Clear All

• Stratz
    replied
    Great work

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    66 P-Bass Pickup set Restoration

Here are the last pictures of the finished 66 P-Bass Pickup set Restoration.
    It turned out better than I first figured.
    Now on to the 74 Tele Neck pickup rewind.
    If you do any rewinds, please show your project in this thread!
    T
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-20-2015, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    I started the P-set rewind first.
    Both coils were open, and no continuity from either lead to any magnet.
    Because of the bad flaring I tore them down and straightened everything best I could.
    I wound them back with a -5% wind, or 9500 turns of 42 HFV per coil.
    They read about 5300 ohms DCR each.
    Here are pics before I pot and assemble.
    Note, I did minimal cleaning on flatwork, and covers per shop owners instructions.
    He wants them to look old.
    I included the wiring layout.
    All 60s and 70s P-sets, that I have rewound with a brass baseplate, have been wired this way.
    On new P pickups, I wire them a bit different, but on rewinds I always go back, like I took them a part.
    T
    **Edit
    Diagram, is viewed from the top of the pickups looking down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-22-2015, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    I look for any thing obvious that needs repaired, but I don't go to great lengths, or spend lots of time, to repair them.
    If it's something I can't quickly find, I usually drive the magnets out, slip the coil off, rebuild, and rewind.
    On the Ps with the warped fiber, I will take them all a part, straighten, and rewind.
    I drew out a layout for the P set.
    The bass coil is South up CW(Right Shaft, bottom going), with the Finish to ground.
    The Treble coil is North up CCW(Right Shaft, Top Going), with the start lead to + output.
    The tele, I haven't looked at yet.
    I agree that the Ps have been wet, I had trouble getting one of the covers off.
    I thought it was going to fragment, when I pulled on it, I put some heat on it, and I was able to pop it off.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-20-2015, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stratz
    replied
    You may be able to save the Tele pickup. First re-flow the solder joints. If that doesn't work heat it up and remove the cover. Heat the pickup up good, break the finish end from the solder joint and unwind a few turns. Sand the insulation and test for a reading.
    You can get lucky sometimes and unwind one turn from the start end if you get the pickup good and warm and pull very easily and slowly. Sand the insulation and test.

For the P's I'd cut the wire off, straighten out the flats, tqpe the magnets and rewind.
    And there goes any profit......

Leave a comment:

• 52 Bill
    replied
    I don't build pickups, only rewind them when needed. My first step after documenting all pertinent data is to carefully check the winding ends where they reach the eyelets. I would guess that 25% of all dead ones have issues there, making repairing a fairly simple job.

The P-Bass pickup shows signs of sweat/water/humidity corrosion. It may be too far gone to fix and may need to be completely rebuilt.

Have you tried taking resistance readings from the magnets to the lead wires? Sometimes that will show you where the problems are.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    started a topic Pickup Rewinds

Pickup Rewinds

Here's a thread just for pickup rewinds.
    I have two pickups to start with.
    A 66 P-Bass set, and a 74 Tele Neck pickup.
    The 66 set is really in rough shape.
    I will probably totally disassemble and try to straighten, and dewarp the flatwork.
    It is warped very badly, and the covers don't sit on the pickups properly.
    The 66 set has gray flatwork, but has 42 HFV wire, with cloth hookup wire.
    The 74 Tele pickup physical shape doesn't look too bad.
    It has 43 PE wire, and plastic, or teflon hookup wire.
    All 3 coils seem to be open.
    Attached Files
Working...
X