X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratz
    replied
    That larger B rod is cracks me up.
    I would have guessed Alnico III for 1955.
    You'll need to use lamp black wax mixture or it wont match the rest of the set.

I have a '55 coming as well. I'll post the specs when I get to it.

Leave a comment:

• kayakerca
    replied
    Pulled the '55 Strat Middle apart today. . .

- Wind direction = CW
    - Magnetic Polarity = N up
    - Magnet diameter = .187" average (ranged from .183" - .187" remembering corrosion factor), except for the 'b' = .193 [measured it a bunch of times (a bit weird)]
    - 'E' to 'e' outside distance measurement 2.235" - 2.2375" (depending on where you measured [remember corrosion issue])
    - Width of top flatwork = .611" (in middle between 'd' & 'g', .600" (at "E" and 'e')
    - Length of top flatwork = 2.617"
    - Bobbin height between flats = .435" - .439" (depending on where exactly you measured)
    - Wire diameter including insulation = .0029" (8 sample locations), .0028" (2 sample locations). Formvar
    - Magnet gauss readings (range 890 - 980 depending on specific magnet)

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Strat bobbin - before cleanup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	841527Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Strat bobbin - after cleanup.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	841528Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Strat bobbin - after cleanup - top.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	841529

Still has lots of patina after the cleanup, but no rust. A couple coats of lacquer and a layer of tape before winding should see that it lasts for many years to come. I'll go light on the tension to minimize (as much as possible) the probability of having the reduced diameter rod magnets (from rust) letting the flatwork flair out.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    Nice looking 55 relic.
    I tape pickups if they are real full, and it helps make them more durable.
    I figure fender quit because they could save that cost.
    The only other specs I need, is core length, height between flats, wind direction and polarity.
    Wire diameter would be nice if you have time to measure it.
    Thanks,
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 04-03-2016, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kayakerca
    replied
    It definitely looks its age, but I was surprised (rightly or wrongly) to find that it was taped. All three of them were.

Name:	Strat '55 - Middle.jpg
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	841488

Leave a comment:

• kayakerca
    replied
    Here's the specs off the '55 Strat Neck and Bridge pickups that go with the Middle I have for repair. I compared those to one I wound a couple years back for a customer looking for an earlish spec Strat pickup.

Name:	Comparison - 1955 Strat.PNG
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	841487

I should get to the physical dimensional stuff this week and a few photos.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    You can wind them that way if you want to, and that is a viable option.
    I used to do that, but found they pick up more noise if the output is on the start.
    Especially if you touch the magnets. It makes the output closer to ground through induction.
    I try to always put the output on the finish, making a true RWRP middle pickup.
    I would try to sell him another authentic looking RWRP pickup, and put the original in a safe place.
    T

Leave a comment:

• Stratz
    replied
    Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
    Will have a middle pickup off a '55 Strat coming to the shop this week from the local luthier. The customer wants the repair and rewind to change it to a RWRP middle so he can add a 5-way. I was thinking it was a terrible route to go if you have a '55,
    I would wind it stock ('55 should be CCW north up) but charge it to south polarity (RP) and just reverse the leads. This way it will still be stock but noise cancelling and all that would be needed to return it to '55 specs is to reverse the polarity back to north up.

Just make certain that you insulate the pole pieces before you wind it so there will be no chance of shorts.
    I use Kapton tape but plain old scotch tape will work in a pinch.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    Jim if you do rewind it?
    Please post all the specs of a 1955 Fender Stratocaster Pickup!
    Magnet diameter, & Length. Height between the flats.
    Wind direction & magnet orientation.
    Wire type, diameter, TPL, & DCR.
    That willl help a lot for anyone that wants to make a pickup from that era.
    I will put this info in my pickup database.
    Thanks for Sharing.
    T

Leave a comment:

• kayakerca
    replied
    Will have a middle pickup off a '55 Strat coming to the shop this week from the local luthier. The customer wants the repair and rewind to change it to a RWRP middle so he can add a 5-way. I was thinking it was a terrible route to go if you have a '55, but the luthier says it is a bit of a parts caster as the neck has been replaced. Serial number fits the '55 though, 7151 if I remember. This luthier has the coolest toy in town! A Plek! I've seen it in action in his shop and man it is just WAY cool! He's only had it since January and I think he said he has done over 150 fret levels, neck slots, nuts on it in that timeframe.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    I'm done with the string, unless I get a lot extra to put it on.
    I'll leave that to you guys.
    I have + markup for things I don't want to do.
    Like +$5 for 4 wire cable, +$5 for humbucker rewinds with covers, etc.
    String may be in the + $10-$20 add-on range!
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2016, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kayakerca
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
    For what it is worth --- I use 100% cotton string from Regency. I buy it in 1lb cones which is about 1200 feet. It seems very close, if not exact, to the original string used in the early 60s.
    I use 12 Ply Cotton Twine from Uline. Only comes in 4,200' rolls for $18.00 Cdn. Ya, I definitely have a multi lifetime supply.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Darr
    replied
    For what it is worth --- I use 100% cotton string from Regency. I buy it in 1lb cones which is about 1200 feet. It seems very close, if not exact, to the original string used in the early 60s.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Darr
    replied
    Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I have a Tele bridge pickup to rewind.
    It has the black dyed string on the outside.
    I've always just taped mine, so I'm not savvy on the string.
    My question is when do you put the string back on.
    Before or after potting.
    Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    T
    Terry,

Put the string back on before you wax pot. Start at the top and work your way to the bottom with the string. Then tuck the finish end under the last layer and pull tight. Once you pot and remove from the wax you can easily press any loose string (from the end wrap) tight against the string and let cool. This method works very well for me.

Fender supposedly used "lamp black" in the wax mixture to color the string black back in the day. This is something I don't really understand since "lamp black" can be conductive. Today, I would consider black dye for the job. Since your rewind string is already black I would just wax pot it in the regular paraffin/bees wax bath.

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    The 72 custom bridge pickup before and after pictures.
    I'll take it back to the guitar store tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• big_teee
    replied
    I canceled myself out!
    I had plenty of room for clothe tape, but not enough room for the string.
    Since he wanted 2 wire shield hook-up wire and it over wound?
    He gets it with clothe tape too. I think he will dig it.

History of the pickup.
    It's the pickup from the guitar shop, I had it out here before.
    The shop didn't want to pay what I get to have it rewound.
    They thought they would probably not sell it.
    The shop owner gave it to a guy that is building a parts caster.
    It originally came out of a 72 Deluxe with the bare push back wire lead.
    It had no baseplate. The owner bought a new nice copper plated baseplate for it.
    The guy I'm rewinding it for, was just trying to come up with a good quality pickup.
    So vintage wasn't really that big of a deal.
    To this day I can't believe that Leo Fender ever endorsed the String wrapping phenomenon.
    Thanks again!
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2016, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X