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual Coil Pickup Winding

Question for you guys that make individual coil pickups (a-la Wal). What are you winding them with? Your standard Pickup winder or Something else? I was doing some brainstorming last night and thought maybe a sowing machine bobbin winder might actually work really well and very fast for this type of coil since they are so small and round

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYg9DYzoFt0

Hi Matt, It looks like it would work fine without much modification. Winding the coils is the easy part. The real work is making all of the little parts, and assembly.

edit; Singer sewing machines had auto traverse bobbin winders in the 19th Century

Click image for larger version

Name:	ototrav.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	907511
    Last edited by John_H; 06-14-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

That's amazing! In the 19th century no less.

I've got most everything worked out. I had custom hex screws made, and custom ceramic magnets made. The keeper bars I can make in the cnc in a few hours so I'm not concerned about that. Really the part that concerns me is the base plate. My plan right now is to buy single sided copper PCB and just route away excess copper in the CNC leaving a circuit behind. I want to add a little molex connector on the bottom of the base which should be pretty easy to solder

Comment

Belwar! You're back! Why not gang the 4-8 bobbins at once? For as many spools of 42 as you have anyway. No need for dancers, just felt washers to tension.

Comment

I am back indeed! Good to see you. I've thought about ganging them but my winder has a short shaft length (Thats what she said)

Comment

Could you tack on a tailstock with live center shaft to hold the rest of them? (Live implies that it spins freely on bearings).

Comment

Working...
            X