This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    If i remember correctly the pickup attached to pots assembly is some sort of Fender pickup
    Looks like a Valco/Supro string-thru lap steel assembly to me.
    Jason can tell you all about them.

The thing with 4 single coils... no idea.

-rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• The Supro's can be a bitch.... paper bobbins...

Comment

• I think supro lap steel actually came off what they call a Coodercaster
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Hi Guys:
          I've never seen any of Copper's stuff, but it all looks cool !
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            I think supro lap steel actually came off what they call a Coodercaster
            Well, there's your Fender connection:
            Coodercaster = lap steel bridge and gold foil neck pickups mounted in a Strat.
            (Tuning to open D is optional.)

But what is the other thing? Are those bakelite bobbins?
            It looks like it could be a part from a Singer Featherweight.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	AF491415d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	845350

-rb

PS - I agree with T. Cool stuff.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• The 4 pickup on the can comes from a eko ekomaster 400

Comment

• Ah, of course, Ekomaster 400! Had to look that one up. The guitar with a pushbutton transmission...

Name:	gjdeee4j96uvhegksesh.jpg
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	845360 Click image for larger version

Name:	1950s-gear-shift-g.jpg
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	845361

https://reverb.com/item/90276-eko-ek...1-blue-sparkle
                Pickups are a tad quiet and microphonic and don't do well with extreme gain. Sounds great with a cleaner / mild overdriven amp.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• The owner finds the EKO pickups thin sounding so I may rewind them ,they all read in the 8.5k range & magnets are quite strong so weak magnets are whats wrong .
                  A few pics Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	845381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.JPG
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	845382Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.JPG
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	845383
                  the bobbin is not full so i would suspect it's 44 gauge or smaller . I'm not sure if rewinding this little humbucker sized bobbin will help fatten the tone much ,I would reverse the poles of one set & turn it into humbuckers then they would be fat!!!
                  Last edited by copperheadroads; 04-26-2017, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Obvious Says

Going by the selection switch configuration, I reckon 1+4 and 2+3 could be humbucking pairs.
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• The only problem with the Cooder Valco pickup is the G string is weak .

Comment

• A couple of Tele bridges - '66/'67

I have a couple of Tele bridges in for rewinds. They are '66/'67, so just at the start of of the CBS time. Both grey bottom and marked as '67. Notice any difference between the 2 bobbins?

Name:	Tele bridges.JPG
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	845485

The top flatworks have the same physical length and width. The bottom flatwork pole piece spacing is the same, but the spacing on the top flatworks is another story. . .
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

• Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                          I have a couple of Tele bridges in for rewinds. They are '66/'67, so just at the start of of the CBS time. Both grey bottom and marked as '67. Notice any difference between the 2 bobbins?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43499[/ATTACH]

The top flatworks have the same physical length and width. The bottom flatwork pole piece spacing is the same, but the spacing on the top flatworks is another story. . .
                          I've seen a few similar examples, but nothing that bad. Well, its only rock & roll, so little issues like this shouldn't matter a whole lot. LOL

I have a bridge Tele top flatwork from the same era that was punched "way off" center. So much for QC in the good old days. Sometimes I think if it made a sound it was okay.
                          =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by kayakerca View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43499[/ATTACH]

The bobbin above on the left wound pretty nicely. All the old patina still intact (flatwork, magnets, lead wires, base plate, etc.) Just the new 42PE. Still needs to be potted and string wrapped, but that's for tomorrow.

Name:	67 Tele Bridge.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	845495

We'll have to see how the bridge on the right with the narrowed pole piece top flatwork winds up. That'll be Friday after a few days for the lacquer to cure up.
                            Last edited by kayakerca; 05-11-2017, 12:48 AM.
                            Take Care,

Jim. . .
                            VA3DEF
                            ____________________________________________________
                            In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

• I received a Tele guitar with issues.
                              Apparently it is a parts caster.
                              It has a nice 3 tone burst body with top binding.
                              The neck is a B-Heifner, licensed Tele Neck.
                              The bridge pickup says Van zant on the copper plated baseplate.
                              It measures open, and doesn't work.
                              The neck pickup still works but is muffled, and measures nearly 9K ohms.
                              The pickup switch is a 4 way, and does parallel and series.
                              Both pickups are wound CCW, bridge is South up, and the neck is North up.

Since I've never fooled with a four way switch, and series wiring, not sure about both being wound CCW?
                              Also both pickups have heavy masking tape over the magnet polls.
                              I've always let the magnets touch the cover and baseplate, with no tape.
                              Curious how others do theirs?
                              I plan on rewinding both with 42 gauge single.

Any input welcome?
                              T
                              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                              Terry

Comment

• One of the common 4 way wiring schemes has both pickups in parallel in one of the mid positions, and in the other position both pickups in series. For the series wiring to work, one of the pickups - in 4 ways I've wired, the neck pickup - has to be "floated", that is neither lead connected to ground. And that means intentionally or by accident. The tape may be in there to insulate the pickup from its metal cover. Hope this helps, Terry.
                                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                                X