Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Remving cover on 50s Tele Neck Pickup

Hi,

I have an early 50s tele neck pickup here that was rewound (maybe a couple times). I think the last person may have used epoxy or other "permanent" type adhesive. It will not come off. Typically some heat is the answer. This cover is not budging in the slightest bit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you tried gently heating the assembly? It's quite possible that wax collected between the pickup and the inside of the cover. At room temp the wax can hold the cover firmly and heating with a hair drier and softening the wax will release it. My .02 .. good luck!

Comment

Fender also used lacquer on pickups.

Comment

Anybody? Def not wax or laquer. As already mentioned this pickup has been rewound, maybe a couple times; and heat didn't do a thing-not budging.

Comment

Regular epoxy starts to loosen its grip at about 150 degrees C, but high temperature types will need double this. Maybe the wost case would be if someone used JBweld. I used this to level up a weld repair on my wood burning stove and it's held up just fine without softening or coming away.

You may need to increase the temperatures somewhat. The problem is how hot you can get it without discolouring the plating or damaging the flatwork. Another approach is to alternate spray freeze with moderate heating in order to see if the more extreme contraction and expansion will cause the cover to separate. Spray freeze goes down to about -70 or so. The hope is that the person who assembled the pickup didn't do any particular prep on the inside of the cover such as roughing it up and degreasing it.

Comment

Why is it that wax would not of been a option when the pickup was rewound ? It's a simple choice that works well .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
              Why is it that wax would not of been a option when the pickup was rewound ? It's a simple choice that works well .
              Agreed, but You’d have to ask the guy that did it, who also used cloth tape to wrap the coil.

I’ve removed many covers from wax potted pickups. There’s no way it’s wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Rude Dog View Post

. . . who also used cloth tape to wrap the coil.
                I've only ever used cloth tape to wrap coils (well on 1/4" and up bobbin heights). In my experience, cloth tape provides a marginally more durable/protective layer than paper tape.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

I Would be heating that sucker up with a Hair Dryer for a long time .
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Or more.
                    A hair dryer is gentle, not to kill people, so not much higher than 40 or 50C; a heat gun can easily get 250 C on LOow and melt solder on High, say above 350C.
                    No regular Epoxy stands that.
                    It will not *melt* but lose all strength and be easily be cracked with a large sewing needle or dental pick.
                    Direct heat towards metal cover only, flatwork will carbonize if directly in the very hot air stream.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'd go with using one of those mini gas torches that run on butane gas, that should give you high enough temperatures to break most epoxies and polyesters. They have a small burning point so that you don't have to cook the whole pickup. A little pressure on the metal might help to crack the seal while heating or use it with the spray freeze as well. Hopefully the pickup inside is not too much of a mess.
                      Cheers
                      Andrew

Comment

Working...
                      X