Best way to get the word out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get the word out?

How did you get the word out to customers when you first started selling pickups? What did you do to build your reputation? (beside making great pickups!) I've got a website set up; and a facebook page for my company - Satori Magnetics Both are in the beginning stages and arent completely up to speed yet, but will be in the coming week. Is there anyone who does video reviews and endorsements? I might be willing to give someone 50% off if they have a strong reputation and will do a video demo (gotta be able to JAM) and honest review, with links to my websites. Unless someone has a better idea? Thank you.

-Rob
    Last edited by rhgwynn; 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM.

I'm curious how many pickups you have wound ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

To start with the Pickup market is pretty saturated already.
      One way to get the word out, is to get local and regional players using your products.
      Most Local guitar stores, will sell on consignment. It can tie your money up for a while though.
      Good Luck,
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        To start with the Pickup market is pretty saturated already.
        One way to get the word out, is to get local and regional players using your products.
        Most Local guitar stores, will sell on consignment. It can tie you money up for a while though.
        Good Luck,
        T
        That's a good idea T; I'll definitely try that. At first I just wound a few sets for my strat on a very rudimentary homemade winder with parts kits from stewmac. No counter, just wound to the resistance I was shooting for. Truthfully, I never planned on making this a business. But, it was just so fun and easy that I decided what the hell, let's see what I can do with some real equipment and the knowledge I've found here. I've learned so damn much coming here to read daily; I can't thank this place enough. I've even designed a few pups of my own that I think havent been done before. If I ever make enough doing this, I'll definitely have parts for a prototype made, since they dont exist yet. Anyway, I really needed something to do with my life, and I think this could be just that. I'd be happy if I only sold 2 or 3 sets a month, or even just 1! I'd love to make some money but mostly, it will be a hobby and a labor of love before anything else. I believe it's important to have that passion. Once you start doing it solely for the money it's no longer fun and you cant enjoy yourself. I'd wind them all day if I could; the cost for parts adds up fast though. Fortunately, most of the one-time expenses are out of the way. Good thing they're giving away websites like hotcakes!

-Rob

Comment

Cool

Comment

The reason I asked is because of all the questions in winder section about buying a winder .I wasn't sure if you wound any pups

Comment

I have, was just looking to 'move up' to better, more robust equipment.

-Rob

Comment

+1 on going local and then letting the winds push you wherever they will.
                Forget going National, specially on a relatively saturated market.
                Plus, you don't really *need* it.

I think a realistic and *very* fulfilling goal is to become "the guy to check for pickups" in your Town .
                If later many in, say, 20 miles around think of you when they want a pickup rewound , experiment with a new sound, choose a pickup for a new build, etc. , consider yourself happy.
                Try to relate to and work with somebody who already "has a name", even if local only.
                Maybe a Luthier, a Guitar Teacher (or Music Academy), a shop "where many buy", even a Music Teacher at some school.
                Somebody who gets along with you, who likes your work and can steer potential customers your way.
                Maybe regularly (say, once a Month) visit the local Shops to chit chat and let them know you are around.
                Without pressure you'll soon start something.
                Maybe not to become the next Bill Gates .... but still something fulfilling.
                Good luck.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Good advice here

Ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                  X