Cleaning laser cut flatwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning laser cut flatwork

Does anyone have a trick for easily removing the thin layer of goo that's left behind on the cut edges of laser cut vulcanized fiberboard? I don't really care about it when the flatwork is buried in a case, but I'm doing some pickup designs now with colored flatwork that's exposed, and it's a huge pain to sit there and wipe each bit of flatwork down to remove the goo. And it clogs files and sandpaper! I'm wondering if there's something the pieces could be soaked in to remove it, without damaging the fiberboard itself? Or some other easy answer I'm missing? I've tried isopropyl alcohol, it didn't do much.

I just use a coarse dry rag ,A face cloth , but it's done by hand .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I use the technique Jason Lollar posted a while back. Put some Windex in a sealable container, place your laser cut flatwork in it, put the lid on the container, then just shake it for 10 seconds or so. Remove the flatwork from the container and just pat dry with a paper towel. Easy, quick and 100% effective.
      Last edited by kayakerca; 08-20-2021, 01:00 AM.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

A damp paper towel or cloth is all you need. Don't over think it.... Water+towel=done..
        Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

The "overthink" in terms of wiping the stuff off with a towel or cloth is easily getting it out of holes. or nooks and crannies. It's a pain to wipe it out of a bunch of small holes and/or a laser etched logo, for instance. I will try the Windex idea, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

Comment

I wipe it off the flat surface ,No need to get it out of the holes . the residue is around the holes . .. easy peasy .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I wanted to circle back on this. Windex trick works great! I can put a couple dozen pieces in a big Tupperware of Windex, shake them for a couple seconds, then pull them out and let dry. Tupper ware of Windex goes on the shelf for next time. Minimal effort and they come out completely clean! Way less tedious and more effective than wiping each one off when you've got a lot of flatwork to clean.

Comment

Always rinsed the flatwork in warm water and dry them off with a heat gun about 12" away.

Comment

Working...
                X