Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uline's tape is quite nice .& their boxes are reasonable price & as usual,it cost almost the same price to ship 200 boxes as them ....But it is quite a large & heavy package .........
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• I think I'm just about stocked on wire, Remington is absolutely the best prices for spn and hpn.
      I got some hfv from BAE, but their shipping prices kill their prices on just about everything..Why is everything $15 to ship?

I've been getting more and more requests for "high output" stuff. Like 15-20k. I just made a 20k bucker for someone with an alnico8 magnet and the guy loved it, and wants another just like it. It's got a lot of balls in the upper mid range, very present and in your face. He also wanted alnico8 for a neck pickup, but I talked him into an alnico5 and considerably lower than 20k, closer to 10k in fact, it should match well with another alnico8 20k bridge bucker. I've not experimented with alnico8 in the neck, but I assumed that alnico 8 and 20k would be pretty darn muddy in the neck, but who knows..
      Anyone make much 44spn high output stuff? I'm also thinking of picking up a spool of 41awg. I've got 40awg in HPN and another 40awg spool that looks like heavy formvar but it might just be hpn (NOS spool from the 80's I found on ebay), but I think 41 may be more practical than 40 and was interested in trying it..

I picked up a spool of 44hpn from temco on ebay which is kinda cool as well, makes a nice and mean strat pickup. Because it runs about the same diameter as 43awg, I've been experimenting a bit with it and substituting instead of 43awg to test..
      I don't know of anyone else that sells 44hpn so it's a bit pricier than I would like at $40 for 1lb, but its neat stuff..

Comment

• Sounds like you are having fun with the High output Pickups.
        I use 44SPN on the Strat blade pickups I make some.
        I use 43 for most of my full sized Bridge Humbuckers.
        I still prefer 42 on a neck full sized humbucker.
        Can get around 15.5-16k with 43.
        That is hot enough for Guys around here.
        Drives my JCM800 Clone fine.
        I just built a 16k bucker with a A8 yesterday, and repotted it again today.
        It is pretty hot, sounds great with Drop D tuning.
        I like the Remington SP and HP wire fine, I've used a ton of it.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Sounds like you are having fun with the High output Pickups.
          I use 44SPN on the Strat blade pickups I make some.
          I use 43 for most of my Bridge Humbuckers.
          I still prefer 42 on a neck full sized humbucker.
          Can get around 15.5-16k with 43.
          That is hot enough for Guys around here.
          Drives my JCM800 Clone fine.
          I just built a 16k bucker with a A8 yesterday, and repotted it again today.
          It is pretty hot.
          I like the Remington SP and HP wire fine, I've used a ton of it.
          T
          I can get 43 in that range too, it does make a great pickup.., now that I have my tension more consistent, about 8000 turns of 43 fits pretty nicely.., that 44hpn also sounds great in that same output range too.. Even 10,000 turns on a p90 bobbin now I seem to have plenty of room left, whereas before I was struggling to get 10,000 turns of 42awg on a p90.. I only get flaring on p90's if I'm using those thin mojo p90 bobbins, those things flare if I touch them wrong..
          ...but for some reason there is a ton of people out there now that want something like what Bare Knuckle Pickups offers, and they have a couple 20+k pickups. I only put about 8300 turns on each humbucker bobbin of the 44spn (ended up 20.5k IIRC), I'm sure I could probably get it around 10,000 turns on each, that would probably put it in the 25k ballpark range...haven't had any requests for quite that much resistance though.. but I'm sure someone will ask.
          I don't really have any predetermined winds that I use (except the standard 10000 turns p90 and 5000 turns humbucker), so I normally go based off what someone is after.

I had someone request a neck humbucker with 43PE wound to 7-8k...I had to steer him away from that, not sure where he read that would work well, but I tried telling him it would sound thin and anemic being that underfilled, but he insisted. Never heard back though when it was time to pay. He was insistent upon me using 43PE for everything, including making a bridge bucker to ~18k with 43PE... must've read some seriously bad info IMO. I'm not sure if I could get 9000 turns of 43 on a humbucker bobbin...
          Last edited by buddha0709; 04-16-2014, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
            I can get 43 in that range too, it does make a great pickup.., now that I have my tension more consistent, about 8000 turns of 43 fits pretty nicely.., that 44hpn also sounds great in that same output range too.. Even 10,000 turns on a p90 bobbin now I seem to have plenty of room left, whereas before I was struggling to get 10,000 turns of 42awg on a p90.. I only get flaring on p90's if I'm using those thin mojo p90 bobbins, those things flare if I touch them wrong..
            ...but for some reason there is a ton of people out there now that want something like what Bare Knuckle Pickups offers, and they have a couple 20+k pickups. I only put about 8300 turns on each humbucker bobbin of the 44spn (ended up 20.5k IIRC), I'm sure I could probably get it around 10,000 turns on each, that would probably put it in the 25k ballpark range...haven't had any requests for quite that much resistance though.. but I'm sure someone will ask.
            I don't really have any predetermined winds that I use (except the standard 10000 turns p90 and 5000 turns humbucker), so I normally go based off what someone is after.

