What Happened To This Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened To This Place

Just wondering what happened here. This site used to be fairly busy. Now it is rare to see a new post. I still do searches now and then for info.

True that. Traffic seems to be a fraction of what it was, say a decade ago. And even less in the pickup department.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

You taking about pickup makers or MEF in general?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe the pickup forum has just wound its course?........
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          You taking about pickup makers or MEF in general?
          Pickup Makers

Comment

IMHO the new software (which previously lead me to abandon Harmony Central) is a vast downgrade, I can't find anything anymore!
            Although the logic behind the switch is undeniable: ease of use, security or expense, pick any two.
            (also all music is now software based)
            Last edited by tedmich; 05-30-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R G View Post
              Just wondering what happened here. This site used to be fairly busy. Now it is rare to see a new post. I still do searches now and then for info.
              I don't read many of the pickup threads but I do notice the listings and agree they seem to have dried right up.
              Guitar sales are up due to covid, hopefully pickup sales as well and everyone is just too busy?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I must say the new forum layout is crap. I really don't know why people keep changing stuff around. Too many red horn rimmed spectacle types around with fast computers and too much time on their hands. I have noticed it's a bit quiet around here. Maybe we should dig up an ultimate paf thead again that should be worth a few hundred posts.
                Cheers
                Andrew

Comment

One thing I liked about the old forum software was when you were reading a thread you would scroll down and there would a list of links to related threads. I would get lost hours reading those related links and many times they had pertinent information that the current thread was lacking. As far as layout you do get use to the environment and it becomes second nature. Another thing to mention is that search forum function works much better now. Problem with the old software is that renders the site as unsecured. I am sure that was one of Tboy’s main reasons for updating the software. I am just thankful to this site for it’s members willingness to share their knowledge. Not much into pickups but I read those threads a bit too.
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

You know what's not crap?
                    Having to worry about old security holes trolls were searching for too exploit. Having to swat down multiple accounts every day.
                    The building may be new but the regulars are still the same. And what is most important here is the comraderie and the sharing of info not what color the walls are painted or that this hallway doesn't go where it used to.
                    Just remember whats important an what is not. Having somewhere to go to share info.

nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      Having to worry about old security holes trolls were searching for too exploit. Having to swat down multiple accounts every day.
                      The building may be new but the regulars are still the same. And what is most important here is the comraderie and the sharing of info not what color the walls are painted or that this hallway doesn't go where it used to.
                      Just remember whats important an what is not. Having somewhere to go to share info.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                        Having to worry about old security holes trolls were searching for too exploit.
                        H'ray! I'd mentioned that in my original answer, but then noticed the question was about the pickups department. Nevertheless, good answer nosaj and thanks for maintaining security along with the rest of the mod squad & tboy!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'm just grateful that the forum exists at all and there are people willing to put time and money into it. I did prefer the previous version, but it wasn't sustainable. If it was down to me cars would still have points and coil ignition and you could still leave the house without locking the door and not need an alarm system. But you have to move with the times. A few years ago a guy e-mailed me with my password to the old site, along with every other password I had to other insecure sites. No malice intended and he did me a favour. I was always uneasy when logging in and getting a message saying I was logging in to an insecure site and my password may be visible to others.

Comment

I'm very grateful that there are knowledgeable people here willing to freely share their expertise. I don't post much, but I read a lot, and my questions get answered and I learn. This place is a gold mine.

Comment

I can't say what the issue is WRT the pickups forum. I will say that it seems to be where the higher minds have congregated. Not being a technically educated engineer I get lost in the minutia discussed and it quickly goes over my head, but I'm glad that there are people willing to examine these matters because it's research of this caliber that spawned the invention of these devices!!! Though I am of the opinion that the pickups we have are well enough understood and the amps and guitars have been designed around them as they are. Is there more to it than this? I think that may be the position from a manufacturers perspective. And that's unfortunate. A lot of new ideas are brought up and discussed on the pickup forum. Ideas that require the the level of education and dedication to the craft that we fear losing in the future of this genre. So it's a real concern to be sure.

If it's a format issue I would hope that some esteemed posters would speak up on the matter.?. I might speculate that the trouble may be that the people who might be dedicated and educated enough to contribute to such a forum are also old enough to question the necessary level of effort relative to their circumstances.?. This genre dies with us!!! I'm only 53 and I'm already mitigating involvement relative to effort WRT trends in gear. Including pickup technology. If the new format of the forum is making this harder for the best of our contributors (likely older than me) then there is going to be a decline in inciteful contributions. What we will be left with is NO pickup forum and a pale simulacrum of whatever has gone in the past being imitated rote for new gear. That never ends well and the ultimate outcome is a movement to a new technology being practiced by those who are simply less tired and more open to new formats and information technologies. If I'm not being clear, that means digital tech to simulate what we have grown accustomed to. Who needs a properly wound PAF anymore?

JSYK I'm not happily reporting this. It's just the trends as I see them.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X