Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the market to buy a few Tele type knobs, for solid Shaft Pots.
    All of them, I've looked at are pretty pricey?
    Any suggestions?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I'm in the market to buy a few Tele type knobs, for solid Shaft Pots.
      All of them, I've looked at are pretty pricey?
      Any suggestions?
      T
      Try this guy on ebay. I use his stuff a lot. His name is Peter Kessler and he has a violin shop in Canada but he imports a lot of good quality guitar parts from Korea and sells them on ebay at near wholesale prices. I think it is mostly Sung Il. But everything I have gotten is really good quality. I think at one time he bought out the inventory of the old Shadow factory in Germany and he still also has some guitar wood etc. from that. Take a look through the whole store before you make your order, the deal on the shipping is he only charges the shipping on the one highest shipping cost item in your order. Also it is better to keep the total cost of a single order under about $150 to prevent slowing things down in customs.

This is not the only chrome dome setscrew tele knob he has but it's the one I like.
      HEAVY CHROME ELECTRIC GUITAR KNOB
      www.sonnywalton.com
      How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Thanks Sonny:
        I don't have a FleaBay Account at the present.
        Trying to keep life simple, and not get anymore accounts, if that makes any sense?
        Anyway I remembered I had seen some at Grizzly.
        I thought I might give these a try.
        T1102 Guitar Knob-Metal Nickel Pair
        Under $4 for a pair.
        I want to put some on my test strat, then I can use the Cheap 1 meg amp style Tone Pots.
        I also like the look of these.
        T1105 Guitar Knob-Rosewood w/ Eye Pair
        You can get them in ebony also.
        http://www.grizzly.com/products/Guit...Eye-Pair/T1104
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I don't have a FleaBay Account at the present.
          Trying to keep life simple, and not get any more accounts, if that makes any sense?
          I have found eBay to be a good source for a lot of different items. For one thing you might find lower shipping charges compared to the main supply sites. Like I just got the Tonepros locking studs for the PRS SE guitars at a great price on eBay- $33 w/ free shipping compared to $43 at MF.

I think that eBay gives the little guys a chance to make money selling product. And if a person or store has excess stock that they want to liquidate eBay can work well for them. Most of the complaints I hear about eBay have to do with the charges that the seller has to pay.

My own complaint with eBay is that their guarantee isn't worth the paper that it isn't printed on. If you have a problem with an auction (like something lost in shipment) their only guarantee is that they will help you seek reimbursement from the seller. If the seller won't budge then eBay will do absolutely nothing for you so I really do not consider that to be a guarantee. I have had much better luck with Amazon handling lost shipments or defective items.

Another caveat about eBay is that many sellers insist on PayPal these days so you pretty much need a PayPal account to use eBay. Small operations usually can't handle credit cards although that is changing with Square and some other companies which can turn your iPhone or iPad (or the Android equivalent) into a credit card terminal for a very reasonable price. There were articles in the paper recently about some Girl Scouts using Square for cookie sales- and how they were able to sell twice as much because of the convenience of using a credit card. (Square could be a big help for the small businesses here on the forum.)

Steve Ahola
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post

Another caveat about eBay is that many sellers insist on PayPal these days so you pretty much need a PayPal account to use eBay.

Steve Ahola
            That's very true but personally, I prefer to use PayPal over giving my credit card wherever possible. You don't need a PayPal account to use PayPal. You just enter your credit card data when you "check out" on a PayPal purchase.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...anding-outside
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

• At this stage in my life, I only deal with reputable businesses, and I do use my CC.
              I don't need anymore accounts.
              That is why I hang out here, this is my hobby, not a Bizz!
              But back to Topic, does anyone else have any good buys on Tele Solid shaft Knobs.
              I was going to buy from Grizzly, but their shipping is Atrocious.
              I have to order some pickup stuff from Mojo, so I'll just order from Them.
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 06-10-2013, 06:12 AM.
              Terry

Comment

• Anyone Wind anything or build anything exciting this weekend?
                I used to make Humbuckers all the time, then I did a bunch of Strat pickups, and pickguards, Right now its been Tele stuff.
                What are you working on?
                T
                Terry

Comment

Anyone ...exciting this weekend?
                  I used to make Humbuckers ...
                  What are you working on?
                  Hamburgers.
                  Just kidding. Paella.
                  Looking forward to gaspacho.
                  Balmy season has started in Bawlmer.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Been hot already here in the south.
                    It was 102f earlier in the week, it rained most of today.
                    At least we had a spring this year, last year this time we were already breaking records, in a burn ban.
                    Last year was the first year, that I ever remember having a burn ban in our county on Independance day.
                    No fireworks.
                    This year much wetter, and very Humid.
                    I tried to get more pickup work earlier in the spring, but looks like I get to do it in hotter weather.
                    Still no AC in the shop.
                    I bet it's cooler in the North country at Coppers and Jims House?
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 06-17-2013, 05:41 AM.
                    Terry

Comment

• No winding for me this weekend, last Thursday I spilled a drink into my laptop and toasted it. (OK I know that isn't how one should "toast" a laptop) Anyway have spent the last two days getting back on line with a new laptop after spending a couple of days before that trying to resurrect the old one. Most of the time it wouldn't even come on. The hard drive wasn't hurt so all my data was available without having to resort to older backups. Anyway almost back to normal now.