I had someone request a neck humbucker with 43PE wound to 7-8k...I had to steer him away from that, not sure where he read that would work well, but I tried telling him it would sound thin and anemic being that underfilled, but he insisted. Never heard back though when it was time to pay. He was insistent upon me using 43PE for everything, including making a bridge bucker to ~18k with 43PE... must've read some seriously bad info IMO. I'm not sure if I could get 9000 turns of 43 on a humbucker bobbin...
            Don't you find that the smaller you go on wire size, that the pickup seems to lose something.
            Character, dynamics, volume, seems thinner sounding, etc.
            I Can't really put my finger on it, but IMO it is there.
            What do you think?
            On the 8300 turns 44 vs. 8000 of 43, shouldn't be a huge difference.
            I have trouble winding 44 without some breakage.
            I really like to wind the 41, and 42HPN, it seems like well rope after using the 44.
            I wind by hand, may be easier with Traverse and tension setup.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Don't you find that the smaller you go on wire size, that the pickup seems to lose something.
              Character, dynamics, volume, seems thinner sounding, etc.
              I Can't really put my finger on it, but IMO it is there.
              What do you think?
              On the 8300 turns 44 vs. 8000 of 43, shouldn't be a huge difference.
              I have trouble winding 44 without some breakage.
              I really like to wind the 41, and 42HPN, it seems like well rope after using the 44.
              I wind by hand, may be easier with Traverse and tension setup.
              T
              absolutely, I don't think I would make anything like that for myself.
              The clip the guy sent me though, sounded good, but he is a great player (metal) and could probably sound good with just about anything...It was 20.5k with alnico8, and it wasn't bass heavy or too much highs, it was actually very mid heavy and it cut through very well..Maybe the alnico8 helps it from sounding too muddy and flat. Anywho, he loved it and ordered another the next week.
              I actually do fairly well with 44, 44hpn is even easier as it is about the same diameter as 43spn. And yeah, I know what you mean, going from 44 to 42 even feels strange, like going to a very thick wire.. I feel like it would be very difficult to break 42 after winding a few with 44.
              I wind by hand too, but I have a much improved rig now for my tension and I hardly ever snap any wire. It's very primitive, but it seems to work well for me. It definitely took some guessing though.

Comment

• The high output pickups, like you say get middy for sure.
                On the A8s, depending on what I'm doing with them, I vary the gauss some.
                On the One I've been working on it has the 8k+ turns, per bobbin.
                Fully charged you can get 1300-1450 or so gauss, from the A8.
                I discharge it some, and charged it back to around 950-1000 gauss.
                Still plenty hot and bright, but took some of that over aggressiveness off of it.
                The Neck P/U I'm running with it is a 7.4k ohms A5.
                It too is plenty bright and not muddy at all.
                Not sure I would still have any wire breakage problems with the 44 since I got the new Mojo Winder.
                Don't think I've broke a wire with it since I've been using it the past several weeks.
                The Mojo winder allows you to take off slow, and it has some braking when you stop.
                Not sure how all that works, but it does.
                Pickups are Fascinating Creatures, and seems like we can always come up with something different to do and try with them.
                T
                Terry

Comment

The high output pickups, like you say get middy for sure.
                  On the A8s, depending on what I'm doing with them, I vary the gauss some.
                  On the One I've been working on it has the 8k+ turns, per bobbin.
                  Fully charged you can get 1300-1450 or so gauss, from the A8.
                  I discharge it some, and charged it back to around 950-1000 gauss.
                  Still plenty hot and bright, but took some of that over aggressiveness off of it.
                  The Neck P/U I'm running with it is a 7.4k ohms A5.
                  It too is plenty bright and not muddy at all.
                  Not sure I would still have any wire breakage problems with the 44 since I got the new Mojo Winder.
                  Don't think I've broke a wire with it since I've been using it the past several weeks.
                  The Mojo winder allows you to take off slow, and it has some braking when you stop.
                  Not sure how all that works, but it does.
                  Pickups are Fascinating Creatures, and seems like we can always come up with something different to do and try with them.
                  T
                  I've never experimented with different charges on bar mags. I just go based off what they come charged at from AFX.
                  I wrote the folks at magnetichold to see what their prices are, but they quoted me basically the same price as Dennis at AFX so it isn't worth it for me.
                  I've got one of those cheap round gaussmeters that I got for free, like this:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	N501203001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	833118
                  not sure how accurate that actually is though, and how to read it...

