Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it would be interesting to take one of the Philadelphia Luthier 3x3 49mm covers.
    Humbucker Size Pickup Cover 3x3 Chrome plated 49mm - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC
    They have .22" holes, and have plenty of room for threaded or plain rod magnets.
    Make your own bobbins from forbon flatwork if you want them taller, or use 49.2mm humbucker bobbins.
    You could experiment with 3x3, and 6x6 magnet layouts.
    I think the 6x6 would be a good pick.
    If you lower the magnets on the opposing 3x3 on the bottom, you would still have humbucking effect, but should still keep the brightness.
    You could use A5 Rod magnets on the 3x3 top side, and use A2s on the 3x3 bottom side.
    Or vice versa.
    Lots of options to try with the new 3x3 covers.
    There are also 54mm covers to try.
    I may try some of this without the cover.
    Just use 49.2mm bobbins, regular baseplate, and rod magnets.
    Take a mojo short leg baseplate, and drill out the screw holes so the slugs can slide through the baseplate for height adjustment.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2015, 02:26 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Interesting Repair. . .

Had a couple of interesting repairs in the shop recently. Both were painful, but I thought I’d share the one of a neck pickup from a 2008 – 4003 Rickenhacker Bass. Customer brings in the pickup saying it was very weak, so he had taken it apart to see what he could see. In the process of removing the tape, you also removed the pigtail lead for the hot side of the coil from the coil wire.

I figure this should be an easy repair. I put on a new pigtail lead, wire it back up, tape it up and test it on the meter. Comes out at just over 12.5kΩ and the inductance was ~ 4.4h, ceramic magnet test out at ~ 600, so everything looks to be within reason(ish). However, I don’t have a bass to put it in to properly test it out. When the customer gets it back in the bass, he says it works, but is really weak relative to the bridge. I’m left scratching my head a bit.

Customer brings it back, this time with his bass.

I put it back on the meters and everything seems OK, but yes, when it is in the bass you can barely hear it. So I pull it out and after scratching my heat a bit and wondering how can the magnet be doing much if its charge is through the thin side as the screws passing through it. So I place a pair of A5 bar magnets on either side of the screws and throw it back into the bass. It kicks ass! Customer gets the big dumb grin on his face as he bought the Ricky used and that pickup had never worked.

So I tell him to leave it with me and I’ll remove the ceramic magnet and permanently put the A5’s in place. I get that done and let the customer know it’s ready to go. The morning he is ready to drop by for it, I put it back on the meter and there is no continuity. Unbelievable! So I call off the customer off.

I decide to rewind the bobbin. When I pull the old coil wire off, I see how the ground is connected. There is a pin pressed in from the bottom of the bobbin through the middle of the wind area which protrudes into the wind surface a fair bit and is very, very rough. I’m guessing the coil wire broke in any number of spots along that hookup pin. I file and sand it smooth and put a wind of tape around for a bit more protection.

At 12.5KΩ on that thin bobbin, I guess it can only be 44 gauge. I decide to wind it to just under 12kΩ. The original wind was very pyramid shaped and covered up a significant portion of the holes in the bottom of the bobbin when the hot lead pigtail wire goes through. So I wind it up with a nicer rolled shape to ensure I get nice clean access to the holes without risk of the coil wire interfering. I run both pigtails as I would for a humbucker wind, then pass them through one of the access holes. Hook it up, put it back in the bass and FINALLY its done and the owner is happy as a clam.

I learned a lot from this job, just didn’t make a lot (per hour anyway)!

I’ve added a few pics of what was and what now is because it is my morning break.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a - Ricky top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	837008Click image for larger version

Name:	b - Ricky neck - original to me.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	837009

Name:	c - cermanic - original.jpg
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	837010Click image for larger version

Name:	d - Ricy with A5s.jpg
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	837011

Name:	e - Ricky ground lead pin connector.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	837012Click image for larger version

Name:	f - Ricky coil - original.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	837013

Name:	g - Ricky coil - rewind.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	837014
      Last edited by kayakerca; 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

• Barden P/U Coil Estimator?

Anyone know or try the Barden Bridge Pickup data on the Coil Estimator?
        It says 2225 Ohms DCR, it looks like it is for a blade pickup.
        That would be around 3100 turns of wire per blade bobbin?
        I wonder what gauge of wire that would be for, 42 maybe?
        I'm trying to duplicate a bridge tele SC, but with blades.
        My 5000 turns of 43 sounded to modern, which suprised me a bit.
        So I was thinking of trying some low turns of 42 SP Red, on micro mini blade bobbins?
        I have a Pro CW player wanting to try one?
        I tried this before, I thought I would start where I left off.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• keep us informed ,I've not had the opportunity to have a look at Barden pickups but I had some readings ..
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• I just wound a couple more bobbins with 42SP.
            I will make another one.
            I also wound the two coils opposite directions, and I will run the signal outside in, Dirty Fingers Style.
            See If I can't make this one quieter.
            Gonna try some additional shielding on this one when I install it.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 03-10-2015, 03:18 PM.
            Terry

Comment

• The secret to Tele bridge blade pickups IMO, if you want twang, is less turns.
              You can use 42 or 43 Single build, and low turns.
              I listened to old Danny Gatton, and Arlen Roth vids for a tone reference.
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 03-10-2015, 03:51 PM.
              Terry

Comment

• I've been waiting for the 5/16, and 3/8" diameter A5 Rod magnets from Shea at Magnetic Hold since Christmas.
                Because of the China holidays, and the Dock workers Strikes, they have been slow getting made and delivered.
                Mine will supposedly be shipped this Tuesday.
                If you need any He will keep these in stock,
                They are listed on his magnet list under A5 rod magnets.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
                Last edited by big_teee; 03-22-2015, 03:26 PM.
                Terry

Comment

• great news that the 5/16" and 3/8" A5s will be shipping soon, and that these will be kept as a regular in-stock item

Comment

• Magnetic Hold magnets are a little more expensive, but all of them I've used are top quality and sound good.
                    I like The A2 Bar magnets they sell, better than any I've used.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• Has anyone made a set of Hot P-Bass pickups?
                      I was asked if I could wind some in the 15k or so range?
                      I guess that would be 43?
                      I'm fixing to get a cheap P-Bass to take the router to, I may have to try that.
                      Y
                      Terry

Comment

• I went this route
                        Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s | Musician's Friend
                        Jazz Bass Black Top Style Guitar Pickguard w PB Pickup Hole 4ply Red Tortoise | eBay
                        So I can do both Jazz Bass & Precision
                        Last edited by copperheadroads; 03-29-2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Very Nice Copper!
                          I'm fixing to order one of these next week.
                          SX Ursa 1 MN 3TS Left Handed w/Bag - RondoMusic.com
                          I'm going to rout 2 2" x 4" holes.
                          One where the P pickups are, and one right below the pickguard in the sweet spot!
                          That way I can test most any soapbar, P, J, MM, or MC type pickups.
                          I need it right away to test some new bass pickups.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• I've pulled the pickups on this Squier Vintage Modified 70's bass & it looks like Plain Enamel wire ....it looks like the real deal not the fake stuff . ..huh

Comment

• Does it have flatwork and magnets, or plastic bobbins?
                              Terry

Comment

• They are plastic bobbin
                                the pickups a called "Fender Designed"

Comment

Working...
                                X