Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demagnetized Pick Up after Guitar Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you, I'm looking at AMAZON but they are a mess... nice place to find fridge magnets though
    Mine are actually fridge or board magnets similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/LTKJ-100PCS-M...3551960&sr=8-2

i am assuming the magnets diameter must match (approx.) the pole's diameter, with is 5 mm in my case
    I prefer 8mm magnets for 5mm poles. Always give perfect results. No experience with other neo sizes and numbers.
    From magnet theory I expect smaller diameter neos and less neos to produce a less focussed/less uniform axial field that may not penetrate the alnicos deeply enough.

how to be sure I am polarizing the Pickup in the right way (north or south).
    Principle is: like poles repel and demagnetize, unlike poles attract and magnetize.
    You may use a compass to identify poles. Or get one of these:https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Magnetic...s%2C258&sr=8-5

Might be a good idea to practice with a scrap (strat) PU.
    If your bridge PU is good, leave it alone and never let the neos get close, not even for the fraction of a second.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-24-2020, 03:07 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Mine are actually fridge or board magnets similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/LTKJ-100PCS-M...3551960&sr=8-2

Principle is: like poles repel and demagnetize, unlike poles attract and magnetize.
      You may use a compass to identify poles. Or get one of these:https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Magnetic...s%2C258&sr=8-5

Might be a good idea to practice with a scrap (strat) PU.
      If your bridge PU is good, leave it alone and never let the neos get close, not even for the fraction of a second.
      thank you, sir!
      yepp... those magnets you show kept popping up on my screen but the word "fridge" threw me off every time... i was looking for "more refined" terms like rare earths or neodymium
      thx!
      good tip on identyfing polarities!
      no scrap PUs at the moment... well, until i try to fix this one that is and depending on how it goes
      i am waiting for the repair guy to conclude if he accepts responsibility or not. he told me yesterday a new guy was doing part of the job on my guitar and he needs to ask him.

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      To anyone who is recharging the magnets ,Most JM pickups are rw/rp so you need to charge them accordingly
      thank you for jumping in and highlighting that point, that's exactly what i meant in the post just before yours "I've read on the SEYMOUR DUNCAN specs (vintage jazzmaster neck) that this one has a reverse polarity winding (RWRP)"

can you be more explicit (for a person like me who has never layed a finger on a pickup before) about what do you mean by "charge them accordingly"?

​​​​​​​thanks again!

Comment

no scrap PUs at the moment... well, until i try to fix this one that is and depending on how it goes
        No real risk to permanently damage a PU with the neos. If you accidentally demagnetized a pole, just remagnetize it. The method even allows to flip PU pole polarity.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

thx!

any comments on copperheadroads' warning? "TMost JM pickups are rw/rp so you need to charge them accordingly"

Comment

Originally posted by TelRay View Post
            thx!

any comments on copperheadroads' warning? "TMost JM pickups are rw/rp so you need to charge them accordingly"
            I think he just meant: Don't change original pole polarity.
            You can use the compass to verify if neck and bridge PUs have opposite magnetic polarity, which means rw/rp PUs.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

thanks!
              now it's a matter of waiting a couple of days and see if this gentleman is going to take responsibility for demagnetizing the PU or not
              Plan B is clear now thanks to y'all

Comment

time for an update.
                I've got my guitar back a couple of weeks ago. the tech purchased a new pickup (Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazzmaster) and replaced it at no charge.
                Everything is working well.
                He gave me back the old pickup too so I might at some point restore it, but right now I don't have any other guitars that will fit this PU.
                Thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                X