This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Got to knock down a bunch of timber yet before I do any winding ........Can't wait
    Try to stay warm, and by the way, if you happen to see any old growth Red Spruces that are bigger than half a meter diameter, and mostly free of knots, set them to the side and give Martin and Gibson a call.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
      Try to stay warm, and by the way, if you happen to see any old growth Red Spruces that are bigger than half a meter diameter, and mostly free of knots, set them to the side and give Martin and Gibson a call.
      Now you got me thinking
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hi gang:
        Has anyone else tried these fabric Tapes?
        It's great stuff, the glue is right, not too sticky but stays put, but you can get it loose if necessary.
        I have about quit using anything else.
        I use it a lot of times where I probably should use paper tape.
        I have the narrow .260" and the .450" Medium.
        I've started taping my overwound Strat coils with the .450".
        Sure makes them more durable, and more Newbie Pickup Installer Proof.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

The snow is coming down hard here in Brattleboro,VT. I occupied myself by trying to see how much I could unwind from an old ceramic pup without breaking it. I thought maybe I could use a drill and a dowel to wind up the wire and use it for practice. Effing pointless I must have broken it at least 50 times before I gave up and just cut the rest off. Everyone having a good day today?

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
            The snow is coming down hard here in Brattleboro,VT. I occupied myself by trying to see how much I could unwind from an old ceramic pup without breaking it. I thought maybe I could use a drill and a dowel to wind up the wire and use it for practice. Effing pointless I must have broken it at least 50 times before I gave up and just cut the rest off. Everyone having a good day today?

-Rob
            That has been pretty much my experience. Most of the times I have tried to unwind a pickup wasn't to try to save the wire but to get the winding data for a rewind. If there are any too tight sections in the wind it will bury the part you need to unwind under some other layers and it is next to impossible to keep from breaking it there. That is called cascading by the wire manufacturers, and it also sometimes can happen near the edges of the roll on a new roll of wire that was wound too tight. I have spent days trying to unwind certain old pickups to get the data. Now I always weigh them first and then unwind counting turns per layer until I just get too frustrated or can't go further then cut the rest off like you did. But then with the before and after weight and some calculations I usually end up with the data I need to rewind it close to how the original was.
            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

One thing I figured out was that if you remove the eyelets it makes one less thing for the wire to snag on. Another problem I had was that the wrap tape left a bunch of gunk when I peeled it off. So it was quite a few turns before I could pull it freely with out the gunk holding it back. Good tip about weighing it, though; I'll remember that. Do you have the math figured out for weight vs. turns? I know it will vary a bit by gauge...

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                Do you have the math figured out for weight vs. turns? I know it will vary a bit by gauge...

-Rob
                What I use are these tables from Elektrisola. NEMA MW1000C

I use a tenths reading micrometer to measure the wire diameter, and measure the resistance of a 10 foot sample, then find the nearest thing in the table. Then you can use the ft/lb and the ohms/1000ft columns to get back to approximate turns and ohms that were in the original. I like to use the Coil Estimator that Salvarsan made. Coil Estimator
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

It's very interesting how the only way to fit the winds is to wind them at least an 80% perfection rate. Now I understand why people fill the bobbin to the brim and still cant hit the right specs. They're scattering way too much. Thank you for this very helpful insight; I'm sure it will save me a great deal of headache.

-Rob

Comment

Hi Guys:
                    You can do a lot wire research on the MWS Site also.
                    MWS Wire Industries - Magnet Wire Specifications
                    I used to wear that site out, but not lately.
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Spring and Tax Returns must be Just around the Corner.
                      Starting to get several Calls and Emails about Pickups?
                      Everyone on the forum is pretty quiet, you must be getting busy!
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Spring and Tax Returns must be Just around the Corner.
                        Starting to get several Calls and Emails about Pickups?
                        Everyone on the forum is pretty quiet, you must be getting busy!
                        T
                        I hear ya
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Bit quiet on this thread recently so I figured I'd give it a little bump!

Made this the other day, humbucker sized rail singlecoil. I wound on 10,000 turns of 43 PE and put 2 Alnico II bars underneath which I degaussed slightly. I have it in the bridge of a weird Tele I made paired with a Jazzmaster pickup in the middle. Its a great combo, definitely more grit and breakup on the rail, huge bottom end too which I didn't expect, very fat sounding bridge pickup.

I really like rail pickups but it seems the general public aren't too keen on the looks

Click image for larger version

Name:	541848_450614804986357_1224894315_n_zps033b3c69.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	828136

Dave

Comment

Thanks for posting, it has been quiet.
                            I too like ralis but they don't seem to get the vintage crowd too excited.
                            Did You make the top piece of fiber, or is that something someone sells?
                            Here's a new magnet list, I just received from Shea, from Magnetic Hold.
                            I will post it here, it's as good a place as any.
                            There are 2 tabs, one for rods, and one for bar magnets.
                            If you want prices, email him at.
                            shea@magnetichold.net
                            See Resources thread for attachment.
                            Last edited by big_teee; 02-21-2013, 06:58 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

I cut both pieces from Fiberboard on my minimill. I was playing around with blueing on the steel, thats why its darker in the middle (rubbed off on the edges)

Comment

I repaired 2 pickups recently.
                                Both were Strat Pickups.
                                One was Fender looking Single Coil.
                                It was black forbon, and had a 2R sticker on the back.
                                It was wound South up CCW, with 42 HFV.
                                I mic'd the wire and it was right at .0028.
                                It was a very full coil and measured .565" across the coil.
                                It was open, so don't know what the DCR was.
                                It measured .435" bobbin height.
                                The A5 magnets were still full strength over 1000g.
                                The other pickup was a Seymour Duncan Stacked pickup to fit a small bridge hole.
                                It apparently is a discontinued model. The number on the back did not match their current line.
                                I was able to repair the pickup by putting tails on the starts and finish leads.
                                Also Had to replace the 4 wire cable that was very short and in need of replacement.
                                I'm also working on another hybrid PAF set.
                                I take standard Mojo PAF kits. I wind the neck as is, with the 49.2mm parts.
                                The bridge I modify.
                                I replace the 49.2mm bobbins and keeper.
                                I use a 50mm keeper and the larger 50mm GPUSA bobbins.
                                I file, or use a drill to elongate the 6 pole holes in the basplate to accomodate the 50mm screw bobbin.
                                I slightly overwind the bridge P/U.
                                So what I end up with is a 49.2mm long leg low wound neck pickup.
                                For the Bridge I end up with a 50mm long leg bridge pickup.
                                This makes a long leg PAF Looking set that perfectly lines up with the strings, on LP and most Humbucker Guitars.
                                When they are in the guitar You can't tell the pickups are different sizes.
                                I use one 49.2, and one 50mm Nickel cover.
                                Everyone that has played and tried these like them. LP players seem to love them.
                                Give it a whirl.
                                So what have you guys been working on?
                                T
                                **Edit note: the reason for modifying the 50mm baseplate.
                                There are no readily available PAF Long leg base plates.
                                by modiying the baseplate you end up with a matching set, even though one is 49.2, and one is 50mm.
                                Too much trouble for some, but Players seem to like them, You can charge for the extra effort. I do!
                                Last edited by big_teee; 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X