What Happened To This Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdlunsfo View Post
    Those that are seeking the help seem to prefer facebook..
    True, the traffic is on facebook now. Faster but shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto View Post

True, the traffic is on facebook now. Faster but shallow.
      Agreed. I ran a busy guitar forum, and we noticed people started leaving the forum to post on Facebook about 8 years ago. Little by little it widdled down our traffic to the point we had maybe 8 active members left.

Social media is good for some things. But it is almost useless as a resource database of information. The forums preserve conversations and data as long as the host wishes. And are far easier to search as the forum itself is focused to the topic and smaller. Not wading through a sea of data to find a thimbleful of information posted 10 years ago.

Comment

Just my 2 cents . I'm not as concerned with the format as the content . I rarely read other forums unless linked from here . With google searches I go to them , but rarely find good information . I do like reading about pickup . I have no intent to wind them (yet ) , but I want to learn how to shop for them . Advertising copy really tells you nothing .

Comment

In kind with 35L6 and some earlier sentiments I'll say that while I don't know much about web traffic and what I should be expecting, it always surprises me how many unregistered guests are viewing even though it's the same thirty or so members in rotation with six to twelve at a time that are actually logged in (EDIT: Just checked and right now it's 591 guests and twelve members). Clearly the forum isn't just for these thirty members because A LOT of people are reading and benefitting from the information database here. As long as the viewership is viable it makes sense for the site to continue. Whether there are thirty base contributors or a hundred and thirty. So at least there's that.

I do miss some members that have drifted off. Some with scholarly input and others with practical experience. Some with both. It's all valuable and somehow the balance here makes this the best forum of it's kind for most things relating the music electronics genre. Once was the time when I wouldn't be surprised to see fifty members on line. Alas, as mentioned, other social media may be taking the place of this forum. Either as a resource or, at the very least, a disposable time sink. Some of what we do here has a lot to do with our age demographic too. Which means "we" are the cranky codgers carrying the torch. Possible at the end of the race as DIY possibilities, gear preferences and technologies in the genre continue to change (for the worse, of course ).
          Last edited by Chuck H; 06-13-2021, 04:54 PM.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            Very true .& sad . Any one want to start a discussion about pickups ?
            I would !
            {You first ]......

Comment

Just a reminder, a GREAT many of those guests we see all the time are web bots. How else do Google and others find our posts to report back?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Just a reminder, a GREAT many of those guests we see all the time are web bots. How else do Google and others find our posts to report back?
                Sadly true I suppose. And some are just technology thieves looking for whatever they can pilfer or people looking to see if this is a good place to cook their spam. Sometimes I look at the "who's on line" tab and see what guests are reading. I like to think that it's people finding needed information. Probably wishful thinking.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I read for years before I ever posted .

Comment

All the forums (amps, guitars, pickups, etc) have had a serious decline in traffic and seems everyone has gone to Facebook. Facebook groups work fine but it all scrolls off and then it is gone whereas here everything is saved. It may take awhile for people to navigate back. I think it is also a self-perpetuating thing. People see little traffic so they go somewhere else where there is more traffic. If they would just come here instead then it would be vibrant again. I've been around here a long time and people like Mike Soldano and Randall Aiken and Andy Marshall used to post here on Ampage all the time. Also Jason Lollar was often here on the pickup forum a lot but not as much anymore. They are all very rarely around now, probably still lurking from time to time, and same is true for many of the long timers. Glad that Enzo, and JH Fahey, and others are still here, and of course glad that you are still here R.G.

Greg

Comment

I think you make a good point, though I see it the other way. I think these people are already on Facebook, so they look there first. It may never occur to them that there might be a better place, like MEF, so they don't seek us out.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And this was a good reminder to send in an annual donation to support this site!! DONE !!
                        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
                          here everything is saved.
                          ^^^ that right there is one of the major attractions at MEF. Well, as long as we don't have another server crash like in 2013 or thereabouts. Lots of "institutional memory." Sometimes those in the know will guide the pilgrim towards an old thread, sometimes google search works better than MEF search. There is a huge treasury of knowledge and experience here that is extremely valuable.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            I think you make a good point, though I see it the other way. I think these people are already on Facebook, so they look there first. It may never occur to them that there might be a better place, like MEF, so they don't seek us out.
                            I agree with you, though I'd say that even many of the long time users here have migrated to elsewhere like Facebook. I think they know about the MEF already but they're already on Facebook and they are lazy.

Greg

Comment

Just my opinion and not horn tootin', but what I've seen on facebook is a lot of bad information. I know that many or even most of the older experienced guys here don't even have facebook pages. I'd much rather get advice from this lot than the facebook folks who's experience is limited to what they've read on the internet. It's gotta be true if it's on the internet, right?
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                                Just my opinion and not horn tootin', but what I've seen on facebook is a lot of bad information. I know that many or even most of the older experienced guys here don't even have facebook pages. I'd much rather get advice from this lot than the facebook folks who's experience is limited to what they've read on the internet. It's gotta be true if it's on the internet, right?
                                Yes. Ok. But WE are the weird ones culturally speaking. We want accurate information that gets us closer to our creative goals as artists, craftsmen and designers by avocation or trade. I think what MOST people want is an opportunity to read over lots of diverse and varied opinions so they can cherry pick the stuff they simply like the sound of or that agrees with their original concept (right or wrong, doesn't matter). Leave the real thinking to the eggheads. "I read this on the internet."

Comment

Working...
                                X