What Happened To This Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    ...... I think what MOST people want is an opportunity to read over lots of diverse and varied opinions so they can cherry pick the stuff they simply like the sound of or that agrees with their original concept (right or wrong, doesn't matter)......
    I'm perfectly fine with those types having their own web space.

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Yes. Ok. But WE are the weird ones culturally speaking. We want accurate information that gets us closer to our creative goals as artists, craftsmen and designers by avocation or trade. I think what MOST people want is an opportunity to read over lots of diverse and varied opinions so they can cherry pick the stuff they simply like the sound of or that agrees with their original concept (right or wrong, doesn't matter). Leave the real thinking to the eggheads. "I read this on the internet."
      I like people who help me grow and learn even if i can be a little slow at it. But over the years I ask for less help because some of it actually sticks.
      nosaj
      You Guys are my kinds of peoples.....!!!!
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I don't think the average soul knows whether the information he receives is good or not.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          I don't think the average soul knows whether the information he receives is good or not.
          I'm afraid that was part of the point :-/
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yep, that is why I fought so hard to kick that certain someone we shan't name off this board: The inexperienced had no way to know what he told them was bogus.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Facebook discourse usually isn't very deep. It's easy come, easy go. No need to make an account, verify though email, wait 24 hours... you just type something and hit send. People who talk pickups on Facebook would only ever have been lurkers here, and probably still are. Facebook is less intimidating, because it seems less impermanent, but here it feels like everything is a permanent record. The barrier for entry in a forum like this is higher, the reduced traffic here really does indicate waning interest.

Comment

The Facebook private groups are much better than the open discussions. I recently completed a Gurdy and had a few issues. I'm not on Facebook, but my Wife is and asked to join the Hurdy Gurdy private group. I got plenty of advice and direct assistance from Nigel Eaton as a result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpWI3oHcV58

Pretty impressive.

Lots of positive comments and advice off everyone else there, too. No scathing comments or derogatory stuff that seems usual with many open groups.

The worst thing I experienced lately was a pre-sales inquiry post to ask whether the product would adapt the engine management software on my car to accept a replacement EGR valve. This was met with a reply saying I was unintelligent and should take the car to a dealer. To add a real insult one of the people behind the company selling the product I was interested in 'liked' that post. And they wonder why people buy Chinese Knock-offs of their product.
                Last edited by Mick Bailey; 07-03-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Yep, that is why I fought so hard to kick that certain someone we shan't name off this board: The inexperienced had no way to know what he told them was bogus.
                  Do you mean folks shouldn't use a 24 ounce framing hammer to put the fix on errant Cratepegs?
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Y'see? Right there!!! Anyone with an OUCE of sense would have called that a 680 GRAM framing hammer...

Comment

Working...
                    X