I do have an order for one of the mini-blade style strat pickups, but done with Alnico 5, so I should get to winding this week sometime. It is to be wound for a neck position to match up to a Wilde XL500 in the bridge and no middle pickup. I get to take all the data off of that one too, which will be nice to have. On that guitar which is a Charvel, the owner wants me to custom make him a special pickguard and furnished the material for that. I will have to cut a template for the outline from the cracked old one he furnished, then route for the HB and the single. Also wants me to redo all the wiring. He pulled that all out when he refinished the body himself and he did a nice job on it. But that job is in line behind making a new bone nut and saddle plus a setup on a flattop folk guitar for the same customer.
                      www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• What's the matter Sonny, can't your Keyboard handle it's Drinking.
                        I did that one time when I was working years ago.
                        About 2 drops of water hit my old NEC Laptop keyboard, and it locked the screen.
                        It never Pee'd another drop!
                        The Good News, it belonged to Lucent, and not me.
                        I was a head tech, and they couldn't get me another one fast enough, they was afraid I would goof off without it!
                        BTW Sonny, did your customer like the Monkey on the Stick Pickup?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

What's the matter Sonny, can't your Keyboard handle it's Drinking.
                          I did that one time when I was working years ago.
                          About 2 drops of water hit my old NEC Laptop keyboard, and it locked the screen.
                          It never Pee'd another drop!
                          The Good News, it belonged to Lucent, and not me.
                          I was a head tech, and they couldn't get me another one fast enough, they was afraid I would goof off without it!
                          BTW Sonny, did your customer like the Monkey on the Stick Pickup?
                          T
                          Unfortunately I don't think the old one is ever going to play again either. These days you just can't do without a pc. I couldn't even make an invoice. At least I had a backup computer that would let me do some things. After two days of trying to fix it, I ended up buying a new laptop. At least they have come down in price. I didn't have too much problem rescuing all my data and programs since that is what I did for years as part of my job when I was working. But it did take time and money. The best thing I did was get a new version of a program called PCMover by laplink. That gem was able to reinstall all of my programs and data from the hard drive of my old pc to this one, even though it is a different operating system, Windows 8. Out of 92 programs installed, I only have so far had to repair two of them from the original discs.

As far as how the customer liked the Monkey on a Stick pickup, he seemed very pleased with the reports that I posted, but I haven't heard back about how it worked out for him. Since it is a guitar store, it may be that I might not get to hear from the final customer, but I guess the real test is if I get another order from them.
                          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                            The best thing I did was get a new version of a program called PCMover by laplink. That gem was able to reinstall all of my programs and data from the hard drive of my old pc to this one, even though it is a different operating system, Windows 8. Out of 92 programs installed, I only have so far had to repair two of them from the original discs.
                            Thats great to know Sonny. I make full images of the hard drives of both my work and play machines every 3-4 weeks . I've been using Acronis True Image for well over 10 years and Ghost for many years before that. If I have a HDD failure or a complete meltdown I can be back up and running within 20-30 minutes with about 6 mouse clicks. Every byte exactly where it was before the failure.

Only problem with True Image workstation is that the image will only work in a machine with identical (or in very rare cases, similar) hardware so If I have an HP that craps out and I want a newer HP machine with different hardware or an IBM machine I need to start from scratch.

I've been wanting to buy a new home machine for a while now but dread the work it takes to get it set up exactly the way I have it now. It can take days or weeks to get everything just the way I like it depending on how much time I spend on it per day. A program like PCMover sounds like it might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again Sonny!

Comment

• I'm another one who makes copies of the OS (Gentoo in my case - see here if you're a gentoo user). Every time I'm about to install a new program or update a piece of software, I always refresh the backup. The backup is on a separate - ie bootable - partition so if something goes wrong I can instantly reboot into the previous version of the OS & apps without having to muck about reinstalling files from backup disks.

It's a good idea to try to separate your data files from OS & apps files in your backup routines. Data files really should be backed-up daily but OS & apps usually don't change very often so there are two fundamentally different backup schedules.

If you have any important data which you cannot afford to lose, you should always have a copy on three separate disks. I once worked for a small business where we only had one backup copy of financial data. One day, a hard drive failed and when we tried to restore from the backup it also had a problem. Eventually we managed to sort it out but not before we learned the meaning of "squeaky bum time".

Comment

• I'm primarily a web surfer.
                                I've not been happier since I took my hard drive out of my Laptop machine, and run FREE Linux Mint 14 and 15 on Flash Drives.
                                I keep all my Documents on a seperate Flash drive, in my desk Drawer.
                                No Virus Scan, No Malware software to buy, I run the Free Libreoffice suite, so no Microsoft Pro Office to buy.
                                Nothing to register, I don't know why it's not more popular.
                                With no Virus Scan and Malware software running My Laptop is much faster than a Windoz Box.
                                I use Firefox, and Opera Web Browsers.
                                Granted it would not have all the many applications for business, and when I worked, and drug a laptop around for many years like a ball and chain I did the same as Stratz.
                                I never ever have any virus issues, Like I seemed to have constantly with XP, and Win7.
                                With Linux Mint, the only thing I do is monitor the update button on the bottom of the utility bar.
                                When it turns blue, I click on it and it installs the Updates, that are usually available a few times a week.
                                Linux Mint 14 is the most stable system I've ever run, and I have been using Laptops for 20 Years.
                                The Free LibreOffice Suite is very similar to Microsoft Office Pro 2003 version, and you can save your documents in the XL, and Doc type formats.
                                Give it a try I will never go back to the Microsoft Way!
                                8 Months Windoz Free.
                                Free at Last, Free at Last!
                                Did I mention it is Free!!! lol
                                http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X