Strat/Tele sized rail humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat/Tele sized rail humbuckers

After all these years got my first query about such a pickup. There seems to be parts available for them but I'm trying to figure out how they're held together, particularly how the little narrow bobbins are secured to the base flat. Also, do you just let bare coil wire hang off for the start and finish leads and wrap them into the eyelets like a traditional Fender pickup? Or do you run 28-GA insulated leads from the coil like a traditional humbucker? I would guess not with so little space on those bobbins.

I suppose I could just snag a used one off Ebay and reverse engineer but times are tight to where I can't afford that so if anyone has an exploded view of a Duncan Rails or something similar, fire when ready...

EDIT: Oh, and here's the kicker -- needs to be 7-string so maybe there aren't necessarily parts available. Or are there? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 06-05-2021, 08:49 PM.

I just came across this strange thing while looking for something else and it reminded me of this thread. I thought at first the bobbins might be useful but I see you are looking for 7-string. There are photos of the back where you can see how it is assembled, all four coils of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15397412752...wAAOSwP2VfZC1O

Comment

I bought a tele humbucker rail type pickup several years ago. I dissected it, rewound it a couple of times, and eventually gave it away. The blades extended through the baseplate that also had eyelets. The ceramic magnet sat between them. This held everything together after the bobbins were taped. The pickup didn't sound much like a tele bridge pickup. They were dark sounding without much character, and useless IMO wired parallel. It would be interesting to see where the resonant peak is on these. The easiest route would be to buy cheap pickups for the parts. If I were tasked to build from scratch, I'd make forbon stops, and wind directly upon the rails.
      Last edited by John_H; 06-09-2021, 08:39 PM.

Comment

How would you cut the blade holes cleanly?

Comment

The base is like a strats, there aren't slots in the bottom but a long rectangle which is the dims of the blades plus magnet.
          Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Just wondering how you would cut the rectangular holes really precise and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              Just wondering how you would cut the rectangular holes really precise and clean.
              A router for the channel, a small file to square off the corners.

Comment

Laser cutter! if you have one.. There are precut kits. ja-honeybee.com/shop/list.php?ca_id=2050

Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Working...
                X