I'm pretty content with my winder, I need to modify the potentiometer internally for the speed control but it was cheap and works great. I'm using the harbor freight mini lathe, got it shipped new for $100.
                  If this ever become a bigger business for me though, I may certainly look into upgrading my winder, but I'm pretty content with just a couple orders a week right now...

Comment

• I have used some ADFX magnets.
                    I now either use Mojo, or Magnetichold.
                    I liked the A2 Bar mags I got from Shea at MH, a couple years back, but they are about all gone.
                    I will probably restock from Mojo.
                    I just wound a pair of bobbins with 8500 turns of 43SPN.
                    One is a Blade Bobbin and the other is a Screw bobbin.
                    I have a couple of the hybrids I made several years back.
                    I will rebuild one of those and see how it sounds with a A8.
                    I'll let you know what I come up with.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

I have used some ADFX magnets.
                      I now either use Mojo, or Magnetichold.
                      I liked the A2 Bar mags I got from Shea at MH, a couple years back, but they are about all gone.
                      I will probably restock from Mojo.
                      I just wound a pair of bobbins with 8500 turns of 43SPN.
                      One is a Blade Bobbin and the other is a Screw bobbin.
                      I have a couple of the hybrids I made several years back.
                      I will rebuild one of those and see how it sounds with a A8.
                      I'll let you know what I come up with.
                      T
                      yikes, magnets from Mojo? Their prices are 2x more, do they have a secret discount I don't know about?
                      AFX is 2.50ea, Mojo is 4.00ea. Is their a quality difference in their mags?
                      I like the cheap shipping from AFX too, they charge less to ship a longer distance than mojo does, and mojo is 1 state away from me while AFX is cross country..
                      I seem to always get little extras in my order with AFX and GPUSA while mojo never gives any extras, though I know that is not expected, but still, it says something to me.
                      Some things I have to go to mojo for though..

I've not experimented with blade bobbins, any insight?

Comment

• Mojo gives dealer discounts.
                        On the ADFX site they show their bar magnets to be $3.80 each.
                        Whatever works, and whatever you can get the best deal on.
                        Mojo works for me.
                        On parts now a days we seem to use what we can get.
                        GL,
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Mojo gives dealer discounts.
                          On the ADFX site they show their bar magnets to be $3.80 each.
                          Whatever works, and whatever you can get the best deal on.
                          Mojo works for me.
                          On parts now a days we seem to use what we can get.
                          GL,
                          T
                          I hear ya, it's all about where we can get it cheapest
                          AFX has bar magnets on their eBay store for 2.50ea +under $5 for shipping.
                          Rod magnets are $48 shipped for 100, u can mix and match.
                          Not sure how much mojo is with the discount but maybe I need to sign up for it. I've already spent a few hundred there in the last 5-6 months.

Comment

• I didn't get my Hybrid Bucker put together today.
                            Maybe tomorrow. Anxious to see how it will sound with 17000 turns combined?
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

• Here's the Hybrid blade, & Screw Coil Overwound pickup in my test SG clone.
                              I will take it out soon and install it in a Ibby Lefty Clone I have, but need to do some rewiring on the guitar first.
                              This pickup has 2 coils, each wound to 8500 turns of 43SPN, and DCR is around 17.5k at room temp.
                              It sounds surprisingly good clean, but loves gain and Drop D tuning.
                              I have a A8 magnet that was originally 1400 gauss, and I discharged it and recharged it 1000 gauss.
                              Sounds Great!
                              Some Metal player would love it for distorted Power Chords.
                              Yes I know the argument of Overwound Pickups vs. Normal Paf wound!
                              But, Dog-gone-it sometimes nothing will do except Balls to the Wall Overwound, OverDrive, & Pedal to the Metal!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	833164
                              Last edited by big_teee; 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Here's the Hybrid blade, & Screw Coil Overwound pickup in my test SG clone.
                                I will take it out soon and install it in a Ibby Lefty Clone I have, but need to do some rewiring on the guitar first.
                                This pickup has 2 coils, each wound to 8500 turns of 43SPN, and DCR is around 17.5k at room temp.
                                It sounds surprisingly good clean, but loves gain and Drop D tuning.
                                I have a A8 magnet that was originally 1400 gauss, and I discharged it and recharged it 1000 gauss.
                                Sounds Great!
                                Some Metal player would love it for distorted Power Chords.
                                Yes I know the argument of Overwound Pickups vs. Normal Paf wound!
                                But, Dog-gone-it sometimes nothing will do except Balls to the Wall Overwound,OverDrive, & Pedal to the Metal!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28555[/ATTACH]
                                You can call it the Hyblade
                                I've seen you operating that tractor ...lol
                                Old Heavy Equipment Operator Joke there......
                                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                                X