J-Bass Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Bass Pickups

Starting to have some modest success with the uber-simple 51 P-Bass pickup. Now getting some requests for J-Bass. I noticed Duncan's vintage clone J-Bass set is wound in the 9's. That seems a little hot if it's 42 so I'm wondering if they (or any vintage/vintage clone) are wound with 43 instead. Anyone?

I'd say you could achieve the low 9k on the Jazz Bridge pickup with 42 gauge wire . being the bobbin is usually .525" inside the top & bottom flatwork .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I'm not worried about getting the wire on there, just how it would sound. Seems a little hot.

Also, what about spacing? Are there varieties of string spacing on Jazz Basses? Are 4-strings pretty consistent? There seems to be 67mm neck and 70mm bridge for some 5-strings and 70mm/74mm for others.

Comment

Spacing is all over the map but Fender never cared about lining poles up with the strings anyway and it won't matter 99% of the time. More important to get the stagger right for the 7.25" radius fingerboards. On 5 strings you'll need to com up with multiple spacings for both neck and bridge. If you're considering split J coils then you'll almost have to use 43 as the gap between the coils is way too close for a 9250 turns wind.

Comment

I made a split Strat pickup once before just to see if it could be done, and it can, except of course as I quickly discovered it means you can't bend the G or D strings without the signal canceling out. Not a problem with basses, or not nearly as much. I would think 4 strings would require multiple spacings for neck and bridge too, the strings get closer together as you move away from the bridge on nearly all guitars and basses.

Comment

There is a lot of J-bass data in the B/H rewind thread.
            Posts 15-26, 128.
            https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-rewinds/page9
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X